Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 116 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

KK6BRV Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2013 21:55 Send this review to a friend
Multi-band Radio, good price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here are the Stars for VX-6R:
* Good wide range reciever covering most all bands with great sensitivity.
* Good Audio sound for the small size.
* Battery lasts 7+ hours and charges in 5 hours with charge indicator.
* Submersible good for Emergency and outdoors.
* Modification and you have TX for Air band, GMRS, Marine and others. I am licensed for GMRS and a licensed private IFR pilot. It is great to carry one HT that works for many bands.

IZ1MGZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2013 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Very good old fashioned way HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice HT! simple and well made.
Nice audio quality both in tx tan rx, good display and keypad. Battery life good but may be better as the belt clip, plastic and easy to entangle in the belt.

The only minor issue (if it is) is the rotating feeling of the lower dial; when the radio is not used for a few time it has a rubbish feel but after few turns it becomes much smoother; maybe this is caused by some kind of seals. Please, give me feedback about this

N9ZAS Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2012 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Top notch tri band talkie!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can't say enough, to do this talkie justice other than if needed I would buy another.
Programming by keypad is a learning curve but doable with time. I ordered a programming cable for the software but never did get it work properly. I think I ordered a poor cable is the reason. I performed the quad band mod and it now has approx. 1.5watts on 6 meters to add to 2,220 & 440 bands as well.
I have submerged this radio in the sink for 5 minutes while powered up to see how waterproof it really was, and it never failed!
I also ordered the ear/mic from kawamall.com and it works great with the vx6r. A wide selection of antennas to go with this radio for each band is a must. There supposedly is a 2200mah battery with the model# G90LI but I have yet to see one offered for purchase yet?

KC1AR Rating: 3/5 Oct 21, 2012 11:09 Send this review to a friend
PTT SWITCH FAILURE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the VX6R mainly because it has Far Better receive audio than it's competitor THF6A, of which I have 2 of, but it definitely has an inferior PTT Switch and if you are a moderate user of this radio, chances are it may not fail you.
I've had 3 Yaesu VX-6R Handheld Radio's and each one has had a PTT Switch failure, 2 out of 3 were just over 1 Year Old so Yaesu declined to repair them under warrantee. The newest one I own is on it's way back to Yaesu for the 5th time. It's 1st trip was for a VFO Locking problem. It took 2 returns before Yaesu could repair it properly. As luck would have it, the night that radio's warrantee expired, the PTT Switch failed. After some persuasion, Yaesu agreed to repair it again under warrantee, mostly because it was just back from their service center within the month. After its 3rd repair, the PTT Switch lasted for 1/2 a day before failing again. Yaesu was very Apologetic and this time sent a call tag paying for its 4th trip back to the repair center. Upon it's return, the PTT Switch worked for a while, but the Radio was 2 KC's off frequency. Their Technician walked me through a procedure that allowed me to get it back on frequency. Well, 2 months later the PTT Switch failed again. It's now on its way back to the service center for the 5th time. 3 of which are for the PTT Switch.
I have been the owner of many Yaesu products through out the years, as far back as the 1960's. I am disheartened knowing Yaesu has fallen from it's status as a World Class Manufacture and service center of Amateur Radio equipment.

KC9LWC Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2012 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Can Handle Nearly Any Conditions  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my Yaesu VX-6R for many years now, and don't have too many complaints. I chose this particular HT because I'm an avid storm chaser and needed something that felt solid and could handle extreme moisture. Ths VX-6R is built like a tank and can handle just about any weather or operating condition you can throw at it. I've dropped it in five feet of water for a good 15 seconds, while turn on, picked it out and it kept chugging right along no problems. It's tri-band and that means the stock rubber-duck antenna is a compromise, and it is. If you don't need 220 I'd recommend picking up a nice 2m/440 antenna for it, or even just a monoband 2m for the best performance. The audio is also a tad light due to it's pinhole microphone, but that's really being picky. If you want a ROCK SOLID RUGGED HT that is packed with featuers, pick up this radio.

