Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Radio Shack whip antenna 102 inchs long Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack whip antenna 102 inchs long
Radio Shack whip antenna 102 inchs long Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $16
Description: Antenna that is 102" long and is used mainly by CB Radio Operators. Also a good choice for 10 Meters. This antenna is available at some Radio Shack stores and at Radio shops.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack whip antenna 102 inchs long.

KG4NEL Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2014 13:44 Send this review to a friend
A true survivor...  Time owned: more than 12 months
An excellent option for HF mobile, if you're realistic about your expectations. I've used one since 2005 with an Icom AH-4 tuner for 20-6 meters; it'll load on 40 with a decent SWR, but I'd shudder to know what the actual efficiency is down there. As a very casual mobile HF op, however, it's fine.

It's survived countless tree strikes, bridges that weren't quite as tall as advertised, and other abuse. Put one on your favorite heavy-duty shock spring and roll!

KC9VYX Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2012 00:32 Send this review to a friend
20m and 40m with coil !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
with a wolf river coil sliver bullit tunes great and with a shorter whip will work for other bands have worked holland and australia and 25 states in the last week! i am a new ham have a report of 5 and 9 lots and have broken pileups with this steup and 100 watts with a yaesu 897d have this set up 12 feet from my house on a 6 ft tri-pod with 8 25ft 20ga radials this is my bace antenna more later 73s KC9VYX

KA1ZFY Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2012 06:06 Send this review to a friend
102" whip beats all  Time owned: more than 12 months
A resonant, full-sized quarter-wave vertical beats any shortened, loaded compromise quarter-wave antenna any day. I had trouble reaching a friend of mine from my mobile at 80 miles. We both use 100w. I switched from my Wilson 1000 to a 102" whip and an antenna tuner, and was able to copy him on 10m SSB with no problem. He was on his base using a shortened A99. The best part about the whip is that it is the cheapest choice and the best. How often does that happen?

W9GIL Rating: 3/5 Jan 23, 2012 18:13 Send this review to a friend
It is OK for 10 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the whip for some experimenting. I read a lot of good and bad things about it and also how easy you can convert it to some other bands. I gave it a try on 10 meters where it should tune with no problems. I ran SWR at 28400 and it was dead flat! WOW. I should mention that I was using magnet mount. So I decided to try it with a friend of mine who lives 15 miles away. Two whips, two cars, two Kenwood radios with 100 Watts. We got each other with 1S and really hard to copy. We decided to compare it to Wilson 1000 antenna whicj we both owned. This time it was S3 and clear copy.

My conclusion. If you need an antenna for 10 meter band only...think twice :-)

W5LZ Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2010 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Good for what it is.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used a 102" whip antenna as part of another antenna for a lot of years. They work just fine as a component part, or a stand-alone antenna if it's as long as you need for some particular frequency. I've bent a few, but can't remember ever seeing one broken completely.
How does it work with a tuner on bands where it's too 'short'? If it isn't 'too short', it'll probably work okay. Until you get to somewhere near 20 meters or so, and then it's more a liability than an asset. A tuner will do nice things for impedance matching, but nothing for resonance (the 'other half' of tuning any antenna). No matter what tuner you use, 40 and 80 meters will be terrible unless you've got a loading coil in there somewhere. It still won't be an ~efficient~ antenna on 40 or 80 meters, but it'll 'work'.
Something to remember is that the 'antenna' starts where the feed line ends. Count the height of the mount in the length of the radiating part of that antenna. That 102 inches isn't -all- of the actual length of the 'antenna'.
Paul

W9VER Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2010 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Just some information  Time owned: months
I would like to throw out some thoughts.

I have several of these and it is indeed a great antenna, but it is the "lightweight" version of the 102 incher. DX Engineering offers a 102" that is more rigid and uses a larger diameter taper.

Having said that, you can't beat the R.S. 102, I mean how can you mess up a 102" whip design?

AD7JR Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2010 09:37 Send this review to a friend
solid antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This indestructable piece of stainless is good for 10 meters, 11 meters and 12 meters just as it is sold. You can add a spring if you want for little better swr on 11-12 meters, take spring off for 10 meters. If you've got the room, it's the only antenna to have for 10 meters. The only reason I'd think of any other antenna for 10 would be lack of space.

W2YM Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2010 22:01 Send this review to a friend
102 Inch, AT-200Pro, HF mobile  Time owned: months
What if I use the 102inch whip with a LDG AT-200Pro tuner and a good HF mobile rig. Wonder how that would work for 80-10.. Just wondering what everyone thinks.. Thanks

K5UJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Great but metric  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm giving this whip antenna a 5 because it really is a well made stainless steel whip at a very reasonable price and nothing else needs to be said IF you live outside the U.S. For Americans, I bought mine at the local Radio Shack, planning on using it with a large 3 or 4 magnet mount to make a 1/4 w. ground plane vertical for ten meters. Everything was excellent except that the mounting threads for the whip were metric and I could find no mounting hardware here that was anything other than English measurements. I considered some sort of adapter method but there was nothing available that would both work and give the antenna a strong attachment to the mount. I wound up returning the antenna to Radio Shack and they gave me a full refund.

If you buy one make sure it will mate with your antenna mount!

KE5JPS Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2009 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Solid! What else can you say?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this antenna with my President Grant CB before I got my ham ticket. I didn't know at the time why it did so well with "skip". It is a 1/4 wave antenna and has a more upward radiation than other antennas. I have wanted to cut it down to use on 10m. I think that this antenna would be awesome. How can you go wrong with this antenna? No maintenance what so ever. Make sure to mount with a lock washer. May not be good for those with a garage, but the flexibility allows for bending it over to a tie down without removing it. That's what I did mounted to the bed up by the cab.