Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Radio Shack whip antenna 102 inchs long Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack whip antenna 102 inchs long
Radio Shack whip antenna 102 inchs long Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $16
Description: Antenna that is 102" long and is used mainly by CB Radio Operators. Also a good choice for 10 Meters. This antenna is available at some Radio Shack stores and at Radio shops.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack whip antenna 102 inchs long.

KI4SDY Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2007 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Best Mobile Antenn Radio Shack Ever Made!  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is nothing better than this inexpensive solid and strong 102" whip for 11 or 10 meters. I have used them for over 35 years. Low SWR and maximum radiated power, what more could you ask? I have talked all across the U.S. with this antenna mounted on the bumper. The mounting bolt is brass, however, so keep it screwed in snug by checking it every month or so, otherwise it will wear the threads and render the antenna useless.

Use it with a spring for 11 meters and without for 10 meters and 11 meters (still works fine). I have never had to trim one.

Bend it over and tie it down with an insulator for short range use or to garage. Perfect!

DBHOST Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2007 20:40 Send this review to a friend
I keep getting these...  Time owned: more than 12 months
For starters, I am not an amateur operator as of yet. But I have been into CB for decades. I have tons of experience with this antenna, and feel qualified to give a review on it.

My first Radio Shack 102" Stainless Steel whip antenna was purchased in 1989, and installed on a 1965 Volkswagen Baja Bug via a Radio Shack ball mount, run to a Cobra 29 (LTD I think) 40 channel CB Radio. This rig without any tweaking aside from the addition of a Cobra branded power mic, would talk with the best of the AM CB guys running my area. And on more than one occasion I was accused of running illegal power because of the antenna.

The second one was installed on the hatch of my 1976 Toyota Celica via a hatch mount at the top of the hatch. This antenna routed to a Radio Shack TRC 465 with, at the time, a stock mic. Again, was often accused of running illegal power (dead stock, no linear, 4w am, 12w ssb).

Since that point, the radio has stayed the same, just the cars, and antennas have changed. 1984 Jeep CJ-7, 2000 Ford Ranger, and now 2004 Ford F150. The F150 install hasn't been completed as I do not want to drill, and am having trouble finding an acceptable mount.

In each of the installs, the antenna, with no trimming with a good coax, gave SWR of 1.1 on the low side, to 1.25 on the high (the Jeep). In all circumstances, the antenna provided a VERY strong signal, and was the source of a lot of quations by curious onlookers, and fellow CB hobbyists. Especially the fiberglass stick crowd.

Simply put, the 102 is an enormous stick, that will whack just about anything overhead (STRONGLY reccomend using a spring!), it's heavy, and ends up making your vehicle look like a Radio Controlled toy. It also, in stock legal form on 11m pushes performance limits good and hard. I found that after about 6 years of pounding on branches and such, that the tip tends to make a quation mark, and the antenna either needs to get replaced, or straightened out. Radio Shack does seem to be phasing out CB and amateur stuff, so I am planning on buying about 4 or so more of these before they are no longer avaiable...

Amateur operators I have known have taken my old, bent ones off my hands, and straigthened them up, and used them on 10-12m. And I have seen these set up trimmed up, as a part of a dipole rig...

Long story short, great antenna, for the bands around 11m, this is a hard antenna to beat!

WI7B Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2007 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Durable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This CB antenna replaced my MFJ Telescoping 12 foot whip when it came crasing off its 24-3/8" stud and over my balcony.

The Radio Shack whip is made strong for mobile use, but works great on my Texas Bugcatcher loading coil and tunes 6-160m.

I'd rather have 12 feet of this puppy, but 8.5 feet is better than another MFJ catastrophe.

AB0RE Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2006 19:32 Send this review to a friend
As expected from a 102" piece of metal  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these in my garage for years. Recently I decided to make a 10M "hamstick" dipole with two of these.

When I picked up a second 102" whip I was surprised to find it was 1/4" off that of my original whip. And, the price tag on these is now $25.

Other than those couple nuisances it appears to be of reasonable quality. Measuring from 28 - 29MHz with my 2 x 102" whip dipole antenna I get an SWR around 1.4 - 1.5:1, not even worth trimming the whips up. The whips droop down a bit as the antenna is placed horizontally - it makes my antenna something between a flat-top and an inverted vee.

