Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Years of Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for 6+ years, with nothing but excellent trouble-free service. I don't know what happened with the last two reviewers, but this is absolutely the best, most durable handheld I have owned in the last 25 years.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA
VE6ND Rating: 1/5 Feb 21, 2016 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Poor-Not very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this to replace my 91A for some testing and RX work for up north. Noisy static filled RX not very good on TX pwr. Even with an after market antenna the RX is still poor. Pretty much a waste of money for what it is. Cute to look at but not much substance.
After repairing my 91A the VX-6 sits in a box.
N0TES Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2015 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Years of great service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've the programming software and all repeaters within a five state area are in my VX-6R. I would buy another, and as a matter of fact did, after my first one was stole from my car by some thugs in a parking lot. Greatest little HT I have ever owned. Love the compact size and the fact that it isn't made from some cheap plastic. Love it!
KF7HCZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2014 08:11 Send this review to a friend
still loving it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this gem for a few years now. Appreciating it more all of the time. It is a bit of a challenge for me to program, but the RT software is helping. Ivave about 100 area repeaters programmed.

This think is sturdy. It is tough. I would get another if the funds were available.
K8CPA Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2014 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Nice little HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my VX-6R now for about 2-3 years.

It works very well! I finally picked up a pig tail so I can use the HT on my Comet CX-333 triband antenna. The receiver in this HT is HOT HOT HOT! I can hear repeaters in ohio like they're local around here.

I've got the 12 mobile adapter rigged to work with my Astron 35a with a piece of ladder line. (Hey, it's copper and will conduct dc power!) so, the HT is always at 5 watts.

If you use it for portable, get the Diamond SRH320A triband whip, as the stock one stinks. Otherwise, it's a decent handheld.

N4GKS Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this radio for about 8 months now and I love it. Great audio and has lots of features. I would but another in a second.
KF4BOG Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2014 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is a good radio for the ham that got his/her licence. I've had many Yaesu radio like the ft50 and also the ft60 . But you can't beat this one after you'll learned how to program the ft60 this radio is a walk in the park. So i think you should let this radio "yes" this is a must have radio
KK4PLD Rating: 2/5 Mar 21, 2014 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Low reception quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I delayed in reviewing this radio publicly until I have tested every avenue possible to rule out any issues on my part.

This was my first radio after getting my license. I realize that I am working with a radio that is portable, small and low power compared to a mobile unit with 50w. I did not expect to simplex at 60 miles but to be able to hit local repeaters. I have had good audio reports to a point but the weak link is the reception. My biggest complaints are two-fold. Low quality output on the speaker and low quality reception.

Once you program a frequency in a memory it will stay there. If you do not want to scan it you can select to skip that channel. To erase any memories you can either reset or overwrite the memory. That bad part is that if you have quite a few memories on skip and you are manually tuning through the memories to a particular frequency, it may be a while until you find it if you do not know where that frequency is stored. If you know the channel it is stored in you can select it directly from the keypad.

I purchased a Diamond SRH320A antenna with the idea I would have better reception. I also purchased Diamond MR77 SMA mag-mount antenna then went with a permanent 5/8 wave Diamond SG-7500.

Reception on all these antennae results in weak and scratchy signals. I have an area of town where a particular repeater fades out due to geographical terrain. Using any portable screw on antenna makes it hard to hear the repeater, it is often scratchy and intermittant. Moving up to the 1/4 wave and 5/8 wave is not much better. When I installed my FT-8800 I was able to not lose the repeater at all where the VX6R did not perform well at all.

Yesterday I finally tested it against another handheld, a Realistic HT-202 and a VX1R that a co-worker (ham also) had. The repeater was about 7 miles from me, line of sight. In front of me was an airport, university and then downtown where the repeater antenna was located. The VX6R reception is not full scale, scratchy and audio was poor. The HT-202 had much clearer audio, less noise and almost full scale. My co-worker and I switched radios for a sanity check, he too saw the performance difference.

When I got my license I did not just buy this used at a hamfest, I researched all the hand helds using and based on my needs this radio had good reviews. All-in-all I used 4 different antennas using different locations and different users. I am very disappointed in the cost to performance ratio. If I had to do it again I would buy a Baofeng for $50.

Maybe I got a bad radio, I don't know. Again I realize that I am not working with a powerful radio but the reception should be better for the price and reputation for Yaesu. I am planning on selling this radio and getting something else.
W5PFG Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2013 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat 8 years later  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not many HT's make it this long in my collection. Normally I "upgrade" or move on to bigger and better features. Since reviewing this radio in April 2005 (under my old call,) it has been my primary go-to HT.

I have tried several other makes and models over the years and keep coming back to my trusty VX-6R.

The OEM batteries died a long time ago but I replaced them with W&W Associates brand FNB80LI's. For 1/2 the price they last twice as long as the Yaesu OEM.
KF6VTA Rating: 1/5 Oct 14, 2013 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Very very very Bad for INTERMOD!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don't you think about having one of these in a urban area with many systems around you. I live in downtown Miami and this radio is simply useless. I have an FT-60R that handles Intermod great, buy one of those instead. The VX-6R is well build, metal case, Li-Ion battery, many features in the menu, DCS, narrow/wide band, 220Mhz!.etc etc etc...Simply take it outside your house and go to downtown and you will have a useless full bars signal box with nothing to receive. Sorry Yaesu, but not this time. I tried 4 diferent units between last year and last week. I returned all. Same problem, INTERMOD INTERMOD INTERMOD!!!!!!!.....Specially in UHF. Ft-60R is a winner, VX-3r and VX-5r handle fairly well. This one becomes useless. Save your money and get an FT-60R...You will be able to see the light!