Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K40 CW Keyboard Kit Help

Reviews Summary for K40 CW Keyboard Kit
K40 CW Keyboard Kit Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $32.00
Description: The K40 is a small low power PIC based CW keyboard that is packed with features and is inexpensive.
More info: http://www.k1el.com/

You can write your own review of the K40 CW Keyboard Kit.

PE1NPG Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2006 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Very nice Features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the kit last week. The PICS where both the same, both where the keyer chip, no console PIC. After an email Al send me a console PIC promtly. Kit was assembled in one hour, good manual with tips for soldering. LCD Connected (pin 15 and 16 have to be exchanged in the diagram!) All worked fine at first time power up.
This little thing is packed with features. Maybe I will purchase the RTTY kit to, normally I only do CW and PSK31.
Good quality kit, would recommend to anyone!
73 de Jean-Pierre PE1NPG

N4QA Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2006 14:43 Send this review to a friend
As mentioned, not just for CW anymore...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The K40 is a great, smooth CW keyboarding system.
But where it really shines, IMO, is using the thing as a RTTY terminal unit when it's outfitted with Steve's K40FILT board etc.
I've used it for AFSK transmit with the Icom IC-703 set for 5 Watts out and have worked a bunch of DX and stateside stns that way.

But my biggest thrills came from using the K40 in FSK RTTY transmit mode, driving the new NorCal FCC-2 DDS vfo barefoot at ten milliwatts output to the end-fed 80m-long wire via the AH-4 remote autotuner.
My best QRPpp RTTY this way, so far has been Martinique (a possession of France) which is 1914 miles from my QTH in sw VA for a 191,400 miles per Watt reception on the part of Frantz, FM5AA.

Second place goes to Dwayne, KD4POJ in Minot, North Dakota...1295 miles for 129,500 miles per Watt.

Steve's K40RTTY outfit does a superb job of decoding even very weak RTTY signals. I'm absolutely ecstatic over its performance.

I also enjoy its tremendous capability as a CW keyboarding system *and* as an iambic keyer using external paddles!

ATTABOY, STEVE!

KV9R Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2006 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Super Kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Several months ago I was searching for a keyer
for my Mizuho MX-14S QRP SSB/CW XCVR, I needed a
keyer that had a seperate PTT and KEY controls
with the PTT able to assert pre and post of the
KEY data being sent. I also wanted a keyer with monitoring capability.
I found what I was looking for with the K1EL K40
Keyer. It was simple to build and with the enclosure it looks great. I recently purchased
the RTTY option and got it working yesterday and
made several contacts using a QRP rig.
This puts even more fun into QRP.

WE9M Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2006 01:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit for the Money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was able to build this kit in a matter of hours. I have used it with great satisfaction. I also purchased the LCD and the Enclosure and this thing looks like a factory assembled keyer. It works well with a keyboard or whatever paddles you may have. All the programming is done via a keyboard and the LCD lets you see what you are inputting. I hope to have many years pleasur with it. The K-40 only works with rigs using positive keying so I purchased a Jackson Harbor Keyall Keying Adapter Kit and the K-40 now works with my TS-830. You can read my review on the Keyall if you wish. All in all the K-40 seems to be well worth the price.

N1IV Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2006 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Yep!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The kit arrived on Tuesday afternoon and it was built and tested that evening. Not a single glitch... everything as advertised and well thought out.

I also purchased the K40FILT RTTY option... I had that done and tested the next evening. That is actually what I had in mind... I've wanted to do regular FSK RTTY for a while.

Nice kits... quality parts and very good instructions.

W3PH Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2006 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Easy kit, great keyer, great box  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Good instructions, small enough parts count that it doesn't get tedious, and a good circuit board. My eyes are going south so I don't work so quickly, but the K40 is still a one-evening kit even for me.

Super functionality - there's a PTT output that you can use to key the relays in your older (SB-2xx , etc.) amp with a delay that you can set so as to do non-QSK CW smoothly and not worry about hot-switching the amp. I set a 20 ms delay to let the SB-220 relay kick in, and I can't feel it while sending - this setup works very well.

Both keyboard & paddles are active and you can move back and forth at will.

The available enclosure adds a lot of value - it's well-designed and presents the LCD display at an angle that makes it easy to see (and the docs explain how to enable the backlight, which also helps).

Love it - I've built two so far.

W3DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2006 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Great keyer, keyboard, RTTY controller  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When the K40 came out, I gave it a 5-rating review because it was a really fantastic keyer/keyboard kit (please see my earlier review.)

But K1EL has now come out with the add on RTTY controller board. It's a very simple one evening kit, which fits right inside the K40 enclosure.

The kit went together effortlessly, and enabled me to get on RTTY for the first time (even though I've been licensed for 33 years). It's a standalone device, so you don't need a TNC or computer. Just provide 12 volts and cables to your transceiver and away you go. The K40 has a bank of LED's to enable you to properly tune in RTTY stations.

How does it work? Well, I worked 25 countries in my first weekend on 20 and 17 meters, running only 50 watts into a Yagi.

The RTTY kit makes a great kit even better.

W1ITT Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2006 19:45 Send this review to a friend
The cat's meow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are plenty of ways to use a computer to send CW, but I wanted a stand-alone CW keyboard that would key the rig directly and not leave me with too many windows open on the PC when I'm using it for other things. The kit came in the mail, just after lunch and I had it running by suppertime, no glitches, just power up and go. Then enclosure is more than just a box. It has integral standoffs for the board and all the holes are well punched and deburred. Unless you are integrating this into some other unit, buy the box and end up with a nice looking piece of gear. The manual is online for anyone to peruse, and from reading it, it's obvious that there are more available features than most stations will ever use, but the capabilites are there if you want them. The K-40 kit makes a nicely executed piece of equipment at a decent price.

W5GW Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2006 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After building it in a morning, it was operational by mid afternoon (I had to fabricate a couple of cables and have lunch!). Very good value. PCB and parts were of high quality. Instructions were ok, but required some careful reading in places. Display contrast pot can be installed two ways, I determined orientation from the schematic. A bit of clarification here would have helped. Use on the air is very good. I especially like the fact that I can leave my paddle hooked up to the K40 and transition from KB to paddles on the fly.

W3DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2006 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just put together a K40 keyboard kit. It's a very easy (beginner level) kit that can be built in a single evening. I purchased the LCD and the case kit, which are pretty inexpensive. They give the kit a professional and finished look, and I highly recommend them. The K40 combines a tremendous amount of CW functionality, and is one of the great bargains that you can find in ham radio.

I understand that K1EL will be introducing a RTTY board soon that fits inside the K40 case. Can't wait to get mine.

Rob, W3DX