Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Cushcraft A3S Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A3S
Cushcraft A3S Reviews: 75 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $599
Description: 3 ELEMENT BEAM ON A 14' BOOM
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A3S.

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 05:27 Send this review to a friend
KG5ABW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine up about 45 feet on my tower for 2 years. It along with an amp will bust thru pile ups. Great antenna. Any questions email
me from my QRZ.COM web page.

G4RRA Rating: 3/5 Jan 30, 2016 03:16 Send this review to a friend
Its great when it works  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had this antenna up about 5 years,I cant say its been trouble free.The good news is its nice and light and when it works ,it works well for a trapped yagi however..
Endless intermittent problems with SWR,When it first happened I took all the traps apart tightened up the screws and put it back together,it then worked for quite a while,at least it did until the next time.The trap covers also seem to be prone to splitting and letting water in.In conclusion I'm glad I own a crank over tower,my advice would be don't buy one if you cant get the antenna down easily.

N3BWR Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2015 16:48 Send this review to a friend
pretty good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up a used mid to late 90s variation for 150 bucks. i assume its about this vintage because it DIDNT have stainless hardware holding it togehter, but, it was in very good shape considering. after some new stainless bolts and clamps and a few other little parts from cushcraft its working great for me. im only at 25 feet but im sure it would be even better at 50.

KB6YH Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Used mine since 1977  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used mine since 1977. It is an A3 without the stainless steel hardware. I put Aluminox on the tubes that slide into each other. Aluminox is sold in hardware stores to use on Al to Al electrical connectors. Central California weather is mild.
It works great on top of 40 ft tower. No SWR problems and works like a 3 element Yagi should.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2015 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong after 8 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been 5 years since my last review and the A3S still continues to do its thing. No issues with the antenna whatsoever in the 8 years it's been on the tower. I did replace the trap caps prior to installation and gave it all new SS hardware. The previous owner had it at least another 5 years. SWR is still spot on, 14.150, 21.200 and 28.400 all showing 1.0:1 SWR, and under 1.5:1 anywhere in the band's except the upper end of 10m. Small footprint, big performance.

Continues to bust pileups on the first or second call. Very impressed.

KE4ZHN Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2015 13:01 Send this review to a friend
A good tribander   Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an A3S when I first got my general license 20 years ago. The construction of it was okay, not great. I was a little skeptical of the fiberglass center insulator for the driven element but it has lasted 20+ years and still going. The U clamps that hold the elements to the boom are prone to twisting in bad wind if you don't secure them well. The trick is to tighten them enough to hold without crushing the boom tubing. The material's used were good quality aircraft aluminum and stainless fasteners. I didn't care for using a coax coil choke at the feed point but this is what the instructions call for. And it did seem to work fine. If I had to put one up again I would just use a good quality 1:1 balun instead. I never had much faith in so called coax chokes. The trap covers are plastic and will eventually fail with age. I had to sell mine due to a divorce and the fellow I sold it to is still using it today. The antenna has survived numerous bad storms and continues to work. It may not be the best quality tribander out there but it does a respectable job and will last many years if you put it up right. As far as I know all he has had to do to it is repair the leaky trap covers and straighten the elements after a very nasty storm caused one to twist on him. I haven't seen a recent version since Cushcraft was bought by MFJ. I hope they maintained the same level of quality or improved it. For the money you can't go wrong with one of these if you just need a basic old school tribander. I worked the world on it when it was mine and my friend continues to use it almost daily 20 years later. A testimonial to how long they can last with some care and maintenence.

PY8WW Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Excelente Antena  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Uma Excelente Antenas, foi de fácil ajuste, os níveis de SWR ficam em 1.1 no centro das bandas após o ajuste, material de excelente qualidade, recomendo, melhor relação custo beneficio do mercado no momento.

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2014 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Great performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the Cushcraft A3S beam for over a year. I assembled it, tuned it using an antenna analyzer, then erected it approximately 45ft(14m). The antenna worked as it should and never let me down. I was given great technical advice from "a gentleman" at Cushcraft who I've dealt with on a few occasions. I recently sold this antenna to another op across the country who will hopefully work as much DX and break pileups as I had. I would suggest this antenna to any DXpedition, new HAM, experienced HAM, or those with antenna restrictions. The beam isn't too big. Measurements on the ground seem a lot longer than what they look like up in the air. The longer boom helps the directivity and being the three elements are spaced apart so much (6'ea.), it's somewhat incognito as compared to a 6 element beam that draws your eye's attention to it.
Buy one !

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2014 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Crap construction but it works!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Really crappy construction, traps and all......but the damn thing works FB.....running 100 watts I routinely bust pileups on 20 and 15mtrs with beam mounted abert 40+ feet in the air.

I'm just not impressed with construction, especially the way older Cushcraft beams mount the elemnts with simple U bolts, allowing the elements to slip and easily rotate in strong winds....

The other selling point, a used A3S goes cheap...always a good thing!!

So, damn yagi puts some power in the direction of choice....

Cheers All!

EA3AJP Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2014 00:53 Send this review to a friend
Magnificent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
magnificent antenna, optimum performance, easy to assemble although the error in the measurements of the manual, perfect balance for a three element antenna. Only weak point is driven element insulator, which deteriorates the sun. Less weight compared to other antennas of the same quality. High quality materials (with the exception of the insulator).