Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Simplex Mono Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Simplex Mono
Begali Simplex Mono Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $165.00
Description: Single lever key with a novel segmented lever, gold or palladium plated base.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Simplex Mono.

PA0KVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2009 05:56 Send this review to a friend
A very good key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Begali Simplex Mono is a nice piece of craftsmanship.
I ordered the key with palladium finish, which in my opinion looks great.
It comes a few days after I ordered it, very well packaged.
I always knew the status of my order, thanks to Pieroís daughter Bruna.
The key feels pretty when adjusted the right way.
It took me some time to find the right adjustment for the contact spacing and the backlash.
The only minor drawback is the dust cap; it is made of very thin material.
I also own an Iambic key, of another brand, but I never felt comfortable with it.
With the monokey my mistakes are less en it feels better.

Koen, PA0KVA

N0CU Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2009 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful and well built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a new SIMPLEX MONO from the Piero Begali website. Even though purchasing via the website is a simple and straight forward process, I still managed to make an error on my order. Bruna (Pieroís daughter) could not have been more helpful in getting it right for me. She will do whatever it takes to insure customer satisfaction and is a pleasure to work with. My key arrived in only 3 weeks even though it was shipped during the week of Christmas. The key is truly a work of art and exceeds all of my expectations. Since I am transitioning from a 40 year old straight key, I canít give a comparison to any other similar products. I am, however, totally satisfied with the way it performs. I agree with comments about the dust cover- it needs to be made from a thicker plastic.
Bill N0CU

K6GAK Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2008 11:13 Send this review to a friend
When only the best will do  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Simplex Mono arrived six days after my online order and I am delighted with it. It's like having a work of art on my operating desk, but most importantly, it performs like no key that I have ever used before. Throughout the course of a year, I order many things online, both from eBay and commercial vendors. The customer service that I received from Ulrich (US representative) and Bruna is easily the best I have ever experienced. It was truly a pleasure doing business with these fine people.

One suggtestion -- the plastic dust cover included with the paddle, while adequate, is rather light duty. A more substantial version which could be ordered separately, such as the one sold by Vibroplex for about $30 US, would be a welcome addition to the Bengali line.

Thank you Piero and Bruna for providing this wonderful product!

VE7CTF Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 15:37 Send this review to a friend
TOP QUALITY KEY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for a high quality key, then I can guarantee that you will be happy with this one.

I had a slight problem (not their fault), and Peiro and Bruna were very professional about it.
Bruna immediately e-mailed me back and even offered to replace the key with a new one if I wasn't happy with the one I had. With their assistance I was able to solve the problem. No
one else is going to give you that kind of service and back-up their product like they do.

I could go and and on about the workmanship and
quality of this key, but I would only be repeating what has already been said in this forum.

I can only say that I love this key!

N9ZI Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2007 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great Paddle - I have been playing around with a few other paddles & can tell you that this is one great paddle for sending cw. The looks & feel are just superb!!

The Bencher, Vibroplex, Kent, none come even close to the Begali in my judgement.

Thanks for such a nice built & functional paddle.

KD7AK Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2007 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Mechanically and aesthetically superb!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Begali Simplex Mono Begali key arrived in the mail from Italy a few short days after I ordered it. It is absolutely splendid - both aesthetically and mechanically. A fine piece of craftsmanship, and it is, hands down, the finest key I have ever used -it felt like an old friend from the very first touch. And the careful and thoughtful packaging was artful and so effective that no amount of postal mishandling, no matter how severe, could have possibly damaged the shipment. I am using the key with an MFJ-407D electronic keyer, and the system could not be any nicer. What a joy to use! Thanks so much to the Begalis for this splendid example of fine Italian engineering, art, and craftsmanship, as well as for their prompt,impeccable, personable service. It was a distinct pleasure dealing with the Begalis, and I look forward to more in the future. Thanks, Bruna & Piero!
Dick Schaus, KD7AK, Kalispell, Montana

9V1VV Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2007 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the key by Paypal and it arrived three weeks later in Singapore very well packaged. Ms Bruna Begali acknowledged the order and sent the tracking details very promptly.

