Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Sideband Engeneers SB-34 Help

Reviews Summary for Sideband Engeneers SB-34
Sideband Engeneers SB-34 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $$495
Description: Sideband only 75 to 15 meters

You can write your own review of the Sideband Engeneers SB-34.

KH6VP Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2015 00:37 Send this review to a friend
Update to review - excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I managed to own four SB-34's (and you need as many) and took one apart to have spares. I am still trying to fix a unit that was supposed to work (got it on eBay) but it doesn't. The remaining two work fine.
It is a pain to fix these radios; they are so compact, you need to remove onion layers to fix internals, and then put it all back. Thank god for digital cameras!
I also have plenty of tube spares, so I will be using the SB-34 when on camping trips. Nothing better than having a complete (including power supply) transceiver.

SWL377 Rating: 3/5 Oct 29, 2009 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Small, good xmit audio, drifts  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was pleased to find a Collins mech filter inside. The rest of the innards were obviously engineered for low cost, but it isnt junky by any means. Mine drifts, even after a long warm up. Perhaps this can be fixed with neg temp coeff caps, but it is a bit annoying. I am familiar with boatanchor VFOs and don't expect miracles, but this drifts more than most.

I get really good audio reports using a stock SBE desk mic that came with the rig. I paid $120 for the rig and mic in VG cosmetic cndx and working. I think I got my money's worth.

Considering it has a 110 volt AC PS built in, the small size is quite impressive. I have heard that Raytheon marine HF engineers played a role in the design of these SBE SSB xcvr rigs. Would be interesting to learn more about their heritage.

If you have any ideas about how to cure the drift I can be reached at af6im@arrl.net. I cant find any bad components to blame for it.

NB7I Rating: 3/5 Oct 12, 2007 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one years ago, and found it a solid, well built unit. Looking inside found quite a bunch of stuff engineered into a small package.It also featured a Collins Mechanical filter.
Unfourtunately, mine suffered from an extremely noisy receiver so I never used it to full advantage.

SSB Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2007 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice portable radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this radio for quite some time and I like the way it looks and works. I can't stand Jap radios anymore, they look like a vcr or stereo to me. I sold my last rice box a few years ago and bought a few other older radios which I just can't get enough of them. The old American radios look like and feel like radios. I don't need all that crap they put on new dsp super digital filter boxes. I paid $150 for this SBE 34 and it was in mint condition.

The radio is really tiny even by todays standards and the 34 makes an excellent mobile or portable with builtin AC/DC power. It receives as well as any Drake or Collins does of the '60s era. The Collins mechanical filter makes it sound alot like Collins box.

This radio is hardly state of the art but it does 90% of what a $3k 2007 box does and I think they are more fun to play with. I got really bored with the new radios.

Considering I only paid $150 for it 5 years ago I have no reason to get rid of it if I got tired of it. I would just eventually buy another and probably wouldn't get one in the same condion.

K2PGB Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2005 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Transceiver 75M to 15M  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a SB-34 since they first came out in December 1964. It is basically a total station in a small package. Both ac and dc supplies are built in. Speaker is built in. Input is 125 watts with ~65 watts out. Solid state except for the driver and finals (sweep tubes). I operate on my deck in the summer and it is the radio of choice. It cannot be compared to modern radios but it works!