Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Turbo Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Turbo Tuner
Turbo Tuner Reviews: 160 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $269. USD
Description: Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller for Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu. Handles antenna motor currents up to 2 amps. Firmware is user upgradeable using a computer. Controller is powered by the radio. Plug and play with no calibration required. Works with all models of screwdriver antennas. Tarheel, High Sierra and others. RF bullet proof with extensive RFI filtering. Full 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee and 2 year no questions asked parts and labor warranty. We stand behind our products.
More info: http://WWW.N2VZ.COM

You can write your own review of the Turbo Tuner.

AB2MH Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2006 20:05 Send this review to a friend
The ONLY way to tune a screwdriver antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine from Bill at Dayton 2006.

I absolutely love this thing. I'm able to QSY and change bands without taking attention off the road! The park feature is also nice as the top of my antenna is just below the maximum height for the garage.

One complaint though - the case could be changed a bit. As it is, I had to use tiewraps to secure it. There were no mounting holes, and the coax connectors were on the top. Also, an external speaker jack would be nice for the confirmation CW signals. The TT is mounted in my trunk and I can't hear it because the trunk is soundproofed so well. It's a bit of guesswork but I rarely have problems. However, that would have been a nice touch.

But make no mistake, this is the only way to tune a screwdriver antenna.

WC4X Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2006 17:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product/Great Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the very first Icom version of Bill's Turbo Tuner-Actually it was his pre production unit. Bill worked with me and sent me several code revisions as he was doing his final development. For some strange reason, my installation proved to be challenging, but I finally got it all working with the original Turbo Tuner. A few weeks ago at Dayton, I met Bill and exchanged his original pre production unit for a brand new Turbo Tuner. I installed it and it is working perfectly. I am using the High Sierra Sidekick antenna on a license plate mount.

When comparing the auto tuners on the market today, just read the reviews about the workmanship, the results, and the customer service. N2VZ is producing an excellent product and providing the kind of service that keeps him ahead of the pack.

N1OLO Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2006 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Great add-on for High Sierra 1800  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a wonderful product! I was up and running in 15 minutes. Its great to be able to safely tune the antenna while I'm driving.

The Park feature takes a little getting used to but I already used it pulling into a drive through.

K2CGH Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2006 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Dead on tuning with eyes on road.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the pleasure of personnally meeting Bill, N2VX and picking up my turbo tuner at his shack in NJ. Using the turbo tuner with an Icom 7000 and Lil Tarheel II screwdriver. Can't stress enough how important it is to ground/bond the antenna mount with braid to the vehicle body. After solving my grounding issues, Turbo Tuner works like a charm, always stopping the screwdriver motor, more accurately than you can do manually. Works great with the tune button on the Icom 7000. The diagnostic morse signals from the turbo tuner make troubleshooting a breeze. Mine worked with all the default settings, but remember to set the Icom 7000 CIV serial interface settings to 300 baud and address 58H.

K5MV Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2006 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the new Turbo Turner yesterday in the mobil using the Tarheel model 1000 (Big Bubba) screwdriver. Everything works perfect and I couldn't be more pleased. I even tryed it with my old model 100 Tarheel and found it to work perfectly. I highly recommend it for safety and ease of changeing bands when driving.

Jeff, K5MV

KB7IOG Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2006 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product! Works great.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After reading through many reviews, of several products, I decided on the Turbo Tuner. It has been working with out a problem since I first connected it. Wow, one button tuning and I'm done. I have it paired with the High Sierra Sidekick & Icom 7000. This automatic tuning system is exactly what I was looking for. I had some questions before I purchased, so I called Bill N2VZ, and he was very informative on the phone and quick to follow up with my additional emails.
I'm having too much fun! Can you say DX!

K0SSI Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2006 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Works GREAT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using a couple of older screwdriver controllers with my IC-706 MKIIG, I upgraded to the IC-7000 and a new Hi Q 4/80 screwdriver antenna. None of the older controllers would work with this setup, and the manufacturers are no longer in business! I ordered the Turbo Tuner! When it came in, I had what I thought was a problem because nothing worked correctly! An email to Bill solved the problem (GREAT customer service). I have been using my mobile setup for a couple of months now and it has worked flawlessly everywhere from 80m through 6 meters! Yes, 6 meters!
Thanks Bill for producing this GREAT product!
Bill de KØSSI

W8JJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2006 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Essential Equipment for Mobile HF Operators  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Turbo Tuner installed to run my HI-Q 4/80 antenna and it worked right out the box after two very quick dip switch adjustments. I'm a mobile county hunter and make frequent band/mode changes and this device is a dream come true for me.

There was a national news story this week regarding traffic accidents caused by driver distractions. Anyone who has operated mobile knows just how dangerous it is to watch an SWR meter, run the manual switch, and drive. Those days are gone thanks to the Turbo Tuner! I'm able to get full output on any frequency simply by pressing the tune button on the radio without taking my eyes off the road. The audible CW tone lets me know when the radio is ready to transmit.

The customer service before and after the sale is first rate. Bill is willing to answer all questions and provide support as needed. Shipping was fast and the instructions are easy to follow. This product is an essential accessory for all mobile operators using motorized antennas.

VK2NW Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2006 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Great!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just had to write this immediately. I purchased the TT locally for use with an IC-7000 and High Sierra HS1800. After firmware update and hookup, the unit emitted the dreaded "SSS" - something's wrong - finger trouble? So I email Bill with my problem. Next thing (and mind you, this is in VK land), the phone rings - "Bill of TT here. You have to set the CIV baud rate to 300" - thanks Bill!! Out to the car, and voila! She verks!! It must have been fully 5 minutes between email and human voice response. How could you beat that for customer service?
Well, put through it's paces on various bands it comes up fine (once I'd got the motor direction switch right).
No more hairy tuning episodes while driving the highways and byways..

WA6RF Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2006 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I cannot tell you what a pleasure it is to use this controller. I have used Am-Com and the BOSSII with my IC-706II(G) with some successes but I just could not enjoy mobile hamming. I finally spent the extra $$ and am I glad I did. Using the High Sierra Sidekick, the TT worked great. I had to work with the dip switches twice and through no fault of the unit I had to do some soldering as a wire came off while changing the switches. I sent it back to 'Mother', got a new pcb and the latest firmware,. no charge. What a pleasure!! I highly recommennd this product!!
Dick WA6RF