Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond NR22L Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond NR22L
Diamond NR22L Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$79.95 Universal
Description: The Diamond NR22L is a very high gain 2 meter, mobile antenna. This is a tall antenna .It's 96.9 (2.46m) inches tall with a center load. "2 5/8 + 1/4 wave" design with 6.2 dB gain. Max input 100w. For UHF mount.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/nr22l.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond NR22L.

KC5ODT Rating: 0/5 Sep 12, 2016 17:31 Send this review to a friend
great antenna,terrible quality,horrible service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
fantastic antenna,but literally fell apart after 3 months.you cant build an antenna thats 97 inches tall and use soft brass on the foldover mechanism.it doesnt work guys!
service and support are nonexistent.i dont know how they stay in business!took 2 weeks just to get someone on the phone to get a return number and took another week to find out if it had been shipped out yet.had to ship the entire antenna at a cost of 18.00 just to prove to diamond that the antenna had not been abused.i have bought thousands of dollars of diamond products over the years and this was the last item.they have serious issues with warranty,support,answering calls,and returning emails

N2KZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2015 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Tall is Terrific  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Operating from my car has had its challenges. For years, I used my 5 watt Icom IC-T7H HT along with a Larsen mag-mount on car roof for all of my VHF/UHF QSOs. Intermittent and frustrating reception took its toll on my forgiving friends.

Due to quite justified peer pressure, several months ago I upgraded to a 55 watt Yaesu FT-1900R 2 meter transceiver using a Diamond M285 single 5/8ths wavelength trunk mounted whip. My commute to and from my workplace continued to be challenging. I often drive through very rocky crags and valleys where 2 meter FM transmissions simply don't flourish.

To improve my results, I decided to double the length of my antenna and try the towering Diamond NR22L whip. Providing 6 dbi of gain, this monoband antenna travels at about 11 and a half feet above the road's surface. Let's just say I get a lot of attention riding around with this configuration. The NR22L is a dual 5/8ths array ready to burn holes in the clouds. Different it is!

The performance of my giraffe antenna has been quite different than my previous simple 5/8ths whip. The longer length design of the NR22L flattens the take-off angle of my transmissions to achieve additional gain. It also changes my results dramatically.

Upon first installing the antenna, a quick field test proved that both transmission and reception came up a couple of notches on the S-unit scale. The NR22L made simplex operation reliable and, often, nearly full-quieting. I could now hear things that I never could before. So far, so good.

After a couple of days use, other characteristics became obvious. Changing your antenna pattern really changes everything. With a single 5/8ths whip, my transmission pattern looks a lot like a nice fat fresh donut. Add an additional 5/8ths length to the design to create a two-element vertical array and the donut pattern is gently squashed. What used to full and round is now flattened a wee bit but extends farther. Also keep in mind that the length of the antenna is doubled, so you also gain significant height. It doesn't hurt to be able to fling your signal above some obstructions.

The final result has been revelatory. When the new, tall array is in the clear, it sends and receives signals farther than anything I have experienced. Reception also becomes incredibly robust. One fine example is reception of the ARRL's W1AW Morse Code broadcasts on 147.555 MHz. Newington, Connecticut is a good 55 miles away. Using the single whip, I would hear tiny bursts of code during my drives home from work. Now reception is filled with long periods of strong signals.

It also became obvious that the NR22L's extended reach is a compromise. In areas where rock-filled valleys thrive, my mobile signals now have a different personality. Signal ups and downs are amplified. When they are strong, they are very strong. When they are weak, signals now disappear. The shorter whip was much more consistent although mediocre. One thing for sure, I can work many more repeaters and stations than I ever could before. The thinner and narrower antenna pattern of the NR22L is much easier to interrupt. The smaller M285 allows signals to jump bumps better but it is just not a DX antenna. Each one has its role. I would love to try the NR22L in Michigan where you can see the horizon all around you and the world is flat!

My new Diamond NR22L really shines is during simplex operation. In our area, you will often find a voice or two on 146.52 and 146.58 MHz. I had one particularly memorable pair of QSOs one afternoon. Stations in Valhalla (Central Westchester,) New York and in Clifton, New Jersey heard me on simplex with armchair copy following a long chat with another couple of simplexers in Westport and Norwalk, Connecticut. I've never done that before! No doubt, the new antenna really gets out. Simplex comes alive with this antenna!

A couple of other things I should mention: The longer NR22L has a much more narrow bandwidth than the M285. My reception of weather band frequencies around 162 MHz became noticeably weaker. The NR22L also seems to be a better match and/or a more efficient design. My rig used to get pretty hot during our weekly Old Goats Net - an hour or more of fairly continual conversation using the shorter M285. With my new NR22L, my rig runs so cool it's amazing. Maybe it had something to do with radiation coming back down the feedline into the rig instead of up into the air. My new antenna is literally so cool!

I now have to be very cognizant of height. Riding around with 11 1/2 feet of antenna can be challenging! Clearance signs posted on bridges and parking lot entrances have new meaning. Diamond answered this problem two-fold. Yes, the antenna is spring loaded to fold completely over by just pulling it up slightly to reveal a built-in pivot at the base.

