Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Tecsun R-912 Help

Reviews Summary for Tecsun R-912
Tecsun R-912 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $19.90
Description: AM, FM, Shortwave receiver
More info: http://www.tecsun.com.cn/

You can write your own review of the Tecsun R-912.

KD5MTB Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2012 19:04 Send this review to a friend
SAVE YOUR MONEY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
FIRST, I THINK THAT RADIOS SHOULD BE SCORED BY COMPARING THEM TO OTHER RADIOS IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE. SO A CHEAP RADIO THAT WORKS FAIRLY WELL CAN GET A HIGH SCORE. IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TO MATCH A KENWOOD R-2000 OR GRUNDIG G-5 OR G-6 TO GET A HIGH SCORE. I'M NOT AN FM PERSON, BUT FM SEEMS FINE TO ME. I THINK MW IS GREAT FOR SUCH A CHEAP, NO, INEXPENSIVE LITTLE RADIO. I LIVE IN N. CENTRAL TEXAS AND I CAN HEAR THE ST. CARDINALS GAME JUST FINE. SW IS FINE ALSO. IF YOU WANT TO DX HARD TO HEAR STATIONS THEN MOVE UP TO A BETTER RADIO. IF YOU WANT STRONG STATIONS LIKE GERMANY AT 9470 AT 11PM CDLT, THEN THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD CHOICE FOR YOU. IT FEELS WELL MADE. IT IS SUBJECT TO INTERFERENCE THOUGH, SO STAY AWAY FROM DIRTY ELECTRONICS. IN ONE PLACE IN MY HOUSE, SOME OF THE SW BANDS HAVE MW BLEED-OVER FROM A STRONG MW LOCAL STATION. BUT ONLY IN THAT ONE PLACE, SO FAR. WELL, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT. I PAID LESS THAN $20.00 INCLUDING SHIPPING ON EBAY. THE EBAY AD PICTURED ALL OF THE WRITING ON THE FRONT OF THE RADIO IN ENGLISH, BUT THE ONE I GOT HAD SOME IN CHINESE. THE SELLER WAS NICE AND WILL GIVE A REFUND, BUT I AM HAPPY AND WILL KEEP IT. I DO HOPE THAT THIS WILL BE OF HELP TO ANY ONE CONSIDERING THIS RADIO.

MW AND FM SEEM OK FOR THIS PRICE RADIO. IT FEELS WELL MADE IN MY HAND.

KWDAVIDS Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2011 14:46 Send this review to a friend
One better than the Kaito WRX911/Tecsun R-911  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since the Kaito WRX911/Tecsun R-911 is such a popular radio, I wanted to comment that the Tecsun R-912 is virtually identical except for two significant improvements. The R-912 is stereo and it has a total of 12 bands compared to 11 on the 911. The additional band is documented as 3.55 - 4.0 MHz.

In side-by-side tests on AM, FM and SW I couldn't really find any difference in performance in the 911 and 912. Maybe the audio from the speaker was a fraction fuller on the 912, but that could have just been my imagination. (Some reviewers have said that the 912 has superior FM tuning.)

I only rated the radio a 4 because I think that an analog tuning dial on any radio this small is next to useless. The Tecsun DR-920 can be had for the same price and has digital frequency readout.

My R-912 is a Chinese version (case and manual). An English labeled version (with slightly different band extents) is pictured on the Tecsun web site at http://www.tecsun.com.cn/english/product/912/main912-1.htm

WL7KV Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2005 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great little pocket receiver. Very portable and for the size, ample audio. I got this for Christmas, and have taken it travelling abroad with me. It takes up very little room in an overnight bag.
There is slight drift, but tuning is easy to use with just one hand. For the price, you can't beat it. Comes with a clip on long wire for the antenna, but I find the whip good enough.