Reviews Categories | Digital Multi-mode decoders | Kantronics Mini-Reader Help

Reviews Summary for Kantronics Mini-Reader
Kantronics Mini-Reader Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Small, portable ASCII/CW/RTTY decoder with 24 hour clock

You can write your own review of the Kantronics Mini-Reader.

WN9DDV Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2014 19:16 Send this review to a friend
good product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased on of these on the internet. It works very well. I am pleased with it.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2005 14:17 Send this review to a friend
It actually works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a crutch while I bring my Morse Code skills back on line after 40+ years. I tried the MFJ unit - nope!

After reading the reviews on the Kantronics units, I searched ebay and waited until I saw one and bought it. It actually works! My confidence is building as I can now glance over at the unit when I get stuck.

The directions aren't too clear on how to "tune" it, but I found you've gotta tune your incoming CW signal so the audio tone is around 700 Hz, give or take a hundred. The red LED will glow more brightly when you hit the proper audio tone and then like magic, the characters begin streaming across the screen. The big, fluorescent blue-green display is really easy for these old eyes to read, too. That's a bonus!

You can even use it to check on the quality of your outgoing CW and see how your "fist" sounds.

I'll add my condolences - too bad they don't make these any more.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2005 21:12 Send this review to a friend
A small decoder that actually works well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Kantronics Mini-Reader is a small CW/RTTY decoder. Unlike the tiny little offering from MFJ that looks cute but has a hard time decoding anything the Kantronics portable actually works, sucessfully reading the vast majority of CW signals on the air.

The blue flourescent display is large enough to be read at some distance. This is ideal when you have someone who doesn't copy CW around to show them what it's all about. It's also not a bad idea for people trying to improve rusty CW skills.

It's really a pity Kantronics doesn't make these any more. No computer is needed, it's simple, and it works.