Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Miracle Ducker IL Help

Reviews Summary for Miracle Ducker IL
Miracle Ducker IL Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $129
Description: Inline antenna tuner for wideband HTs or Handheld Receivers. Uses rubber duck or other portable antenna and plugs directly (BNC or w/SMA adapt.-not inlc) onto your HT or receiver.
More info: http://www.miracleantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Miracle Ducker IL.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 08:24 Send this review to a friend
turns your scanner into a worldband receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I fully agree with W2DI, this unit is excellent! It really converts a scanner or HT into a very capable receiver on HF. I use mine in conjunction with the R-20 or RX-7 and the TH-F6. It is very lightweight and works great as a tuner for QRP too.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2005 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If I could rate this little gadget a 10 on a scale from 1-5, I would.
This is a similar product to the Miracle Whip antenna many use for qrp with the Yaesu 817 and the like. It is made primarily, however, to act as a receiving antenna (although it will allow for transmitting 10W continuous, 25W PEP) for the HF bands using a wide-range HT like the TH-F6A or wide range receivers like the Icom R-10, R-20 etc.
Upon receiving the tuner, I tried it with my R-20. I connected a Pryme RD98, (18 inch, dual band, ultra flex) to the top of the Ducker IL and connected the Ducker IL directly to the R-20 BNC connector (with a radio like the F6A you'll need a BNC to SMA adapter).
The whole arrangement was not ackward or heavy, putting no extra strain on the R-20's BNC connector. This is especially true with a light antenna like the RD98.
You can put any BNC type antenna on the top, including 3-4 ft extendable whips, but be careful not to 'whip' these heavier antennas around, with or without the Ducker IL.
You can also attach a random wire, via a BNC, but I haven't tried that as of yet.
Using diffenent antennas on top will only marginally shift the tunining characteristics of the tuner. It is optimized for a 36" whip which will allow you to tune all the way down to AM broadcast. With my 18" RD98, I was able to tune down to 160 meters!
In use, the Ducker IL works great! It is easy to tune to any HF frequency, not being 'touchy,' and it really brings in the signals. Shifting from the R-20's supplied whip to the Ducker/Rd98 combo was like night and day! 15 meters was nothing with the straight whip, but with the Ducker IL I was easly able to copy many SSB stations (and conditions haven't been great recently).
My feeling is this. I got the R-20 to be a handheld receiver that covers a very wide range of frequencies. While some may wish to use these types of radios with outdoor, frequency dedicated antennas on HF, that kinda defeats the purpose of it being a handheld - IMHO. This product is perfect for these type of wide range receivers or extended receive HT's... you still have a lightweight, take anywhere handheld, but you will get excellent performance on HF as well!
Although my praise may make it sound otherwise, please note that I have no affiliation with the manufacturer. I just think this is a well made, excellent performing product and well worth the price.
73s to all and enjoy!