Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 116 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

KD8LQT Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2010 17:02 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST OF BEST  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THIS IS MY FIRST HANDHELD AND IT ONLY TOOK ME 1 DAY TO FIGURE IT OUT EASY FOR PROGRAM IT AND EASY TO USE THE MANUAL IS VERY FRIENDLY TRANSMIT VERY WELL AND RECEIVE VERY WELL IF YOU LOOKING FOR YOUR FIRST RADIO I JUST RECOMMEND THIS ONE

VE2TBC Rating: 0/5 Apr 22, 2010 14:29 Send this review to a friend
TV Tuner ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the radio about 5 days ago. The reviews were good and it seemed like a good buy. Wrong. The good reviews are not reflecting the poor value this radio has.
Driving to work with the radio at 449.000MHz, the repeater the guys and I are using, I saw the meter going full scale. Never happened with IC-7H, IC-W32A and IC-U82. Pressed the monitor button and I was listening to TV signal !!!!
HH was unusable at the workplace! Called the dealer and he said he was not surprised. Too wide open. He said even if I am getting another unit, it would not help. The problem will simply move to others frequency just because of part tolerance. He was right. Called a friend who owns a VX-6R and he said that he is getting TV signal at 147.270 MHz.
This radio is junk. I will do ham stuff when I want and where I want. Not where the radio will allow me to. Also the power setting were not aligned properly. Low1 = 30 mw, low2=100 mw, low3= 400mw and high = 3.5 watts. Needed to search on the internet for the service menu and aligned it miself.
I know why Yaesu radios are cheap, they cut on labor. labor is expensive.... your labor is not ... it is free!!!!!!
Buy the VX-6R to listen to TV and become part of the Yaesu family and participate in finishing the product on the assembly line.
I returned the radio right away with pleasure!!!
73!!

KN4X Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2010 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Nice, Reliable, Good Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I spend a lot of time on HTs. I live about 1/2 mile from our club flagship machine site, so an HT is as good as 1.5KW to me:)

This unit is as good, possibly better, than any I've used since I started using HTs. Yaesu has taken their time and put an amazing amount of wisdom in this one.

One note for new hams ... I don't necessarily think this would be a great "starter" radio for a newly licensed ham. Knowledge of its features/modes/options/etc. will be limited to those with the knowledge and experience of it's capabilities, and those with the tenacity to try and learn.

Lastly, BUY THE SOFTWARE KIT (CD and cable). You will not regret it. d:)

N8TJC Rating: 4/5 Mar 16, 2010 02:19 Send this review to a friend
Not a Bad HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for almost 2 yrs. No problems until now when something has come loose or is shorting out inside the radio. The speaker cuts out if you move it, so it is back to the repair shop for a fix. This is the first HT I have owned that needed repairs. The plus side of this radio is that it has given very good service up until now. The receive quality is good and the menus are nit ti difficult to maneuver thru with a little practice. If I had to replace it, I would probably get another VX-6R. This is a nice little HT for the money.

K6NJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 10:13 Send this review to a friend
A nice handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio for about 2 months. I like the way it feels in the hand and the controls are easy to access. The battery life is excellent and I have had good luck with the inexpensive aftermarket batteries. Nice that you don't have to pay $80 for a Yaesu battery! Battery life is good, one charge lasts me for several days of mixed TX and RX. I have had the VX-7R and I find the VX-6R HT much easier to use and access the features. Not a dual receive radio, but that feature is highly over rated and not necessary in my opinion and for my use. The readout is large and easy to read. The belt clip is the only thing I don't really care for. For $10 you can get a "cell phone" type clip off ebay. I've replaced it and it seems like a better option. I've had some pretty long conversations on 5 watts and the radio does not get hot as others have stated, so I'm not sure what they are talking about.

This is a great tri-band radio and I rate it very high.

AA8KY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very nice HT, I take mine when I travel. Battery life is awesome.
I work someone every where I go. I have to take the manual with me because of all the functions. But it has never let me down. I like the light for charging and charged. Never thought I would have a tri band HT. The price was good too.

KB0KYV Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Robust with Lots of Bells and Whistles!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a happy VX-150 owner for many years, so when I saw the VX-6r, I was very interested. I wanted a dual or tri-bander with wide coverage recieve that had the toughness and build quality of my VX-150. The VX-6r is all that and a lot more. It's a rugged and very versatile HT that's crammed with many useful and fun features.

