Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 114 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

N9ZAS Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2012 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Top notch tri band talkie!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can't say enough, to do this talkie justice other than if needed I would buy another.
Programming by keypad is a learning curve but doable with time. I ordered a programming cable for the software but never did get it work properly. I think I ordered a poor cable is the reason. I performed the quad band mod and it now has approx. 1.5watts on 6 meters to add to 2,220 & 440 bands as well.
I have submerged this radio in the sink for 5 minutes while powered up to see how waterproof it really was, and it never failed!
I also ordered the ear/mic from kawamall.com and it works great with the vx6r. A wide selection of antennas to go with this radio for each band is a must. There supposedly is a 2200mah battery with the model# G90LI but I have yet to see one offered for purchase yet?

KC1AR Rating: 3/5 Oct 21, 2012 11:09 Send this review to a friend
PTT SWITCH FAILURE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the VX6R mainly because it has Far Better receive audio than it's competitor THF6A, of which I have 2 of, but it definitely has an inferior PTT Switch and if you are a moderate user of this radio, chances are it may not fail you.
I've had 3 Yaesu VX-6R Handheld Radio's and each one has had a PTT Switch failure, 2 out of 3 were just over 1 Year Old so Yaesu declined to repair them under warrantee. The newest one I own is on it's way back to Yaesu for the 5th time. It's 1st trip was for a VFO Locking problem. It took 2 returns before Yaesu could repair it properly. As luck would have it, the night that radio's warrantee expired, the PTT Switch failed. After some persuasion, Yaesu agreed to repair it again under warrantee, mostly because it was just back from their service center within the month. After its 3rd repair, the PTT Switch lasted for 1/2 a day before failing again. Yaesu was very Apologetic and this time sent a call tag paying for its 4th trip back to the repair center. Upon it's return, the PTT Switch worked for a while, but the Radio was 2 KC's off frequency. Their Technician walked me through a procedure that allowed me to get it back on frequency. Well, 2 months later the PTT Switch failed again. It's now on its way back to the service center for the 5th time. 3 of which are for the PTT Switch.
I have been the owner of many Yaesu products through out the years, as far back as the 1960's. I am disheartened knowing Yaesu has fallen from it's status as a World Class Manufacture and service center of Amateur Radio equipment.

KC9LWC Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2012 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Can Handle Nearly Any Conditions  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my Yaesu VX-6R for many years now, and don't have too many complaints. I chose this particular HT because I'm an avid storm chaser and needed something that felt solid and could handle extreme moisture. Ths VX-6R is built like a tank and can handle just about any weather or operating condition you can throw at it. I've dropped it in five feet of water for a good 15 seconds, while turn on, picked it out and it kept chugging right along no problems. It's tri-band and that means the stock rubber-duck antenna is a compromise, and it is. If you don't need 220 I'd recommend picking up a nice 2m/440 antenna for it, or even just a monoband 2m for the best performance. The audio is also a tad light due to it's pinhole microphone, but that's really being picky. If you want a ROCK SOLID RUGGED HT that is packed with featuers, pick up this radio.

WB5EFD Rating: 3/5 Aug 19, 2012 10:38 Send this review to a friend
quit working after less than 10 hours of use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this radio just over two years ago. Since I have both a FT-857D for mobile and a FT-897D for base I only used the VX-6R when working with ARES. I have used the radio less than 10 hours with transmit time probably less than 30 minutes. A few months ago it began picking up a local TV station when tuned to the 4mhz range. I went to use it a few days ago and after making sure it was fully charged turned it on and no receive. The busy light was on constantly along with noise. Tried resetting the squelch and it was the same from zero squelch to 15 so tried a master reset which did not work either. Contacted Yaesu support and was asked to ship it back to them. I'm waiting to see if it's going to cost more to fix it than it's worth.

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2012 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Update..liking it even more  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In reviewing spec's, advertising, and other literature before deciding on this model I had never gotten the impression that this HT was a capable dual-bander also. Well, if you want to work the birds this little puppy can do it. In addition to all it's other features it has a memory save function that allows split frequency saves and the ability to allocate which one is transmit or receive. You can go VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF, or VHF/UHF and visa versa. You can also assign each split freq it's own CTCSS and DTC values. Add one more note to my last review. In hiking around town I was beginning to get a lot of bad signal reports in various areas. Disturbing to say the least. Well, I had an old scanner antenna that extends about 24 inch's. I checked it against my analyzer and it looked good. I put it on the radio and I'm now back to great reports. That being said I might recommend an aftermarket antenna to make this about the best HT package going...73's K5ATE

