Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | RAK 1:1 Balun Type BL-50A Help

Reviews Summary for RAK 1:1 Balun Type BL-50A
RAK  1:1 Balun Type BL-50A Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Electrical Rating:
Band Width 1.8 to 30Mhz continuous.
Power Rating 2Kw PEP 1Kw CW.
Impedance 50ohms.
Transformation Ratio 1:1,Less than 0.2db.
Tensile Srength 250kg(60%down)Horizontal.
150kg(60%down)Vertical.

You can write your own review of the RAK 1:1 Balun Type BL-50A.

VK3EMJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2010 16:26 Send this review to a friend
High Quality Balun  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these. The first is circa 1988 and has stood the test of time perfectly. I was so impressed with its durability that I jumped at the opportunity to pickup another 2nd hand unit in 2009 for portable operation.

The BL-50A is a fully sealed unit and as such is inherently weatherproof. No rubber seals, silicones or other such weatherproofing needed.

These were sold locally in VK/ZL by Dick Smith Electronics years ago when they serviced our amateur community.

If you need an inexpensive 1:1 balun that has very high resistance to the weathering, I thoroughly recommend this unit.

The only design deficiency to my mind is the lack of a vertical support hole or hook. It was not necessary in my installation, so I am not marking it down for this. I can imagine for centre mount point installations, this might be overcome by using a small piece of weatherproof rope between the horizontal support holes as a vertical attachment point.

Michael Weinstock
VK3EMJ

ZL1PO Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2005 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Primo !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one installed on a homebrew half wave single wire dipole with links for 80m/40m which is used for field comms.This has given trouble free operation over a ten plus years.Another is installed at home QTH as the centre feed point for a two wire dipole on 80m and 40m.This has been in use now for 9 months.The original baluns hardware did not show signs of terminal corosion but the newer one has so I replaced with stainless steel.As most balun manufactures specify keep the antenna tuned for resonance,keep the tuner in the cupboard and you should not have a problems.