Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | Morgan Mfg (formerly ICE) HF and VHF Low Pass filters Help

Reviews Summary for Morgan Mfg (formerly ICE) HF and VHF Low Pass filters
Morgan Mfg (formerly ICE) HF and VHF Low Pass filters Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $40-58
Description: Several models 600W and 8KW models - HF rolls off at 30 MHz and VHF rolls off at 54 MHz.
More info: http://www.morganmfg.us

You can write your own review of the Morgan Mfg (formerly ICE) HF and VHF Low Pass filters.

W6YDE Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 09:25 Send this review to a friend
VERY WELL MADE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using a low pass filter due to the fact that I operate in an area where there is still a lot of air TV reception being used.

After using a R.L.Drake low pass filter for over 30 years, I was having SWR problems due to the age and corrosion with the existing low pass filter. After a hands on check of several other manufactures filters, I purchased the I.C.E. 421 low pass filter.

The I.C.E. 421 has a lower cutoff frequency than others being at 32mhz. I checked the perforance of the 421 and found that the insersion loss is zero at the low end and very low at the high end. With a 8kw power rating and build like no other low pass filter that I have disassembled and tested, it should last a long, long time!

Mike/w6yde

K4TER Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2008 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely NO RFI!  Time owned: more than 12 months

I echo the other reviews. I didn't know it was possible to totally eliminate RFI problems, but now I know it's true.

I got both the ICE 421 and the Bencher YA1--since I REALLY wanted to eliminate my RFI problems. I full-time in an RV, and having neighbors literally steps away from my 400-watt station actually got me evicted from one RV park!

Even though folks were surprisingly understanding and accomodating, it was still stressful for me--knowing I was negatively impacting their lives. For example, at one RV park I turned-on the instant hot water heater in the motorhome on one side of me, and tripped the GFI in the trailer on the other side of me!

But since replacing my 30-year-old J.W. Miller unit with the two new filters I have had NO complaints in any of the RV parks I've stayed at. Now I'm more relaxed--confident when I pull into a new park that I can ham to my heart's content without alienating any of my neighbors.

V73NS Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2007 19:13 Send this review to a friend
FB OM!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Running the 6M (412) and 10M (411) filter on the beacon transmitters here. Inside - good construction and attention to detail. I tested both on a HP Network Analyzer as they came out of the box and they were 50 ohms with proper curves and required no tweaking. Insertion loss typical of any filter.

Great little filters.

VE6XL Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2006 03:14 Send this review to a friend
Work excellent with low loss  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the ICE 421 low pass filter.

Upon opening the filter enclosure it is extremely well made. The coils and contacts are commercial grade. The rating of this filter is 8KW and this can be seen when looking inside the unit.

When used after the amplifer it works very well in reducing RFI to equipment operating above 30 MHz.

ICE is a good company to deal with.

Interior pictures can be seen on my website.

VE6XL
www.ve6xl.ca

N9LYA Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2005 10:10 Send this review to a friend
ICE/Lightning  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all,
I use Ice Filters eclusively on my Multiport packet BBS.
4 HF Ports, 2 VHF and One UHF.. All ports have Ice Bandpass filters on them.
My Main Voice radio did not..
Last August we took a lightning hit.. Wipped out my Voice RIG and TVs Dish Equipment and PC's.. Lightning sturk top of tower.. Vaporized my Vertical antenna.. That Radio connected to it as well as all Radios with an Ice filter were undamaged.. In fact the Vaporized antenna with wire dangling below still showed an SWR of only 2:1. Prior it was 1:1. radio still worked..

I believe these units offer siginificant additional lightning protection when installed properly...

73 jerry n9lya

KA7GKN Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2005 06:14 Send this review to a friend
excellent product & made in U.S.A.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Actually I have two model 421 low pass filters..why?
Here is the logic:
One right after the transmitter to obviously reduce unwanted harmonics and placed before the linear. you don't want to amplify unwanted signals.
The second one is right after the linear to address any unwanted signals that sneaked by the first one. Overkill? no..Actually they suggested this configuration and not just to sell 2 units!
the important key for successful operation is the connecting of a "good quality" ground to each device!

I have a variety of I.C.E. devices. I am very pleased with their quality, affordability, technical support, customer service, and their one page techy reports.

This is an excellent company.
Marty, KA7GKN

LINKOUSK Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2005 21:10 Send this review to a friend
Like getting a new radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I highly recommend the ICE Model 420 if you are listening to HF in a metro area, and simply want to keep ANYTHING above 30 Mhz from getting to your receiver. In my case (Icom R75, B&W 45' folded dipole in the attic, 75' of RG213/U feeder) the difference is amazing. Intermod and desense due to strong signals VHF/UHF from nearby towers and airport are just gone. The noise floor is less than one in most cases (from 5 at least), and the radio now works like I'd imagined it should. I would not consider operating without it again.