Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 120 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

W5GIE Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2007 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent...but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great radio. With my previous miserable experience with ADMS on a VX5, I never installed the ADMS software for the VX6 and went with Commander. All of the radio functions appear to work! (Not so with the quirky VX5).

The controls are more intuitive that with a VX5. The functions are well thought out, although I would like to have both "Home" and "reverse", instead of assigning the key to one or the other.

All in all, it is a very easy radio to learn and use.

Now the "but"
The biggest drawback to this radio is one of it's biggest selling points--waterproofing. The radio has a strange proprietary waterproof data/mic/speaker connector that first plugs into the radio, then screws down for a water tight seal. This connector is located under a screw down watertight cover. Connectors without this screw down feature are not long enough to seat. If you wanted to plug in an earphone or a remote speaker, you have to somehow convert from this strange VX6 connector to the earphone/speaker. It would have been easy for Yaesu to have a non-waterproof connector (instead of a waterproof connector) under the existing water tight connector protector.

While I am very happy with all other aspects of the radio, if I had known about the interface connector, I would have bought a different radio. Ease of speaker/mic interface is simply more important to me than complete waterproofing.

KI4SIQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2007 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I like this radio and I find it easy to use without keeping the manual handy. I just wish this radio had a full 5 watts output on 220 MHz. If I was in the market for a HT again I would look strongly at the Kenwood tri-band that has the 5 watts output.

That said I have dropped the VX-6R many times and have switched antennas between the rubber-duckie and a mag-mount antenna for my car many times and everything still works well.

F4EPP Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2007 09:38 Send this review to a friend
nice intuitive menu  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a VX-7 owner and here are the differences with this HT transceiver:
-It's a bit smaller (fits better in my hand)
-The menu's definitly easier and well arranged.
-better intermod tolerence (especially in UHF)but it could be better. The best I ever seen against our crowded UHF area is the Icom IC-91A.
-Keypad is very clever with all the main features we need quickly (step, sq type, tone code, skip, repeater shift + or -, even the MODES !)
-there are 2 programmable keys (I set squelch volume instea of the Yaesu Wires and Attenuation on/off on the DMR key but you can choose others)
-Direct memory recall is very convenient for newcomers or occasionally users that are able to set the desired preprogrammed channel just touching 2 keys: DMR + 1 for example)
-the speaker is deeper, I don't find the sound quality better than the VX-7 but for long time uses our ears appreciates.
- the volume key is tougher with more "clicks" available for an accurate sound audio level of your choice.
-We can name the banks AND the PMS (VERY convenient)
- Mic Gain level adjustable (good for preamp mobile mic use)
- put out the busy green led to save the battery
-CW training feature
-we can set our prefered Scan modes (PMS, UHF only, VHF only, preferential, band...)just before it starts with the Scan key+ dial.
-The TX is ready immediatly after turn it on if you remove the open message (VERY convenient!)
-99 lock out frequencies ! convenient for a VFO scan with no stops on the data or birdie frequencies.

What I miss on it compared to the vx-7 are:
-no time clock I can't use it as an alarm o'clock.
the "on timer" menu works with remaining time so before to go to bed, you will have to do the math if you want it to wake up tomorrow !!
-no dual reception
-You cannot put out the TX red led.
-The emergency flash light is not as bright as the VX-7
-No 2 minutes Time out timer (1 or 3 like the VX-7)
-TX save seems to be less accurate than the VX-7.

I waited a long time before to buy this VX-6, I didn't want to be disapointed as a VX-7 owner but I'm definitly NOT. They're different and I need both ones. It depends on my uses. I hope my review will complete all the others you read ! Don't hesitae to write me for more infos. I will figure out more on it soon because I've got it soldered in my hand anywhere I go !!

Sendy F4EPP

SQ9MCS Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2007 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Little, strong, powerful. Everything you want you will have it in this TRX. Wideband coverage receiver is great. Changing frequency very simple. User manual too dificult.
In one word: Great

N3ATS Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Buy this radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my VX-6R, mainly to have some mode of comms during power failures, and to be able to monitor public safety during those same conditions.

I have to say I love this radio. Not overly barren of bells and whistles, but not packed full of stuff most folks will never use.

