Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 126 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

PU1-MLL Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2012 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Great HT - Congratulations  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everything began because it was cheapest, but now, I´m so happy. Easy to use, nice reception. Very Good
N4KTZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Another Great Yaesu HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a few Yaesu HT's and this one is another great one! It is built like a tank and has a very good receiver in it. Audio is very good and my signal reports are very good to. I wish I had the programming cable because I am sure it would make programming a lot easier. I will have to pick up the cable sometime. This radio recieves other bands as well. Mine does have 220 MHZ but the transmit is lower wattage than 2 meter and 440mhz. Still, it is nice to have 220mhz. More hams should use 220 MHZ. This is a very good radio for those who do not need so much the VX 8 has. A great radio!
N4XTS Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2011 02:04 Send this review to a friend
Best compact HT on the market  Time owned: more than 12 months
The VX-6R is the best bang for the buck if you want a small HT. Aside from great TX and RX audio, super battery life, it also does decently on 220 despite RF output only being 1.5 watts. I find it much better than the full power Kenwood TH-F6A. I've owned both rigs and the VX-6 is much better build quality, is about 60 percent louder from the speaker, and the keypad is easier to use.

Battery life is commendable. I've left mine on for three days straight 24 hours a day monitoring with occasional transmit. You can talk on high power for about 4-6 hours of heavy use, better than most, which also makes it ideal for public service work. Speaking of, the full submersion rating means you don't have to worry if it gets wet outdoors. Some complained about the threaded audio jack. From a standpoint of a commercial radio user, this is a BLESSING not a CURSE. Not only does this mean the rig is watertight when closed, but it also keeps you from yanking out your mike cord. If you are physically active and wearing a remote mike, this is a big plus.

The radio is easy to program from the keypad out of the box. If you do opt for the programming cable, also try the VX-6 Commander software out there on the Net. IMO, much better than the RT systems programmer.

All in all, the VX-6R is an HT done right. For the price it packs a ton of radio, has great audio and battery life, is built very well- and easy to operate.
KB0KYV Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 12:52 Send this review to a friend
2 Years & Still My Baby!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this rig for over 2 years now and I'm still very happy with it. No problems to report. Curiosity overcame caution and I held the rig under running water a couple days ago... it still works great, (and this is not a brand new rig). My first eHam review for this radio is still valid. This is the rig you would want to have in a disaster. (Full coverage receive up to 1 GHz [minus cell frequencies] including WFM and AM, plus flexible power requirements.) Love it!!!
W8GND Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2011 13:50 Send this review to a friend
VX 6R woes  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 2 of these. Both have problems. On one, the PTT button falls off. Yaesu can't fix it.

On the second, the thing puts "DCS" on the output when you transmit. It takes about 4 pushes of the PTT button, and then that starts. You can fix it temporarily with a partial reset, but that's a pain.

Sigh. I may have to buy a VX 7, although I had one of those once.

73 jerry w8gnd
N7ENE Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Superb Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio since it had 800 MHZ, but I didn't realize it didn't have trunking which I needed. Not all was lost as I found this little baby every bit as good or better than my Icom T7H. I use the radios both in the vehicles ICOM 207H/208H (mobile) rigs & HTs to track trains that I love to chase. The VX6R kicks butt when combined with a NAGOYA HANDHELD ANTENNA NA-771 144/430MHz. The VX6R hears like nobodies business and easily matches and surpasses the T7H. If you are using the VX6R, get the Nygoya antenna off of E-Bay, you won't be sorry!
KC0NDR Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2011 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received radio on 4/5/11. Programmed all the frequencies that I need by hand (No problem). Went to the shortwave receive and was surprized to hear as many as I did. Couldn't understand most of them but the English speaking stations were clear enough to understand. I also did this with the DEAD STICK that came with the radio. Big display for my 53 year old eyes. I think this is a keeper!!

