Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K40 CW Keyboard Kit Help

Reviews Summary for K40 CW Keyboard Kit
K40 CW Keyboard Kit Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $32.00
Description: The K40 is a small low power PIC based CW keyboard that is packed with features and is inexpensive.
More info: http://www.k1el.com/

You can write your own review of the K40 CW Keyboard Kit.

G6CNQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2005 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great for portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having been very impressed with my Winkeyer I decided to purchase the K40 keyboard kit complete with LCD display for portable use.

The kit went together easily but I had a little trouble getting the Digital display to light but a quick email to K1EL solved the problem, I had miss read the instructions!

I use my K40 when opperating from my motorhome (RV)using a PP3 nine volt battery and it runs forever.

Great product, good value and terriffic backup from K1EL

N6VCW Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2005 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Extremely pleased!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The kit was extremely easy to build. A few points in the online assembly instructions were missing/wrong, but with common sense it's a no-brainer.

I replaced a cheap, reflective display with an EDT EW162C1YMY LCD display from All Electronics for $10.25 and now the characters looks really nice and can be easily seen from almost any angle. The backlight also helps! The cheap LCD I first used looked terrible! A heatsink is necessary on the regulator using this display and an average keyboard, but heatsinks cost just pennies.

A very thoughtful job of programming was done by the manufacturer. I wish I could edit memories rather than re-typing them, but why complain about typing just a few sentences? In all, I'm extremely pleased.

Sending CW is now virtually effortless with this kit. It's time to pack up my iambic paddle, I guess. Time marches on...

KW4N Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2005 15:08 Send this review to a friend
None Better!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A six year old can put it together. Documentation is excellent. You can even buy a 2x16 display from him. A box is coming shortly. Has an excellent Echo CW trainer. Yahoo Group is responsive and supplies good info. You can tweak this thing to your hearts content or just leave it to all the default settings.
73's
Dave, KW4N

KB3I Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2005 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent features and performance for the money.
Ordering the kit was a breeze, as was putting it together. Clearly, a lot of 'ham-oriented' thought went into the built in programming.
I was amazed at the versatility and ease of use.
Great job! Highly recommended!

Ira KB3I

W5LL Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2005 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The K40 is worth every penny. Easy to build even for a novice with the soldering iron such as myself. Keyer will run off a 9v battery which makes it very portable. The only negative if there is one is that there isn't a inclosure for it. You have to goto radio shack and get one or do what I did and take the keyboard apart and fit the keyer inside the keyboard. All in all a great product.

NS1Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2005 13:10 Send this review to a friend
As always, WORTH IT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Steve has been pounding these keyer kits out for a number of years now. While I consider my self to be really poor at CW I do enjoy assembling the kits. I started with the simple CW memory keyer of his and I was hooked! Instructions are always clear, concise and reference diagrams are just great.
The K40 is the latest kit of his that I have built. Each step was clearly described and I had no problems with it. Power up was exactly as described and programming was just as easy. He takes pains to alert the builder of potential problems and points out what to look for. Really quite difficult to have a problem with any of his kits.
I expect to use mine for V/UHF calling. I may even get into a little contesting with it since it has the incrementing serial number included. There is a lot more functionality in the kit than I will likely use but it should meet the needs of real CW operators quite well.
Steve is a nice guy and he produces great kits priced well within any Amateurs budget.