WB5EFD Rating: 3/5 Aug 19, 2012 10:38 Send this review to a friend
quit working after less than 10 hours of use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this radio just over two years ago. Since I have both a FT-857D for mobile and a FT-897D for base I only used the VX-6R when working with ARES. I have used the radio less than 10 hours with transmit time probably less than 30 minutes. A few months ago it began picking up a local TV station when tuned to the 4mhz range. I went to use it a few days ago and after making sure it was fully charged turned it on and no receive. The busy light was on constantly along with noise. Tried resetting the squelch and it was the same from zero squelch to 15 so tried a master reset which did not work either. Contacted Yaesu support and was asked to ship it back to them. I'm waiting to see if it's going to cost more to fix it than it's worth.

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2012 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Update..liking it even more  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In reviewing spec's, advertising, and other literature before deciding on this model I had never gotten the impression that this HT was a capable dual-bander also. Well, if you want to work the birds this little puppy can do it. In addition to all it's other features it has a memory save function that allows split frequency saves and the ability to allocate which one is transmit or receive. You can go VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF, or VHF/UHF and visa versa. You can also assign each split freq it's own CTCSS and DTC values. Add one more note to my last review. In hiking around town I was beginning to get a lot of bad signal reports in various areas. Disturbing to say the least. Well, I had an old scanner antenna that extends about 24 inch's. I checked it against my analyzer and it looked good. I put it on the radio and I'm now back to great reports. That being said I might recommend an aftermarket antenna to make this about the best HT package going...73's K5ATE

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2012 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Just the right amount of ease of use and small size..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a couple of days use so far. I bought this radio used off Ebay in lieu of the Kenwood. The Kenwood interested me as it puts out a full 5 watts on 220. That said, there were also quite a few complaints of water damage from rain or ?. Whatever the reason the last thing I wanted was a radio I couldn't carry in bad weather. I opted for the VX-6R. And since receiving it I haven't even glanced back. The prevailing attributes so far are one, battery longevity. Does this thing ever go dead? And second, the waterproof aspects. The screen had some very light scuffs on it. I've learned long ago to buff these marks out with toilet tissue and a bit of toothpaste. It works well. When I'm done I usually have to carefully remove the toothpaste residue with a damp cloth. In this case I decided to take Yaesu's claims all the way and just put the radio under a very slow stream of water at the kitchen sink. That and a little scrubbing with a dish cloth and no more residue.... I guarantee you that a little rain is not going to effect this radio in the least.

Now... what about txmt and rcv...? I don't have any antenna but the stock to use on it other than my base station roof mount. With the roof mount I was doing absolutely great. As good as my Icom 208H which I use as a base, mobile, and portable. At first I got some reports of weak modulation. I turned the mic gain up to 8 (1-10) and reports went from good to much better. I changed antennas and put the stock rubber ducky on and most reception in the house died off. In all fairness though, I have a steel roof and stucco walls. All my receivers have a hard time. The 6R did as good as any of my other radios under the circumstances.

I then took it out side to see how it did. I couldn't rouse up any simplex traffic but I was hitting my local repeaters with less than full wattage. Many of these repeaters are about 7 to 12 miles away but at great elevations... so no real test there. All signal reports were good and no one had a problem copying me. Now lastly, the menu system. I have AOR, Alinco DX 70TH, Icom 208H, Yaesu 857, and an asst. of other scanners and radios. By far I prefer the Yaesu company's menu functions over all others. I must admit though that the 6R is a bit harder to use than even the FT 857D's. But 2 days down and I can get around it well enough but not good enough to leave the manual at home when I go hiking. If your looking for a great HT, built tough with a great batterylife and 220 transmit (1.5 watt), this is a great deal. 73... K5ATE

PU1-MLL Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2012 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Great HT - Congratulations  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everything began because it was cheapest, but now, Im so happy. Easy to use, nice reception. Very Good

KF7HCZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2012 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first HT radio. What a keeper. I only wish I could afford more of them. Tx great, Rx great. Built solid. Easy to follow instructions IF you take your time. Have the Diamond 320 on it. Dont notice a difference between it and the ducky. Ordered a Slim Jim (N9TAX) and an Ed Fong for it. Will update my review later to include these two antennas.

73s