Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-6R
Yaesu VX-6R Reviews: 131 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$275 USD
Description: 144/220/440 Triband Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-6R.

N8EKT Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2008 15:17 Send this review to a friend
SIMPLY THE BEST!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The VX-6 is easily turned into a QUAD bander and it truely does it all!
You won't find ANY radio with this much performance for such a low price!
6 meters, 220, 2 meters and 440mhz.
Short wave as well as AM and FM broadcasts and NWS broadcasts.

BEST bang for the buck in a quad bander!

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2008 21:56 Send this review to a friend
2m/220/440 HT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've bought my first Yaesu VX-6R about 11 months ago, and it's been a great performer. I bought a second one two months ago, and put the first one in my GO kit. I always get excellent audio and signal reports.

I also use the CMP460A waterproof speaker mic. The only issue I've had with it is the mic is a bit more sensitive than the built-in mic. You have to watch the distance to the mic.

I've gotten the mic and radio wet and noticed no problems.

I have a spare FNB-80LI batter and the CD-15A rapid charger. You can get a full charge in just a couple of hours, which is less time than it takes to drain a battery with normal talk times. I bought the AA holder as well, but power output is greatly reduced. The dc cords are inexpensive, and will work for charging the radio from any 12 volt source.

I do find programming this little radio to be quite a chore, but what can you expect with such a small package. The ADMS-VX6 software gets the job done. I recommend this as a good complement to your VX-6R. A short cheat sheet, and several manuals are available for free at www.kb2ljj.com .

N6DXX Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2008 13:10 Send this review to a friend
FB HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very happy with my VX-6R. Good reports & good battery life. I like the "feel" of this radio.
A little bothersome to program. I wish a 4X AA battery pack were an option.
Other than that, I think this unit "rocks".

N6DXX

NB2J Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2008 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Great little performer.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had my Yaesu VX-6R for about 4+1/2 months now, and it's been a great performer. I have it paired with a Diamond SRH770CA dualband whip when when walking around and a Diamond MR77SMA when in the car. I always get excellent audio and signal reports considering it's a 5W HT.

I should note that I'm also using the CMP460A waterproof speaker mic. The only issue I've had with it is the mic is a bit more sensitive than the built-in mic, so you either need to adjust your mic gain or watch the distance to the mic.

I've gotten the mic and radio wet and noticed no problems.

I have a spare FNB-80LI batter and the CD-15A rapid charger, which I recommend. You can get a full charge in just a couple of hours, which is less time than it takes to drain a battery with normal talk times. On wierd note is that after a couple of months, one of the batteries seems to take a full charge, but indicates an error condition instead of "full" after its done charging. It seems to work fine, anyway.

I do find programming this little radio to be quite a chore, but what can you expect with such a small package. Although the UI won't win any awards, the ADMS-VX6 software is quite usable and gets the job done. I recommend this as a good complement to your VX-6R.

AD7C Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2008 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Exactly what I expected when I bought it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent little HT. I won't get much into the performance of the radio as others have written detailed reviews but rather just say it performs well, is built rugged, and offers a good value for the price.

I am an avid outdoor person and I take the VX-6 with me on a lot of rock-crawling, 4x4, and camping trips. It's been dropped, banged, kicked, soaked, and exposed to the heat of the Arizona deserts. So far... not one issue. Always good RST reports.

My only gripe... take the stock belt clip and throwing it in the garbage as it is completely worthless.

VA7CRH Rating: 3/5 Mar 8, 2008 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Passable radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It's not really a bad handheld. I sold a Kenwood F6A because of the bad intermod in our area, and I'll give the Yaesu one thing - in the 8 months I had it, it never once had intermod. I've just recently re-purchased an F6A and plan to sell the Yaesu.

It is a good radio, but there are a few issues. First, programming repeaters and other frequencies is a bit of a pain - unless one uses the software and cable. I could never get the hang of the scanning functions, the buttons and I just didn't mesh.

Also, I can only second the criticism of the screw-down connection for the ear-piece mic cable. I had to take off the antenna to manage the last "screw-down" so that it would seat properly.

I'm also a bit of a 220 MHz afficianado - why this Yaesu unit only puts out 300 mW I'll never know - the Kenwood can put out a full 5 watts, why not Yaesu? The only thing worse is the VX-7R which has even less output power. Why bother?

However, it is still a decent rig. The audio reports were comparable to the Kenwood on VHF and UHF. It is built solidly, although I didn't really need it to be waterproof.

All in all, I'm back with the Kenwood and will put up with the intermod if it returns. The Yaesu may be for you - it is worth a look - but it's not for me.

MM0PMW Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2008 03:17 Send this review to a friend
I Like The VX-6R  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having used the VX-6R in the great outdoors in Scotland, from the top of Ben Nevis in the wet and windy, to using it as a receiver during a stay in hospital.
The VX-6R works for me, well done Yaesu.

KC2SRI Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2008 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this handheld. It is my first, and I've been very pleased with its performance. Programming is a huge chore without using the RT systems cable and available software. Once programmed, it is a joy to use... very versatile, with a ton of bells and whistles. Hooked to a mag-mount antenna in the car, it is capable of hitting all of the repeaters in my area with ease.

Will update again after a bit more use and abuse.

AB1HU Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2007 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Small solid radio, easy to use once you learn, full of features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You should know that I'm a freshman computer science major, so I'm willing to put up with awkward but powerful interfaces. With that in mind, I'm very happy with the Yaesu VX-6R. It's a small but solid and powerful radio that has served me well so far.

