Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Turbo Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Turbo Tuner
Turbo Tuner Reviews: 160 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $269. USD
Description: Automatic Screwdriver Antenna Controller for Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu. Handles antenna motor currents up to 2 amps. Firmware is user upgradeable using a computer. Controller is powered by the radio. Plug and play with no calibration required. Works with all models of screwdriver antennas. Tarheel, High Sierra and others. RF bullet proof with extensive RFI filtering. Full 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee and 2 year no questions asked parts and labor warranty. We stand behind our products.
More info: http://WWW.N2VZ.COM

You can write your own review of the Turbo Tuner.

WY3Q Rating: 0/5 Aug 16, 2012 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Does not honor warranty  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I (and some of the reviewers here) have had the Turbo Tuner fail. In November 2011, I returned the tuner 3 months after purchase for warranty repair. Warranty on N2VZ web site is repair no matter what. I have not heard a SINGLE reply to my phone calls, multiple emails, and multiple certified letters. No reply at all. I have been ignored completely. However, if I just inquire about a product, I have been answered by email. Therefore, my conclusion is the Turbo Tuner product is worthless due to the possibility of failure and the inability to get it repaired.

K6ZB Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding screwdriver autotuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The product does exactly what it should do. It was recommended by a friend who uses it mobile with a TS480. I needed to run it with my IC7600 and big Predator screwdriver mounted on an iron fence. Bill was very helpful with fast responses to emails to resolve some cockpit problems. But, it has everything it needs inside. You need to be a bit careful opening it up to set the DIP switches, especially closing it back up. The instructions mention this. But, it's the right solution to make the screwdriver into a very easy to use multiband antenna.

AA4PN Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2012 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Just Receive Mine, I Love It.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just finished up the install and thoroughly tested my new Turbo Tuner with my Icom IC-7000 and a High Sierra HS-1800 Pro Screwdriver antenna.

I wanted to let you know that the Turbo Tuner performs FLAWLESSLY, This is what a screwdriver controller is suppose to do, TUNE.

Thank you for a great product Bill. Nothing like the hassle I went thru with the last product. Just like K5EBQ with his review I too tried the BetterRF Company 7000 Screwdriver Controller and could not get it to work. The Turbo Tuner Just plain works, No hassle.

Thanks Bill great product. I'm going to be needing one for my FT-857D I'll be calling you soon.

73'

K5EBQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2012 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Just received mine!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my Turbo Tuner this week and got it installed in my vehicle. I am using an Icom 7000 with a Tarheel 100A-HP. I set it up and installed it according to the very simple instructions and imagine my surprise! It worked! This after messing around with a BetterRF Company 7000 Antenna Control and never getting it to work.

How convenient to be buzzing down the freeway and change bands and only takes a minute or so to move from 80 to 10 meters!

Great product, works as advertised and I could not be happier! Good job Bill!

KA0AZS Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2012 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Works great, fast support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've already reviewed this once, but felt a need to add an atta-boy for the one issue I had. Mine quit tuning a few months ago, went immediately to 1-2 Morse P's. and antenna (Little Tarheel II) did not move. I was leaving on a trip that day so I threw the stock up and down switch on and made due.

I finally got a around to trouble shooting yesterday. After checking everything I could think of, I e-mailed N2VZ, and received a reply within 5 hours, not bad for a Saturday afternoon.

Bill stated that he suspected the coax jumper between the Turbo Tuner and the radio.

Today I replaced it and everything is back to normal, tuning up well every band 10-80. When I put the old jumper on the multimeter, it turns out it's developed a short between center and ground.

So, I'm posting for 2 reasons: 1, because not everyone posts good experiences and I like to reward good service by talking about it, and 2, in case anyone has a similar issue to advise them to check the coax. I wish I had done that back in November!

N0AGX Rating: 1/5 Mar 31, 2012 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Works as stated. Poor custmer service.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read the other reviews on this product here and decided I needed to qualify N2VZ Enterprises myself. After no response to my calls I decided to look elsewhere, but I came back because operation required just the Tune Button. I finally got ahold of Bill and determined that he was still in business and shipping product. Placing an order with N2VZ through PayPal on Feb 9, 2012 I finally received the IC7000 only tuner on March 30 but only after escalating the Item Not Received dispute to a claim through PayPal. This was done after being told it was to ship with a tracking number to follow from N2VZ Enterprises - with no information forthcoming. Ham outlets had the product in stock. My suggestion to other potential buyers based on my experience is to buy from the suppliers and avoid buying direct from the manufacturer.

The product works as advertised and is simple to use. If looking for the minimum operator interaction, this is the way to go. For a RV installation with a premium on available room to mount equipment, this product can be tucked away out of sight and works remotely with just the radio control head. The Little Tarheel performs well with this controller and is automatically tuned to the minimum SWR more efficiently than can be done manually. This is accomplished without overshooting which is a problem when done using the Up/Down manual control switch.

KB8TYJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2012 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Great product, but unacceptably slow customer service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a blind ham, and absolutely loved using my Turbotuner with my TS480 and Predator screw-driver antenna in our family's RV. However, last Summer, I developed a problem with the unit, and sent it back to the manufacturer for servicing under their life-time warranty. I sent numerous e-mails, and made many phone calls inquiring into the status of the repairs, and it wasn't until November of 2011 when I got an acknowledgment of the problem. In the e-mail, I was told that a new Turbo-tuner would be sent to me to replace the unit that was not working. It is now early February of 2012, and, despite many more e-mails and phone calls, I still have no Turbotuner. I am beginning to wonder if N2VZ Enterprises is still in business, or if their web site contact information is seriously out of date.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ, Big Rapids, MI

W9GF Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2012 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Works Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a Ham since the mid 1960s but have never had a rig in the vehicle. This weekend I installed my ICOM 7000, a Little Tarheel and the Turbo Tuner in my 2012 Chevrolet Silverado.

Everything plugged in (no soldering or connector building) and was 100% functional.

I backed my truck out of the garage, turned on the IC7000, pressed Tune and within 30 minutes had worked stations on the East and West coast + Tennessee.

I'll be adding this tuner to any other mobile installations that use a screwdriver antenna!

KE6K Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2012 16:29 Send this review to a friend
In use for 7 years (unitl stolen)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Turbo Tuner for use on my F-150, HS-1800PRO and Icom 706-MKII. Installed as onstruced and antenna ran the wrong way. Fliped a switch a A-OK. Has worked great right up until it was stolen out of my car at a hamfest in Chino Hills, CA.

KK4HP Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2011 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertized  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works as advertized on my FT-857D. It's sensitive to common mode RF so you have to make sure you have a well choked control line as well as the coax otherwise you get erratic operation. Also have to remember to turn off the the tune function when changing bands otherwise it will park itself.