Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-V82 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-V82
Icom IC-V82 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $$239.99
Description: 2M HT

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-V82.

KJ4MCK Rating: 4/5 Aug 24, 2009 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Great HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My dad(KQ4LS) told me and my brother if we passed our Tech test he would get us a radio. We took our test in March and both passed. I picked the V82 my brother got the Yaseu vx-170. My pick was so much better the 7 watt compared to the 5 watt is a big difference. He lives in the middle of town and can barley hit the reapeter from inside his apartment, I live 20+ miles from town and can hit it from inside the house.

The battery life is awsome its only went dead on me twice both times after not being charged for several days.

The only thing keeping it from a 5 is the non-lit keyboard. But the screen does light up and with a map light in the truck it dosen't really matter.

I would deffinetly recomond this HT. It also comes with a desktop charger that you can keep the radio on while it charges.

Great radio!

AB7KT Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2009 05:39 Send this review to a friend
I am very satisfied with mine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a bunch of HTs over the years. At the time I purchased the IC-V82 I owned two other HTs. In my opinon, I felt that many HTs were getting far too complicated and contained many features that I never used. In addition, I guess I am going against the grain here, but I also felt they were getting too small.
I liked the fact that the IC-V82 was large for a modern HT, making it IMO easier to operate than a miniature or sub-miniature radio. It is IMO pretty simple to operate (although like every radio I own, I do need to use the manual for some features). I think the 7 watts does make a difference on the air: HTs have proven to me to be very marginal in performace with their severely compromised antennas, so every little bit helps. I do have another VHF/UHF radio with 50 watts and an outdoor antenna in the shack, but I like to have something sitting on the end table in the living room and the 7 watts allow me to get into the local repeaters from my easy chair. I have to also admit that probably the biggest reason I bought the IC-V82 was price. I liked the other features of the radio, but made pretty much an impulse buy because it offered the features I liked at a very reasonable price. I figured that I wouldn't feel bad using this HT under rough conditions since the price is so low I wouldn't be devastated if something happened to it, although I am certainly not going to mistreat it.
I personally don't buy factory accessories for a lot of my radio stuff. They are priced a lot higher than aftermarket accessories which often provide much higher performance than the factory parts. So, after buying the radio, I picked up a Batteries America battery pack with that provides 7.2 volts at 2200 mAh, their charger, and their lighter plug. I also replaced the factory rubber duck antenna with a higher performace aftermarket antenna that I had lying around the house.
So far, I have nothing negative to say about the radio.

G8WVW Rating: 2/5 Dec 1, 2008 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Human interface is awful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sorted out a problem with a friends V82 and I must say it may be very clever electronically but the human interface is absolutely awful. The display is tiny, keypad confusing and the menus are not intuitive in any way. I work in the electronics industry and very accustomed to complicated systems ... I could not programme a memory and add a name to it without using the manual. Very confusing and frustrating. In comparison to the FT60 or VX170's it really is awful.

KI4NSQ Rating: 3/5 Nov 5, 2008 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Good HT when dry  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a new HAM I managed to get it programmed for the local repeater; really liked the weather alert function. But then I got it wet in the rain and it died. Not covered by warranty. I'll be more careful next time I buy one.
KI4NSQ

KJ4AQV Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2008 18:50 Send this review to a friend
100 times better than a cb radio hand held, Loud and strong!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is alsome, a must have for a ht every new and old ham should have one. 7W of power and a great recive. Works very well with a wilson mag mount for mobile. It sells it's self, buy it and you sould love it. 73 kj4aqv kevin.

KI6JJZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2008 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've just returned from a desert race in Baja where I put the IC-V82 through a rigorous weekend. I race an ATV and use this radio to communicate with both main and chase pits. It is connected to a helmet kit which comes with the mic and speakers and a ptt that attaches to the handlebars. I used the stock battery(BP-222) while pre-running and was able to reach both pits. The race is a 10 mile loop and the terrain varies from rolling hills to a few canyons. Race day I switched to the optional battery(BP-209N) and got even better signal reports. The radio sits in a pouch attached to the back of the chest protector. It's easy to program and one feature I liked was the keypad lockout which prevents it from changing freqs and so on. The audio was loud and clear even with the engine noise. I put a total of 120 off road miles on that radio which included tons of dust and even a slight drizzle. The last guy who posted said this radio wasn't capable of handling the shock, well try 4ft woops and microwave sized rocks. I can't see putting an HT through anymore punishment than this. I'm very satisfied with this radio and I'd give it a 5 except it doesn't come with a cig adapter. I wouldn't think twice about buying another one. Jesse Ochoa KI6JJZ