The radio is very simple to program, which was a great concern of mine before I bought it. But even with my pudgy digits, I punched in over 80 memories in less than an hour!

The radio's transmit audio is good, clear, and strong. A fellow ham told me that he would have never known I was on a handheld, had I not told him.

The receive is excellent, and though some adjacent channel interference comes through, it's no worse than any other radio I have had experience with.

The antenna, while it is what it is, works fine. I have no trouble hitting UHF repeaters 40 miles away from my hilltop QTH.

I modified my radio to open up TX at 50 MHz. Yes, this radio will operate in the 6 meter band at about 2 watts out. I do not know if transmitting in this band will damage any band-pass filters, so if you do this, do it at your own risk. Oh, and buy the proper antenna for 6M too!

So for $75 less than the VX-7 you get 50, 220, 144, 440, after the TX mod.

The radio's battery is great. No issues with charge time, holding a charge, or time it takes to charge it. I left the radio on (no TX) with a fully charged battery and it lasted around 18 hours sitting there RXing.

The chassis is metal, and it is waterproof to an extent (see the manual). It is very rugged, and looks good too. Not to thin, not to thick.

Pros: Construction, ease of use, ease of programming, looks, size, and performance.

Cons: Yaesu needs to stop using these 4-conductor stereo type plugs for their speaker-mic jacks. It doesn't like to stand up by itself on the table. No dual-watch capability.

If you want a decent handheld, this is the one. For $250 shipped you can't beat it!

73!
Steve
N3ATS

N9ZI Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2007 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been very pleased with this model - not to big - not to small - just right for me. I have had the VX-150 - very nice - bigger than I like - have had the VX-2R - nice small radio - after a while the audio through the small speaker bothered me. The VX-6R audio is much-much better, lots nicer to listen to ham bands + the fm & tv bands.
This one fits me perfect, am glad that I purchased this one.
Terry N9ZI

K7PWR Rating: 2/5 Jan 1, 2007 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Big Brick..Like a mobile rig in your hand  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Too big, and bulky...Almost looked old fashion too.... i dunno.. performance wise it was great, but as far as weight or size, The vx-2r is much better..Thats why i traded it in for the smaller radio.

KK6SS Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2006 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Tote About  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Size of this radio is great. As complicated to operate as most Yaesu radios. Transmitting at the lowest power setting eats the battery and produces lots of heat. I found that the battery lasts about 1 to 1-1/2 day, then needs recharging. Disappointing battery life. I have even turned off the display lighting, keyboard beep etc.

When I received the HT, the transmission would cut out on 440 and not 144 if I talked too close to the mic. Had to turn down the mic gain to get the 440 to transmit a decent signal.

Overall this is a great radio for short trips to the store, but for a planned event I would prefer my Icom 32AT (the battery lasts for about a week (7v NimH 2650mah) and has better heatsink and antenna system due to its enormous size).

Overall the VX-6R is a great 2nd radio when used for its intended purpose.

KB1FFX Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2006 19:10 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great step above the vx-5r. I like the recieve it is much hotter than the vx-5r. The 220mhz recieve is great also. I like the fact that you can set the mic gain on this ht. You have to remember not to set it too high or you will fall out the passband of the repeater. Battery life is pretty good to for such a small battery. Overall I like the radio. I am using a diamond srh320a on it, and find the radio really performs great with this one. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a real solid ht. Very rugged feeling.

KC2IGY Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2006 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Very good, but not perfect.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one of the better HT's I've bought over the years, but it's not perfect. The positives are very good performance during RX and TX. I've gotten many compliments on my audio with the mic gain set at 6.
The battery life is good. Audio is very good. Programming is fairly easy once you get used to it.
I have only two complaints. One is minor, and the other is a little more severe. First, I can't stand that the radio beeps twice every time it stops on a channel during memory scan mode. Yes, you can turn it off via the keypad beeper, but I like to have that on. My second problem definitely appears to be a bug. The CTCSS Tone Squelch does decode 100% of the time during memory scan. I've confirmed this by having my scanner scan the same freqs. I watched the VX-6 skip over memories that it should have stopped on. I tried every setting possible, and it still tends to just pause for a split second on some signals, and continue scanning. The tone squelch works fine when not scanning. If anyone has a fix let me know. Even with this problem, this is still a great radio for the price.