Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 117 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

SQ9MCS Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2007 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Little, strong, powerful. Everything you want you will have it in this TRX. Wideband coverage receiver is great. Changing frequency very simple. User manual too dificult.
In one word: Great

N3ATS Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Buy this radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my VX-6R, mainly to have some mode of comms during power failures, and to be able to monitor public safety during those same conditions.

I have to say I love this radio. Not overly barren of bells and whistles, but not packed full of stuff most folks will never use.

The radio is very simple to program, which was a great concern of mine before I bought it. But even with my pudgy digits, I punched in over 80 memories in less than an hour!

The radio's transmit audio is good, clear, and strong. A fellow ham told me that he would have never known I was on a handheld, had I not told him.

The receive is excellent, and though some adjacent channel interference comes through, it's no worse than any other radio I have had experience with.

The antenna, while it is what it is, works fine. I have no trouble hitting UHF repeaters 40 miles away from my hilltop QTH.

I modified my radio to open up TX at 50 MHz. Yes, this radio will operate in the 6 meter band at about 2 watts out. I do not know if transmitting in this band will damage any band-pass filters, so if you do this, do it at your own risk. Oh, and buy the proper antenna for 6M too!

So for $75 less than the VX-7 you get 50, 220, 144, 440, after the TX mod.

The radio's battery is great. No issues with charge time, holding a charge, or time it takes to charge it. I left the radio on (no TX) with a fully charged battery and it lasted around 18 hours sitting there RXing.

The chassis is metal, and it is waterproof to an extent (see the manual). It is very rugged, and looks good too. Not to thin, not to thick.

Pros: Construction, ease of use, ease of programming, looks, size, and performance.

Cons: Yaesu needs to stop using these 4-conductor stereo type plugs for their speaker-mic jacks. It doesn't like to stand up by itself on the table. No dual-watch capability.

If you want a decent handheld, this is the one. For $250 shipped you can't beat it!

73!
Steve
N3ATS

N9ZI Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2007 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been very pleased with this model - not to big - not to small - just right for me. I have had the VX-150 - very nice - bigger than I like - have had the VX-2R - nice small radio - after a while the audio through the small speaker bothered me. The VX-6R audio is much-much better, lots nicer to listen to ham bands + the fm & tv bands.
This one fits me perfect, am glad that I purchased this one.
Terry N9ZI

K7PWR Rating: 2/5 Jan 1, 2007 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Big Brick..Like a mobile rig in your hand  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Too big, and bulky...Almost looked old fashion too.... i dunno.. performance wise it was great, but as far as weight or size, The vx-2r is much better..Thats why i traded it in for the smaller radio.

KK6SS Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2006 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Tote About  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Size of this radio is great. As complicated to operate as most Yaesu radios. Transmitting at the lowest power setting eats the battery and produces lots of heat. I found that the battery lasts about 1 to 1-1/2 day, then needs recharging. Disappointing battery life. I have even turned off the display lighting, keyboard beep etc.

When I received the HT, the transmission would cut out on 440 and not 144 if I talked too close to the mic. Had to turn down the mic gain to get the 440 to transmit a decent signal.

Overall this is a great radio for short trips to the store, but for a planned event I would prefer my Icom 32AT (the battery lasts for about a week (7v NimH 2650mah) and has better heatsink and antenna system due to its enormous size).

Overall the VX-6R is a great 2nd radio when used for its intended purpose.

KB1FFX Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2006 19:10 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great step above the vx-5r. I like the recieve it is much hotter than the vx-5r. The 220mhz recieve is great also. I like the fact that you can set the mic gain on this ht. You have to remember not to set it too high or you will fall out the passband of the repeater. Battery life is pretty good to for such a small battery. Overall I like the radio. I am using a diamond srh320a on it, and find the radio really performs great with this one. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a real solid ht. Very rugged feeling.

KC2IGY Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2006 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Very good, but not perfect.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one of the better HT's I've bought over the years, but it's not perfect. The positives are very good performance during RX and TX. I've gotten many compliments on my audio with the mic gain set at 6.
The battery life is good. Audio is very good. Programming is fairly easy once you get used to it.
I have only two complaints. One is minor, and the other is a little more severe. First, I can't stand that the radio beeps twice every time it stops on a channel during memory scan mode. Yes, you can turn it off via the keypad beeper, but I like to have that on. My second problem definitely appears to be a bug. The CTCSS Tone Squelch does decode 100% of the time during memory scan. I've confirmed this by having my scanner scan the same freqs. I watched the VX-6 skip over memories that it should have stopped on. I tried every setting possible, and it still tends to just pause for a split second on some signals, and continue scanning. The tone squelch works fine when not scanning. If anyone has a fix let me know. Even with this problem, this is still a great radio for the price.

G7THL Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2006 12:39 Send this review to a friend
NIce, simple and cheap radio, yet plenty of features.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Lovely radio this, I had done the extended TX mod but not needing it and after reading on the VX-6 yahoo group that Yaesu have actually stated that 50mhz ops will basically ruin the radio, I have put it back to standard.
I like the menus, but I have never had a rig with menus before so anything was a bonus to be honest. They are probably not the clearest but they are far from the most cryptic. The Rx is amazing from the experience so far, some problems on 70cms with intermod in some areas I've travelled to, but even had that on my faithful old Alinco handy so something I am used to. Considering this is also a wideband scanner I think it's frankly amazing. Picks up aircraft beautifully on my desk in the house and on the amateur bands I had a better signal reading tonight on one particular station on the duckie in the house than through my Trio rig with my J-pole in the attic! (which is pretty damn good).
Noticed that according to my power meter the power output is more like 4 - 4.5W on 2m which is below spec, some people reporting upto 6w so maybe it's inaccurate equipemt or I have a problem rig, not sure which but if I get a chance I will stick it on some decent measuring equipment. Never the less it has no problems getting into repeater many miles away from even indoors.
Plenty of features, good memory system and excellent value for money. So far I would have to recommend this rig!

WQ0A Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2006 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Great HT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This rig is just what I wanted. I have owned the Kenwood TH-F6A, my son has the VX-7, and I have owned many other dual/multiband handhelds. I enjoy using this one the most.

The menus are alphabetical unlike the VX-7, the software free thanks to KC8UNJ, and the keypad interface keeps it simple. It is very similar to the VX-2R. It has such a flexible memory bank scheme that I don't miss having dual receive that is offered on the VX-7 or the TH-F6A. Just select your memory bank and scan away. The receiver is very hot and the supplied antenna serves me very well. The 1.5 watts on 222Mhz does all I want and more. It has a very rugged feel and it is nice to forget about water and snow worries when out in the weather. Battery life is excellent.

Yes, the belt clip is not the best. I have learned to use it and it gets me by. I prefer it to the VX-7 style "clip on" type which seems to bulky. I hope they continue to make this one for years to come.

Mike, WQ0A

N7GCO Rating: 3/5 Oct 17, 2006 03:18 Send this review to a friend
setup complex  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would say the menu's and setup on this radio are NOT intuitive. The keys and combinations have no clear pattern. Because of this I would recommend considering the Kenwood F6 or Icom IC 91. I wish I had.

The manual is not that helpful.

If you get this radio, by all means get the programming software.