Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ 844 V/UHF SWR meter Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 844 V/UHF SWR meter
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 1.3/5 MSRP: $~60
Description: Compact Dual Band 144/440 SWR/Wattmeter

You can write your own review of the MFJ 844 V/UHF SWR meter.

KB3LNM Rating: 0/5 Sep 28, 2008 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't work  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The meter was purchased in winter 2007 seems to read power accurately, but SWR does not work. My meter reads 1.2:1 for any type of load.

I removed the back cover and looked at the construction. There is a variable resistor (VR1) soldered down that appear to be shorting out the coupler tracks on the board. Some of the solder joints look questionable.

N6YB Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2005 11:56 Send this review to a friend
problems solved  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Evidently the product defects described above have been fixed. I compared mine to a CE certified commercial meter and the MFJ read 10% high which is good enough for ham use. The SWR graph is only calibrated for full scale deflection on the forward power. This is no real problem as the reverse direction indicates twice the power (on the forward power scale) as is really being reflected. So just halve the reverse power reading as read on the forward scale and divide by the forward power. This will give you the return loss. Then remember the following: 25% return is 3:1 SWR, 10% return is 2:1 SWR, and 3% is about 1.4:1 SWR.

K5DVW Rating: 0/5 Apr 7, 2005 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Never got one which worked  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered one of these new from one of the large ham outlets. When I got it, it didnt work. I couldnt get the meter to deflect into any load. I even built up some special 50 Watt 2:1 and 3:1 resistive loads which I measured on an HP vector network analyzer. MFJ meter showed nothing still.

So, I sent it back and got a second one. Same thing, it didnt work. I called MFJ directly and sent it to them and they sent me another one. It didnt work either. I sent it back for a refund after having to pay shipping 3 times.

But, get this, I borrowed one from a friend who used his for a VHF antenna install. He said his antenna was perfectly matched, 1:1 SWR! I checked his meter and it was broken too in the same way! I guess no meter deflection at all looks kind of like a 1:1 VSWR.

Amazing! Four different units with the same problem out of the box.