The build quality is excellent. For me it's also very comfortable and easy to use. The knobs have a nice smooth travel and the PTT switch has the right pressure resistance and click. I like it's style too. It's a very good looking radio.

This is a very complex little rig with lots of features. There is a substantial learning curve. But being a Ham I'm technologically inclined, so learning how to operate the rig has been fun for me. Almost all operating characteristics can be customized to the operator's preference.

I've aged a bit since I bought my VX-150 with it's tiny display, and I now need readers to focus up close. My VX-6r, with it's big brightly lit display, is perfect for my older eyes.

I've discovered that many of the complaints I've heard about the VX-6r from other hams have been due to operator error. Case in point, someone said that the rig would only show battery voltage during power on. This is wrong. The rig will display battery voltage at any time by going to set menu item #16 DC VLT.

In wide band recieve mode you need to use the correct antenna for the band. If you want to properly recieve the AM broadcast band, you need to attach a suitable AM broadcast band antenna to the rig. The supplied antenna only works well for VHF and UHF. Although I have been able to recieve very strong Shortwave stations with the rubber duck, a long wire is the way to go. The duck does work very well in the FM broadcast band.

I really like the memory bank system that I can label myself. Other really cool features are the NOAA weather alert and the CW practice mode.

Time will tell, but so far this is the best HT I've ever owned. I owned a very expensive Icom dual band HT with wide recieve and the VX-6r has a much better reciever front end. My VX-6r is much better at resisting intermod. It's built with tougher plastic than the Icom and has a metal frame. It's also water resistant! I just hope it ages well!

K2IZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2009 11:10 Send this review to a friend
does what I need it for  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Our local club now has very active repeaters on 2, 222 and 440, I wanted a handheld that would work on all 3 of them. I also own a VX5 but that is 6, 2 and 440, I have yet to operate on 6m fm, I don't know if there is even a repeater in our area. Besides the VX6R I purchased a Diamond SRH320A antenna, the VX6R only puts out 1.5w on 222 and this antenna helps quite a bit. I did have a bit of a problem with the instructions when programming the 222 band, an e-mail to Yaesu and that problem was resolved. An external power meter would help a lot, there is no real indication that the battery is almost drained until the radio actually shuts off. The VX6R does what I need it for, I don't use most of the features that often so I have to keep referring to the manual, printing it out off the Yaesu web site is a big help.

AI4WM Rating: 3/5 Jul 18, 2009 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Overall good HT, but dissappointing in some areas  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall this is a nice small HT with many features that are outlined elsewhere in these reviews. Yaesu did a nice job on the quality of the mechanics of the unit except for the assinine SMA connector, 4 circuit mini-phone jack microphone / earphone connector and poor choice of battery technology.

This rig will leave you down when you need it due to no warning on battery power level. The metering will tell you 7.2 volts (sometimes higher), then die, usually in the middle of TX during a QSO. Of course it will only monitor battery condition on power on, and I question the accuracy since the voltage is meaningless in the way Yaesu monitors the battery.

A better battery pack could have been designed and there could be a power level indicator that constantly monitors power level of the battery.

The 4 circuit jack is a Yaesu special so one is limited to attaching other than Yaesu products to the mic./earphone jack.

The antenna connector is an SMA instead of a BNC. No problem technically except a normal SMA connector is NOT made for the center conductor to continually be spun time and time again on mating and unmating. IF you never change your antenna this is not a problem.

The stock antenna is a nice dummy load (as most rubber ducks) Changing to the Daimond SRH320A improves performance on all bands including the extra monitor only bands.

TX power changes are stupid. It is a secondary function requiring 2 different operations to make a power change.

Frequency selector dial is too easily moved when worn on the poorly designed belt clip.

Overall when I want dependability I use my old ICOMS. The batteries last better and I can depend on being on freq. and not having a battery just die during a QSO. My power may fade, but not just die like this HT.

When I want small and the extra features I use this HT.

The issue of using external power on this HT is also a weak point. The 2 AA battery pack is not worth the money.

I'll take a good look at other brands before I buy another Yaesu.

KC0WBA Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2009 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Great- almost perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I acquired the VX-6R at the Dayton Hamvention and bought some accessories. So far I have had no problems. My only thing I don't like is that the waterproof mic plug is virtually impossible to unscrew. I usually leave the mic out so it is not a big problem.