The designers also considered aesthetics and durability. The bottom half of the antenna is stiff and strong and barely flexes even at highway speeds. The top half is a springy pliable thin steel rod that does flex but blends into the sky to reduce wind resistance and visibility. My wife still hasn't noticed the enormous increase in length of 'that embarrassing antenna.' My installation employs Diamond's attractive K600M trunk lid mount. It anchors my tall antenna with confidence.

If your car could handle the complexity, it would be wonderful to have both the shorter M285 and the giraffe NR22L on an A/B switch so you could adjust to any situation. Overall, the monoband Diamond NR22L is a very worthy investment. I can't wait to get to the top of Bear Mountain in the spring. Just rising a hundred feet from my QTH to the top of a nearby hill makes a world of difference. From Bear Mountain, I probably can work the world! I would recommend the NR22L for anyone who wants the very best in 2 meter mobile operation. What fun!

W4JPS Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2012 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Still the Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
My NR-22L is now over 10 years old now and is still working like day 1...

I clean it every couple years with scotch brite and mild cleaner followed up with a coat of Rem Oil or the like.

The only issue I ever have with this antenna is the top element will smack a tree limb from time to time and bend near the corona ball. These bends can usually be restored with careful manipulation of the element as long as you take care of it before it happens again...

I moved to the K600 per RF parts recommendation and it actually works better than the K400 due to the fact that the RG174 or whatever it is on the K600 has higher loss than I realized from my initial review. The RG8/x on the K400 runs to just a few inches of the mount itself.

VA3AWP Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First of all, the K-400S mount (the mount that I am using) from Diamond is absolutely required at a minimum, don't try and use anything of lesser strength or design as the NR22L is a BIG antenna and it needs a strong support. The build quality of this antenna is absolutely top notch; it's durability and strength is matched by it's excellent performance. At first glance and feel of the antenna you will be impressed with the quality.

I had been using a Larsen 2m/70 with a magnet mount, however, at high speeds the antenna was blowing off the roof of my car (120-130 kmh) which was not good for obvious reasons. The performance of the NR22L was quite impressive after switching from the Larsen. I am now able to open up repeaters that I was never able to open before while parked in my drive.

I live in the country and being able to open repeaters at long ranges is an absolute must. I highly recommend this antenna to anyone looking for a high gain mono band solution, it's a very impressive antenna, especially for the price.

Price paid was 75$ at Radioworld in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

KF5ECR Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2010 01:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 45w htx-212. not a whole lot of watts to play with, but it doesn't matter with the NR22L. I can hit repeaters with this antenna that i could never hit with my other mobile antenna. All in all, a great antenna at a great price. I got mine second hand on eBay for $50, shipped!!

K9GTJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2009 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Good but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is an excellent antenna for gain and does require a good mount. I have mine on a Larson TMB34 mounted inside of the bed of my truck. I park in a garage so I don't used the antenna daily but use it when storm spotting or on trips were I want great two meter coverage.

(I worked a two meter simplex contest this past summer in RI as a rover and several thought I was running a mobile amp but I was not.)

There are just two problems. The first one is slightly minor. The antenna is a fold over. I do like to drive a highway speeds and at 70+ MPH, the antenna does slightly lift up from the base. It doesn't seem to cause any reception or SWR issues but I wished it had a screw down base like some of the other Diamond fold overs.

The second issue is the top of the antenna does get bent up. I don't know why but it happens but straightens back out.

Those two things are minor flaws in an otherwise top performer.

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2009 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's doesn't get any better than this!
Build quality was to Diamond's typical high standard, a K400HD mount is mandatory minimum, and it proved totally reliable. Over distance and difficult copies it made the difference compared to more average size antennas.
Highly recommended as the ultimate mobile!

W2JPS Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2009 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Best 2m Hi-Gainer  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best performing hi-gain 2m mobile antenna on the market. I installed it in 2002 on a 99 Saturn. I accidentally broke the fold-over base by leaving it folded too long and/or moving the car with it folded...that cost me ~$25 after shipping. It is too heavy to fold-over. It requires a K400 trunk-lip mount or a quad-magnet (Lakeview Antenna Co). A diamond K600 may work, but the K400 is stronger and works flawlessly. Flat SWR across the entire band. Rediculous performance!! Well matched to the Icom IC-V8000...at 75W the ERP is ~225W less minimal reflected power...

NL7SX Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2008 11:16 Send this review to a friend
great antenna, make your own mount!  Time owned: more than 12 months
There are no mounts strong enough to support this antenna so, use AIM CPAD-207 (AES page 111)through a plate, maybe Diamonds CRM mirror/luggage rack mount (AES page 80). Adjust SO239's length for the socket of the NR22L. The common SO239 is not long enough or strong enough to support this antenna in my opinion. This jeep mounted antenna performs almost as good as my base station Diamond monobander for 2M. I'd still suggest folding the antenna down and securing it when going over rough terrain!

KI4SMP Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2007 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While using the same radio and changing nothing but the antenna, the very first comment that I received from a station that I'd talked with regularly for over a year was "YOU ARE LOUD! What have you done?!"
A ruggedly built antenna that obviously performs.