It's well-built, and I've dropped it a couple times with no visible damage. The display is readable and bold, although it has a "starburst" display for letters instead of a dot-matrix one like the VX-7R. The LCD and keypad are backlit with a nice adjustable red LED, and there is a multicolor "strobe" LED that indicates the status of the radio (RX, TX, charging, charged, or no battery). The green receive indicator is a little bright, but you can turn it off.

The interface is complicated, I will admit. Each key has three functions, and there's a 74-item menu for the functions not found on the keypad. But the keys are well-labeled, and the menu is alphabetized, so it's easy to find things. There's a key labeled "P" that you can assign to any item in the menu, and you can also assign Yaesu's "Internet" key to another item if you don't need the WIRES feature. If you know how to use your cell phone's phone book, you can probably deal with the menu.

The memory system is great, except for the usual caveat that you can't delete memories. There are 900 regular memories plus a bunch of extra ones, and 24 "memory banks" that you can use to easily group memories. Switching between the VFO, memory, memory bank, and special bank (pre-programmed shortwave stations, VHF marine channels, and weather channels) modes is a breeze, and notably easier than on the VX-7R.

Scanning is fairly fast -- by my measurements, 11 channels/sec in VFO mode, and around 9 or 10 channels/sec in memory mode -- and extremely flexible. You can scan pretty much any range you want, and you can scan all memories, one bank, or a "linked" set of banks in memory mode.

The transmitter works well, as far as I can tell. Microphone gain is adjustable, which is useful, and the transmit audio is clear. The receiver works well, but suffers from strong image reception, which can be mitigated with some success using the attenuator. The receiver is fairly sensitive for an HT, which is good for ham operation but causes problems on strong broadcast signals. Again, the attenuator helps.

The speaker is loud, and doesn't suffer from too much distortion at the high end. If you want to attach a headset or earphones, Yaesu included only a proprietary 4-pin connector with a set of threads to secure the plug.

The included antenna, like most, should be replaced. It's fine for hitting our local repeater, but not much else. Picking up a third-party dual- or tri-band antenna will improve your signal quite a bit. The antenna connector is SMA, which is less common, but more secure than BNC.

The battery is great so far. I've never even seen the low battery symbol, but I haven't done any "events" with the radio yet. One quirk is that sometimes the charge r displays "NO BAT" and the LED glows orange if you try to charge the battery after it's full.

Yaesu's crammed a lot of miscellaneous features into this rig, so I feel I should discuss them, and whether they're useful or not:

EPCS (Enhanced Paging and Coded Squelch): This turns the radio into a simple pager. It's nice, but unfortunately once a call is placed, the squelch is no longer "coded", and opens for anything, which makes it susceptible to interference.

Channel Counter: This is a poor man's frequency counter, which quickly scans a wide range for a nearby transmitter. It's somewhat useful, but too slow on wide frequency ranges, and often finds annoying "birdies" instead of the transmitter.

Smart Search: This scans above and below a specified frequency, storing the signals heard into 30 memory (15 above, 15 below). It's useful for finding things to listen to while you do something else and then checking out the results, but it's not very practical.

WIRES (Wide-Coverage Internet Radio Enhancement System): This is Yaesu's proprietary attempt to capture some of the Echolink/IRLP market. I've never seen a repeater with it, so as far as I know, it just wastes a button on the keypad. Luckily you can reprogram that button to do something else.

Direct Memory Recall (DMR): You can program 10 memories by simply holding down the number key (0 through 9) for them. Then, you can enter the DMR mode by holding the P key, and switch memories by just pressing the number. This seems like a great feature for working large public service events that use many repeaters, or just hopping between repeaters easily.

ARTS (Automatic Range Transpond System): Basically, this turns DCS on, and transmits every 15 or 25 seconds to notify a similar radio that it's still there. If it doesn't hear a transmission within the same time interval, it shows "OUT RNG" on the display and beeps. Unfortunately, it only works with one other person, and locks you out of many functions of the radio to prevent you from accidentally changing frequency or anything like that.

"Emergency" feature: When you hold a certain button down, the radio will shine or flash the white LED, produce a piercing beep, and/or transmit a beep and/or your callsign and "SOS" on the 70 cm home frequency.

EAI (Emergency Automatic Identification): This works with the paging feature. It listens on a special channel, and if it hears its own code for over five seconds, it begins transmitting on that frequency so you can use RDF to find the radio (and the person). It will transmit either continuous audio or periodic beeps for a settable interval.

As a gadget freak, I like things with lots of extra features, but I feel like some of Yaesu's emergency features are of questionable value. (Frankly, the only one that I think has real value is EAI.)

So far I've been very happy with this radio. It's solid, and now that I've learned the interface (which takes some time, but it's time well-spent), it's very efficient to operate, and can do quite a lot.

KI6BSC Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2007 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio for hams with some experience.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The VX-6R is a small but powerful radio, best for those hams who have some experience operating other radios. I like the heft and apparent quality of this radio. Despite it's small size, it feels quite sturdy. My primary interest in ham radio is emcomm, so this radio will serve as a backup HT.

Unless you have experience with other radios, you will definitely need to work your way through the manual to learn the various features of the 6R. But that is generally true of all the new radios these days.

I have programmed by hand and using the ADMS-VX6 software. Both methods have their little quirks. As long as you are not easily frustrated and are willing to spend the time to learn, you can and will master both.

I was a tad disappointed in the scan options available on the 6R. The Kenwood TH-G71 and F6A offer Call Memory scan that allows you to choose a call channel and a second channel to scan simultaneously. It is simple to set up and initiate. The only thing like this on the 6R is Priority Scan, which is not so simple to figure out from the poor description in the manual.

The only other thing I worry about is that the battery can be quite difficult to remove and reattach after charging. If your fingers don't work so well, this may not be the radio for you.