It is an attractive example of quality workmanship not often found in today's world of mass-production and built-in obsolescence. Mine came with a spare set of short blue aluminium paddles which feel perfect. After adjustment, which is very simple, the key felt comfortable within minutes, as if I had been using it for years. In fact it becomes almost transparent so you don't really notice it when sending, and CW becomes a natural rhythmic extension of mind and fist, the way a good key should feel. I have a collection of all sorts of keys from Amplidan and GHD straight keys to Kent iambic paddles, but at the moment this one feels best.

My only small grumble is that the screws supplied for the spare paddles are too long by about 1mm. The spare paddles are thinner than the original plastic ones, so the screws on opposite sides meet together before they can be fully tightened. I was lucky enough to have some short chrome screws in the shack to replace them. Using washers or trying to file down the screws is a bit messy.

For those who prefer bug-style sending to iambic, this is the ultimate key if you connect it to an electronic bug-capable keyer like the Norcal QRP-er or similar. You won't be disappointed.

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2007 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently tried the Simplex Mono and although I prefer an iambic style paddle, I also enjoy using a single-lever key at times.

Fit, finish, and operation is equal to my oher Begali keys. I particularly like the palladium base. This one's a winner for me.

G3LIV Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2007 12:12 Send this review to a friend
A bit disappointed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I took delivery of my Begali Simplex Mono in late Feb 2007. Delivery time was Circa 6/7 weeks, more due to the Xmas rush I was told. That seemed a reasonable situation for the longer delay in receiving it.
Mine is the Paladium coating, which looks fine. However the amout of scoring from the cutting tools on the sides of the main block were very visible. The top of the block is a wonderful finish. I did think the sides should have matched the quality of the top.I had paid extra to have my callsign engraved on it. A nice special touch I thought.
However the cutting lines running behind as it was the engraved callsign make that item somewhat disappointing.
I did email Begali who did ask me to return it if I was unhappy. But no return postage costs were mentioned. As the return post costs were £15.00 / US$30 I declined the offer. I felt I had paid enough.No further communication was received from Begali after I had turned down the offer of returning it. Both to cost of return post costs and the longer that usual delivery time.
Please note I was not after a Freebie Key OK.
Other hams who visit my shack do see the lovely key and ask what its like. However in the first instance I am more likely to say look at the poor machining on the sides. Rather than OH its GREAT. It is GREAT to use. NO DOUBTING that at all. But I wish the machining was not as visible.
I did not make any remarks to Eham at the time as I thought maybe this was the actual quality of the machining and I was being to fussy. But it seems not.
I use it every day. But my eyes are draw to these damn maching marks.
My 20 year used Vibroplex Chrome deluxe paddle has no marks anywhere on it from machining. Ah Well.
de Johnny G3LIV

NN4E Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2007 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Superb, unmatched quality and service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a few of Begali's keys - Mono, Professional and a Signature. The quality of the Simplex Mono is no different from than the quality on the "big brothers" - Signature and Professional. Every aspect of the key is superb - from the finish to the adjustments! The action is silky smooth - not as good as on the magnetic return paddles but as good as it gets with springs!! I love the aluminum finger pieces!!!
Dealing with Pietro and his daughter Bruna has been excellent! I met Pietro at Dayton and he is a really nice down-to-earth guy! He even offered me as a gift a whole stack of Begali Keys QSL cards! This is an A+ company! I have invested over a $1k in Begali keys and I would buy other models when possible! Next on my shopping list is the Sculpture and Traveler!
I canít believe that people assume that they are entitled to a "freebie" because of a defective item. Most manufacturers wonít even pay for the return shipping! It's up to Pietro to decide where his keys should be returned and how a problem should be solved!!! It is just plain rude to expect/demand a "freebie" and an expensive one too and to tell mfr how he should handle his problems, after he already offered a perfectly reasonable solution!! Pietro's quality control is excellent from what I've seen but no quality control system is perfect!!! A defect in the plating on the underside could slip, but assuming that the defect would extend with time is a pure speculation!
I see no problems with the palladium and gold on my keys and it is not coming off!
Simply put - Pietro's keys are the best out there!