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2012 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Just the right amount of ease of use and small size..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a couple of days use so far. I bought this radio used off Ebay in lieu of the Kenwood. The Kenwood interested me as it puts out a full 5 watts on 220. That said, there were also quite a few complaints of water damage from rain or ?. Whatever the reason the last thing I wanted was a radio I couldn't carry in bad weather. I opted for the VX-6R. And since receiving it I haven't even glanced back. The prevailing attributes so far are one, battery longevity. Does this thing ever go dead? And second, the waterproof aspects. The screen had some very light scuffs on it. I've learned long ago to buff these marks out with toilet tissue and a bit of toothpaste. It works well. When I'm done I usually have to carefully remove the toothpaste residue with a damp cloth. In this case I decided to take Yaesu's claims all the way and just put the radio under a very slow stream of water at the kitchen sink. That and a little scrubbing with a dish cloth and no more residue.... I guarantee you that a little rain is not going to effect this radio in the least.

Now... what about txmt and rcv...? I don't have any antenna but the stock to use on it other than my base station roof mount. With the roof mount I was doing absolutely great. As good as my Icom 208H which I use as a base, mobile, and portable. At first I got some reports of weak modulation. I turned the mic gain up to 8 (1-10) and reports went from good to much better. I changed antennas and put the stock rubber ducky on and most reception in the house died off. In all fairness though, I have a steel roof and stucco walls. All my receivers have a hard time. The 6R did as good as any of my other radios under the circumstances.

I then took it out side to see how it did. I couldn't rouse up any simplex traffic but I was hitting my local repeaters with less than full wattage. Many of these repeaters are about 7 to 12 miles away but at great elevations... so no real test there. All signal reports were good and no one had a problem copying me. Now lastly, the menu system. I have AOR, Alinco DX 70TH, Icom 208H, Yaesu 857, and an asst. of other scanners and radios. By far I prefer the Yaesu company's menu functions over all others. I must admit though that the 6R is a bit harder to use than even the FT 857D's. But 2 days down and I can get around it well enough but not good enough to leave the manual at home when I go hiking. If your looking for a great HT, built tough with a great batterylife and 220 transmit (1.5 watt), this is a great deal. 73... K5ATE

PU1-MLL Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2012 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Great HT - Congratulations  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everything began because it was cheapest, but now, Im so happy. Easy to use, nice reception. Very Good

KF7HCZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first HT radio. What a keeper. I only wish I could afford more of them. Tx great, Rx great. Built solid. Easy to follow instructions IF you take your time. Have the Diamond 320 on it. Dont notice a difference between it and the ducky. Ordered a Slim Jim (N9TAX) and an Ed Fong for it. Will update my review later to include these two antennas.

73s

N4KTZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Another Great Yaesu HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a few Yaesu HT's and this one is another great one! It is built like a tank and has a very good receiver in it. Audio is very good and my signal reports are very good to. I wish I had the programming cable because I am sure it would make programming a lot easier. I will have to pick up the cable sometime. This radio recieves other bands as well. Mine does have 220 MHZ but the transmit is lower wattage than 2 meter and 440mhz. Still, it is nice to have 220mhz. More hams should use 220 MHZ. This is a very good radio for those who do not need so much the VX 8 has. A great radio!

N4XTS Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2011 02:04 Send this review to a friend
Best compact HT on the market  Time owned: more than 12 months
The VX-6R is the best bang for the buck if you want a small HT. Aside from great TX and RX audio, super battery life, it also does decently on 220 despite RF output only being 1.5 watts. I find it much better than the full power Kenwood TH-F6A. I've owned both rigs and the VX-6 is much better build quality, is about 60 percent louder from the speaker, and the keypad is easier to use.

Battery life is commendable. I've left mine on for three days straight 24 hours a day monitoring with occasional transmit. You can talk on high power for about 4-6 hours of heavy use, better than most, which also makes it ideal for public service work. Speaking of, the full submersion rating means you don't have to worry if it gets wet outdoors. Some complained about the threaded audio jack. From a standpoint of a commercial radio user, this is a BLESSING not a CURSE. Not only does this mean the rig is watertight when closed, but it also keeps you from yanking out your mike cord. If you are physically active and wearing a remote mike, this is a big plus.

The radio is easy to program from the keypad out of the box. If you do opt for the programming cable, also try the VX-6 Commander software out there on the Net. IMO, much better than the RT systems programmer.

All in all, the VX-6R is an HT done right. For the price it packs a ton of radio, has great audio and battery life, is built very well- and easy to operate.