Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Arrow Antenna 146-4S 4 Element 2 meter Permanent Mount Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow Antenna 146-4S 4 Element 2 meter Permanent Mount Yagi
Arrow Antenna 146-4S  4 Element 2 meter Permanent Mount Yagi Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $80.
Description: Elements: 1/4" Solid Aluminum, Direct Feed In Line Gamma Match, SO-239 Connector, Stainless Steel Mounting Hardware. 9.68 dBi gain. Optional mounting bracket - end or center, vertical or horizontal.
More info: http://www.arrowantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Arrow Antenna 146-4S 4 Element 2 meter Permanent Mount Yagi.

N1IVY Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2013 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Ruggedly built  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was impressed by the quality when I fist opened the box. Arrow has taken a proven design and quality craftsmanship.

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2012 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Great gain!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this antenna almost 3 years now and it looks as new as it did when I first put it up. I used it in an apartment on a mic stand and could hit repeaters from indoors my mobile could not. It is now going into service above my 6 meter 4 element moxon antenna. I wish all beams were this tough. At this price, a four element is a four element. Forget the name, and save the money. It will perform and it is tougher than the big name brands.

VE7IBP Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 21:55 Send this review to a friend
outstanding antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine up today after receiving it this afternoon. Assemby was very easy and after hooking it up the Swr reading was so low I thought my meter was to blame as well! First contact with repeater 40 miles away on 10 watts sure made me feel good. Don't be afraid to buy this quality product. I mounted mine end fed with only 3 elements because of tightness of space on a mast on my patio.

KF7OCD Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2011 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Great after getting the SWR down...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine and for some reason over 60 watts of power the SWR was crazy high at 146 MHZ. However after fooling around with the matching system I got it pretty much near perfect. I can talk simplex over 100 miles away (I am on a HIGH hill however. I think the gain on this antenna is higher then advertised, not a bad thing though. It is a VERY well build antenna and I am sure I will get lots of use out of it. =]

KB4OIF Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2010 02:47 Send this review to a friend
outstanding antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I finally have mine in the air after a bad piece of NEW coax was found to be the culprit for high SWR. Can't climb anymore so I had to wait for help. Back to the antenna. I have it a 42 feet. I can consistantly hit repeaters more than 50 mile away. Construction is like a tank. Easy to assemble. Product support, i.e. emails from arrow answered my many questions was outstanding. will I purchased from them again. The answer is a definate YES. Good value for the money spend. Bar None.

KD0CII Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2010 13:31 Send this review to a friend
end mount this antenna on a metal mast.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had the antenna center mounted and I could not get the SWR where I wanted it. I moved the antenna to end mount on my metal antenna mast and I had to double check my SWR meter it was so low; I thought it was broken. This antenna works great, I use it to hit a repeater 45 miles away in fairly hilly country.

N6DZR Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2010 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the antenna on a Sunday and received it on Friday (shipped from WY to CA). As mentioned in a previous review, the antenna was shipping in a cardboard tube which was inside a box. Even UPS couldn't damage it. My only complaint about the packaging is the antenna must have been stored in a smoking environment as the bag stunk of cigarette smoke. But once I got rid of the bag and boxes, the smell was gone. The cost was $59 (SO-239 connector) plus $15 shipping. A very reasonable cost from my perspective. Could I build it myself for less? Sure. Could I build one myself with the same quality and precision for the same cost? Probably not (given my available time and patience :-).

Assembly was easy and took about 15-20 minutes on the kitchen counter. The only tool needed for the antenna itself is a small phillips screw driver. The mounting bracket requires a wrench. The included mounting bracket can be center or end mounted.

Tuning was relatively easy, but I wish the instructions gave more detail. They essentially say: adjust the shorting bar and aluminum tube to get the best SWR. I first followed their advice and checked the SWR of the coax connected to a dummy load and found the patch cable I was going to use gave a reading of 1.2:1 on my MFJ antenna analyzer. This coax was 1.1 in the HF range, but around 100 MHz it went up to 1.2. I dug around the junk boxes to find a replacement and the best one I had was fluctuating between 1.1 and 1.2 at about 146 MHz. Since the coax was not 100% reliable, I did not spend a lot of time fiddling for the best tuning. After a few minutes I was around 1.3-1.4 SWR and called it good for now.

Initial testing was done by attaching the mounting bracket to a 5-foot scrap piece of PVC pipe, hooking the coax to my HT, and standing in the front yard. With the HT on low power (1 watt) I was able to easily work a repeater 55 miles away and clear and readable simplex at 30 miles. I aimed the antenna for the strongest signal received on the HT, so that's just a close approximation. Better tuning, better coax, and better aiming may improve the performance.

Overall I am very satisfied with the quality, performance, and cost of this antenna.

N0HHS Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2009 12:03 Send this review to a friend
nice product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nicely engineered and built. Comes in rock-solid shipping tube inside a box, so no UPS-generated bending of elements. All aluminum with stainless steel hardware. A very good value for the money.

VE3HHT Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2009 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent after re-tuning  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my yagi lightly used, but the SWR was high at 144.2 MHz. Like other reviewers, I found that the SWR improved when the gamma match tube was pushed into the grommet. This implied that more capacitance was required in the match.

I brought the SWR down to 1.1 by lengthening the centre conductor of the gamma match experimentally by soldering a length of bare #14 house wire to the end. To match the antenna at 144.2 MHz, I added just over 2 inches. For a permanent solution, I stretched some #12 bare copper house wire, bent it to match the original, soldered it into the SO-239, and cut it for a horizontal length of just over 7 inches. Shorter pieces may work better (especially for FM use) but I stopped there.

I only use the yagi for portable operation, but it is rugged and performs well.

AB2WK Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2008 06:38 Send this review to a friend
A+++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna over a month ago after using an arrow J-pole. The difference is amazing. Initially it was only 15 ft high and I was hitting repeaters I could hardly hear with a j-pole.It is now 40 ft high and I'm hitting repeaters I never knew existed. It is built like a tank and easy to assemble. If your looking for a 2 meter beam you won't be dissapointed and at this price you can't beat it!