Thanks and 73,
Dan / ab0re

AK2B Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2006 13:45 Send this review to a friend
An excellant deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
IC-706, AH-4, and RS 102” = Mobile Heaven.
There are those who will tell you that there are better (more efficient) mobile antennas but I don’t really care. The possibility that they may work better would not offset the price and convenience of my present system. As it is I work every thing I hear and often will get through a pile-up with ease. My route to and from work takes me along the Atlantic Ocean which serves well the real estate anthem of “location, location, location”.
I have the whip attached with a quick disconnect adapter but I seldom remove it. I park on the streets of Manhattan and have never had a problem. Someone asked once, “Where’s the raccoon tail” - but that was it. Really, if someone stole it, $20 gets me a new one. It’s a small price to pay for being able to just plug in the control head and work the world.
Some of the reviews here are pretty funny, particularly the one about getting a slim spring and hitting the brakes to ward off tailgaters.

Tom

W3DBB Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2006 17:31 Send this review to a friend
good 10 meter mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use one of these mounted to the Hidden Hitch attached to the 'frame' of my 2001 Chevy Cavalier coupe. I use a New-Tronics SSM-3 spring and this attaches to the hitch with an Iron Horse IHTH-1 adaptors.

My rig is a Roadpro Titan II RPSY-485, a lower-powered version of the RadioShack HTX-10. The Titan rig produces 12 Watts peak envelope power on single sideband.

The whip has performed flawlessly on 10 meter SSB without any pruning. The little rig delivers full power to the whip.

The quality spring and mount to the aftermarket trailer hitch on the Cavalier ensure things stay securely attached, and sway is kept to an acceptable minimum. I use no guy wires.

I recommend this for ten meters over the more slickly packaged solutions.

Doug Burlew
KA3TGV

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2006 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Just what is needed no more  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like one fellow stated " like rating a brick"
I use one with the AH-4 and wrk the world from my truck. Trees whack it and it is still there.

Dan

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2006 09:37 Send this review to a friend
I use it for HF portable...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I made up a car-top rig out of plywood, a sheet of copper foil, an ICOM AH-4 antenna coupler, and a Radio Shack 102" whip. The whole thing sits between the roof racks on my car and I use it for "HF Portable." Works great! I park at the beach, run a ground wire into the water, if I'm close enough, and use my ICOM 706 MkIIG to work the world. The AH-4 does a great job tuning this whip on every band from 10m up to 80m, believe it or not. I'm not saying it's the most efficient setup, but it works for me.

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2006 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Simple and strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 102" whip is simple to use (I bought two and scaled them down for other uses later) and is constructed with reasonable strength. Little can go wrong with them. They are not junk and there's nothing to complain about. It's a little like rating a brick, it's that simple. It's not a "system", it's just a handy and useful mobile/portable antenna.

SPARKFLY88 Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2006 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Not ment for my car  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love my 102" whips! I have a 92 buick lesabre, aka old grandpa car pulled by a truck motor, and I decided to add my own touch to the car by gettin a CB,I started with a Midland 1001z and a little 10" magnet mount antenna(didnt have it long) That setup sucked, the antenna was from walmart, and it was a POS. So I went in hunt for the fabled 102". It took me a while to find it, then I went to radioshack, appauled they didnt have it, untill they heard me talkin about it to another, then they came out of the backroom with it in hand for me. I got home with it, installed it on my back right bumper on a ball mount. It worked EXCELLENTLY. I had it for about 2 months, then wasn't done with my project, I went out and bought another antenna to attatch to my other side of the bumper, so now I'm Struttin dual 102" whips. The faces out of these people behind me at a redlight, when they move the sunshield out of their way, while im watchin them in my rearview, they look up to the sky with a face like "DO they end?!" I work at Mcdonalds, and it is fun as hell to go through my own drivethru causing all the noise. People DO stay way back from me on the highway, cause these things can be a little crazy with wind(so i put tennis balls on them so they cannot hit my car anymore) I love my antennas! Everyone can spot my car wherever I go, and get comments on them all the time. I have a photo of my car with antennas if anyone wishes to see. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Sparkfly88/workcarandtux008.jpg