KB1HLX Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2008 15:24 Send this review to a friend
IC-V82 - Great Deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had to read through the manual to fully appreciate this radio. The receiver sensitivity and audio output are very good for a portable such as this. I use it mobile with a 5/8 wave mag-mount antenna and the ICOM HM-75A speaker microphone. The speaker microphone allows me to keep the radio safely out of the way and the audio closer to my ears. It doesn't have a power jack, so you need to be familiar with what the batteries can do. The Nicad battery that is supplied is of low capacity. Therefore, I purchased a higher capacity Nicad and kept the original as a backup. There a other battery options as well. No piece of equipment is perfect, but this little rig does the job very well at an affordable price. There are other HT's in the same price range. I purchased this one since it has the option to upgrade to D-Star digital should it ever come this way.

KC9LCS Rating: 2/5 Mar 24, 2008 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Could Be Better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio does work but has some serious issues. First, The Audio out is VERY low. You must hold this radio close to your ear to hear a transmission. The Charger is VERY poor. It is very difficult to seat the radio on the charger even with the adapter. Don't waste your money for two extra watts. The extra watts don't make a difference. No 12 volt car charger is available. Also, the Rebate from ICOM took over two months from the time I sent it in the mail.

XU7ADQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2008 00:20 Send this review to a friend
High powered and very sensitive rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio, new ($125), in Siem Reap Cambodia for using as a link to the Air Traffic control tower at the airport.
Ground comms at SRP take place on VHF FM (143.750MHz - not airband), so itís useful for monitoring comms between our controllers and 3 Alpha (the airport fire/runway inspection trucks).
Before this, CATS (Cambodia Air Traffic Services) were using Kenwood TH-22ís, which had a habit of dying in mid QSO (down to battery life being shortened due to age)!
The 7 watts ensures that all transmissions are received all the time, but ĎMIDí power is quite adequate and is used most of the time.
The receive capability on this rig is phenomenal!
I can go 40-50 Kmís from the airport, and still hear the tower with no problem!
The rig comes standard with a 137-174 MHz TX capability, and (unlike most versions) has an 1100 mAh also as standard in the box.
The stock antenna is still in the box, having been replaced with a diamond RH707, which is thinner, more flexible and doesnít have that horrible chrome BNC connector visible, as well as giving a significant increase in received signals (Iíve done side by side tests using both).
The only minor niggles that I have, is that the DCS Ďlatch oní time is slightly less than my VX-6Rís (I use the VX-6r to monitor VHF/UHF air band frequencies), and sometimes results in missing the first word/words of an over.
Also, the LCD display is next to unreadable, due to its minuscule size.
If the DV digital (UT-118) board was cheaper, I would definitely buy another rig for Ďprivateí comms.
The rig is very robust, and has stood the last six months of dust and vibration, drops and soakings that Iíve subjected it to.
I wouldnít hesitate to recommend this rig to anyone as a high quality/high power/digital capable Ďstarterí, and itís now the radio of choice for our radar and VOR/DME/ILS technicians here.
If youíre visiting Angkor Wat, you would normally land at Siem Reap airport, and if youíve bought a rig with you, you might find these frequencies useful.
Tower: 118.000 MHz (AM)
Approach: 124.300 MHz (AM)
ACC (FIR): 127.500 MHz (AM)
Ground (apron): 121.750 MHz (AM)
ATIS (WX): 129.950 MHz (AM)
Tower Ė fire: 143.750 MHz (FM)

GUD DX to all (Iím using a IC-706 MKII G for 7, 18, 28 & 50 MHZ SSB)

Paul XU7ADQ

KD8GBJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2008 22:50 Send this review to a friend
Works !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got Good report on sound quality. easy to set up and use

miss back light