Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Begali Simplex Mono Help

Reviews Summary for Begali Simplex Mono
Begali Simplex Mono Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $165.00
Description: Single lever key with a novel segmented lever, gold or palladium plated base.
More info: http://www.i2rtf.com

You can write your own review of the Begali Simplex Mono.

K0RS Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2010 01:54 Send this review to a friend
Looks Good...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I guess along with K6LQ, I have to be the party pooper here. The Simplex Mono sure looks the business alright. In fact mine is exactly as the picture here shows, palladium base with anodized red aluminum fingerpieces, it could be a Ferrari on my desk. It also has optional gold contacts. Unfortunately, the performance is more Fiat than Ferrari. Like K6LQ I like close contact spacing, on the order of .2 mm, and a light return spring to boot. Begali sends along a .3 mm feeler gauge wtih which to adjust the points, and with good reason. Set them any closer than .3 mm and you'll find yourself inserting unwanted dits and dahs. K6LQ gives a rather technical explanation for why he feels this is the case, and I'll take his word for it. What I know is that I have to set my contact spacing larger than I am comfortable with in order to keep my sending clean. Interesting that my ancient, pedestrian Vibroplex Vibrokeyer actually handles close contact spacings better. Not only that but the Vibro falls to hand more comfortably. The height above the desk and the feel of the fingerpieces are ergonomically correct for my hand. I guess a hundred years of experience is worth somethng! I wouldn't be disuaded from trying another Begali model however. The HST, while an ugly bugger, looks interesting.

N6IB Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2009 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Superb paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I operate CW only and been doing so on and off since 1957 using a variety of paddles and straight keys. However, until very recently I've never used a high end key. I hooked up my brand new Begali Simplex Mono just a few days ago and I can not say enough about what a great paddle this is. It is both a joy to use and beautiful to look at. It really shines at speeds of 30wpm and up. And as noted many times before the service is excellent.

Note that the current U.S. price is now about $250 but regardless of the increased cost it is worth every penny.

Ron, W6UDX (ex-N6IB)

PA0KVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2009 05:56 Send this review to a friend
A very good key  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Begali Simplex Mono is a nice piece of craftsmanship.
I ordered the key with palladium finish, which in my opinion looks great.
It comes a few days after I ordered it, very well packaged.
I always knew the status of my order, thanks to Pieroís daughter Bruna.
The key feels pretty when adjusted the right way.
It took me some time to find the right adjustment for the contact spacing and the backlash.
The only minor drawback is the dust cap; it is made of very thin material.
I also own an Iambic key, of another brand, but I never felt comfortable with it.
With the monokey my mistakes are less en it feels better.

Koen, PA0KVA

N0CU Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2009 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful and well built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a new SIMPLEX MONO from the Piero Begali website. Even though purchasing via the website is a simple and straight forward process, I still managed to make an error on my order. Bruna (Pieroís daughter) could not have been more helpful in getting it right for me. She will do whatever it takes to insure customer satisfaction and is a pleasure to work with. My key arrived in only 3 weeks even though it was shipped during the week of Christmas. The key is truly a work of art and exceeds all of my expectations. Since I am transitioning from a 40 year old straight key, I canít give a comparison to any other similar products. I am, however, totally satisfied with the way it performs. I agree with comments about the dust cover- it needs to be made from a thicker plastic.
Bill N0CU

K6GAK Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2008 11:13 Send this review to a friend
When only the best will do  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Simplex Mono arrived six days after my online order and I am delighted with it. It's like having a work of art on my operating desk, but most importantly, it performs like no key that I have ever used before. Throughout the course of a year, I order many things online, both from eBay and commercial vendors. The customer service that I received from Ulrich (US representative) and Bruna is easily the best I have ever experienced. It was truly a pleasure doing business with these fine people.

One suggtestion -- the plastic dust cover included with the paddle, while adequate, is rather light duty. A more substantial version which could be ordered separately, such as the one sold by Vibroplex for about $30 US, would be a welcome addition to the Bengali line.

Thank you Piero and Bruna for providing this wonderful product!

VE7CTF Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 15:37 Send this review to a friend
TOP QUALITY KEY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for a high quality key, then I can guarantee that you will be happy with this one.

I had a slight problem (not their fault), and Peiro and Bruna were very professional about it.
Bruna immediately e-mailed me back and even offered to replace the key with a new one if I wasn't happy with the one I had. With their assistance I was able to solve the problem. No
one else is going to give you that kind of service and back-up their product like they do.

I could go and and on about the workmanship and
quality of this key, but I would only be repeating what has already been said in this forum.

I can only say that I love this key!

N9ZI Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2007 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great Paddle - I have been playing around with a few other paddles & can tell you that this is one great paddle for sending cw. The looks & feel are just superb!!

The Bencher, Vibroplex, Kent, none come even close to the Begali in my judgement.

Thanks for such a nice built & functional paddle.

KD7AK Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2007 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Mechanically and aesthetically superb!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Begali Simplex Mono Begali key arrived in the mail from Italy a few short days after I ordered it. It is absolutely splendid - both aesthetically and mechanically. A fine piece of craftsmanship, and it is, hands down, the finest key I have ever used -it felt like an old friend from the very first touch. And the careful and thoughtful packaging was artful and so effective that no amount of postal mishandling, no matter how severe, could have possibly damaged the shipment. I am using the key with an MFJ-407D electronic keyer, and the system could not be any nicer. What a joy to use! Thanks so much to the Begalis for this splendid example of fine Italian engineering, art, and craftsmanship, as well as for their prompt,impeccable, personable service. It was a distinct pleasure dealing with the Begalis, and I look forward to more in the future. Thanks, Bruna & Piero!
Dick Schaus, KD7AK, Kalispell, Montana

9V1VV Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2007 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the key by Paypal and it arrived three weeks later in Singapore very well packaged. Ms Bruna Begali acknowledged the order and sent the tracking details very promptly.

It is an attractive example of quality workmanship not often found in today's world of mass-production and built-in obsolescence. Mine came with a spare set of short blue aluminium paddles which feel perfect. After adjustment, which is very simple, the key felt comfortable within minutes, as if I had been using it for years. In fact it becomes almost transparent so you don't really notice it when sending, and CW becomes a natural rhythmic extension of mind and fist, the way a good key should feel. I have a collection of all sorts of keys from Amplidan and GHD straight keys to Kent iambic paddles, but at the moment this one feels best.

My only small grumble is that the screws supplied for the spare paddles are too long by about 1mm. The spare paddles are thinner than the original plastic ones, so the screws on opposite sides meet together before they can be fully tightened. I was lucky enough to have some short chrome screws in the shack to replace them. Using washers or trying to file down the screws is a bit messy.

For those who prefer bug-style sending to iambic, this is the ultimate key if you connect it to an electronic bug-capable keyer like the Norcal QRP-er or similar. You won't be disappointed.

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2007 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently tried the Simplex Mono and although I prefer an iambic style paddle, I also enjoy using a single-lever key at times.

Fit, finish, and operation is equal to my oher Begali keys. I particularly like the palladium base. This one's a winner for me.