73 To All
W8STU Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2011 17:44 Send this review to a friend
GREAT HT FOR THE MONEY  Time owned: more than 12 months

This is my second one owned. I was stupid and sold the first one a couple of years ago. I missed it and bought another one from for $229.00 Shipped. That was the best price I have found. I found an after market speaker mic on ebay shipped for $10.00. Its not Yaesu but it works great with the HT. I have fallen in love with the HT all over again. And will keep this one for a long time. I do not understand what some people are saying it is hard to program without the programming cable. I think that is a waste of money. I had mine programed in fifteen minutes without even looking at the manual. Granted I had one before, but that was two years ago. Don't waste your money with the programming cable and programing CD for $40.00 bucks. The manual is very clear on how to program it. One short fall is the stock antenna. I all ready had a tri band antenna for mine anyway. A very good antenna for it is the Diamond SRH320A. Yes it is going to cost $45.00 but it is worth it. It mates with the VX-6R very well. Over all if you are looking for a first time tri band HT for the beginner or the expert this HT is for you. I would highly recommend the Yaesu VX-6R. Great HT. 73, Stuart W8STU
WB0KZB Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2010 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio. Plan to buy lots of accessories.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The radio itself is a 5+, the fact that it comes with nothing to make it useful drops it a notch. If you read the rest of the review, you might think I hate this thing. Fact is: I have recommended it to everyone who has asked me. If I ever break it, I’ll buy another one just like it.

Here's what I like about it:
1. It works. Once it’s setup, it has great range and audio. Note: Setup without the cable and software is nearly impossible for us mere mortals.
2. It’s tough. I have been rough on this radio and it has just kept on working.
3. Great battery life. I don’t do a lot of rag-chewing on VHF, so the battery last all week.

That being said, here’s why it’s not a 5:
1. The dummy load that is shipped with it (disguised as a rubber-duck antenna) should be replaced immediately. (I was forewarned and got a Comet HT-224 that seems to be fine).
2. The manual is surprisingly complete and understandable. This radio has so many options and features that it is impossible to “organize” the manual in a straight-forward manner. You will have to do some digging to find what you’re looking for. (not a real negative, just an irritation)
3. Setting this up with the printed manual and the keypad is not for the faint-of-heart. If you have a pc with a USB port just cut to the chase and by the ADMS-VX6 package. I have messed around with several versions of the home-brew data cables with some success, but for $40 you will save a lot of frustration.
4. You will want the external speaker/mic (MH-57). I do a lot of “pedestrian mobile” operating and when the radio is on my belt it’s hard to hear. Adding an earplug speaker to it may make you look like a CIA agent, but it really works nice.
5. I may just be old-school, but “Squelch” should be a knob. Adjusting the squelch is a multi-step, multi-hand PITA project.
6. The functions are complex at best. Keep the manual handy if you want to adjust or set anything.

When you buy this radio, and I hope you do, bring about $150 extra for the “required” accessories:
1) A good rubber-duck antenna
2) speaker/mic
3) charging stand (called the Fast-Charger)
4) USB data cable with the programming software.

If you are going automobile-mobile get a good magnet mount antenna, the car power adapter and a strain-relief adapter for the car antenna. (about $75 to $100 more)

If you are going to use it in the shack, get the “Y” cord and hook it up to the HF speakers and use a good mic. Plug the power adapter into the wall, connect it to a good antenna system and off you go. It may look a little goofy with all those wires hanging out of it, but it works.

DH4AAD Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2010 06:45 Send this review to a friend
VX-6E (European) vy nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
One day every Ham needs a portable radio. After having compared some portable units with each other I decided to buy VX-6E made by Yaesu.

I wanted a dualbander (VHF 2 meters, UHF 70 centimeters) with wide coverage receive that has the toughness and mil. standards for use outside and in outback. The VX-6E is all that and a lot more. It's a rugged and very versatile unit that's crammed with many useful features. The build quality is excellent. For me it's also very comfortable and easy to use.

I confirm: The knobs have a nice smooth travel and the PTT switch has the right pressure resistance and click. You need some time to learn all functions, but no problem, because you are a Ham.

In wide band receive mode you need the correct antenna for each band (for exemple VHF 6 meters, VHF 2 meters, UHF 70 centimeters). The supplied antenna only works for VHF and UHF. It’s auxiliary, I say. You better use a full size whip to enjoy dual band operation.

And I suggest: Take the external microfone in use together with your VX-6E. Than there’s much more fun and efficiency.

On VHF range of 6 meters there is no fm-signal to be heared. That’s no VX-6E-problem: In Germany VHF 6 meters only is in Hams’ use in the modes of cw and ssb, never vertical. Even Hams with their bigger rigs only can use 25 watts rf output. That’s German law.

VX-6E ist very ok to me. You can take it with you in all weather. Rain is no problem.

55 es 73 de DH4AAD, Rainer, op: „Ray", Hannover, Northern Germany +++