Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB11-5 (high performance 11el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10 Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB11-5 (high performance 11el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10
OptiBeam OB11-5 (high performance 11el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10 Reviews: 32 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2028 USD
Description: Performant Yagi designed as interlaced monobanders for 20/15/10m plus high efficient "hidden sleeve element technique" for 17/12m.
Loss free broad band OptiBeam driver feed system reqires only one single 50 Ohm coax.
Optimized computer designed German Yagi without traps and with full size elements. High gain and f/b ratio on all bands.
The OB11-5 has 3 el on 20, 3 el on 17, 3el wide spaced on 15, 3el wide spaced on 12 and 5 el on 10 meters on a 6.00 meter boom.
No switching, no tuning, no flexible parts, an absolute trouble free performer !
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB11-5 (high performance 11el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10.

F4HJO Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2017 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used an OB9-5 which is already a superb antenna, but as often we are always looking better! I use for 1 year the OB11-5, I find more directivity, better performance, I am satisfied.
3 meters above the OB11-5 I have an OB4030, no coupling, thank you Thomas for serious advice.
Optibeam is always:
- serious and fast work.
- quality materials and machining.
- intuitive mounting.
- no lies: good swr on all bands

F1RAF Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2017 05:30 Send this review to a friend
A real master piece  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the OB11-5 for 12 months now, and all I can say is that this antenna is the best one I ever owned. I got in contact with Tom, DF2BO in early december 2015 and placed an order with him. Communication with Tom is always prompt and excellent (I already ordered him in the past an OB9-5 for my other station). The antenna arrived at my home safely on the very day (on a saturday) it was scheduled. I started the assembly 2 months later since my 18 m crank up and tilt over tower was not yet ready. It was not an easy task to assembly the OB11-5 because of so many parts, but it is almost impossible to get wrong since everything is well explained in the manual (but you have to read it several times). Since I could not find any helpers, after asking Tom, I built it in 3 separated parts and raised them up together by my own on the tilted mast. No need to tune anything, SWR is low and flat all over the bands. My former antenna was a 6 bander Mosley with traps. Though it gave me some nice results for years, sure I can now say the OB11-5 over performs it. Only one, sometimes two calls to break the pileup.

IZ2DLV Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2016 03:18 Send this review to a friend
Serious and top performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The OB 11-5 is my last system upgrading, that finally was mounted 10 days ago. My QTH is in a 6 floor condo, I was looking for a final antenna solution and Tom assisted me in finding the right one (is the lower one under an OB 30-40). The mounting part takes time and attention, but the pre assembled and marked elements makes it easy. Only be careful on mounting all the element straight. Once up, is a dream come true: I believe this is the top end of what you can put on a condo!
Performance: well, I was coming from an X7 and a A3WS, but the strength of the signals coming in now are another story. Also SWR is perfect, and I ran barefoot on most DX on air these days. If you have the space, the right structure and the budget, well this is the arriving point!

SM5ATP Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2016 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yesterday, June 24th 2016, my Optibeam 11-5 celebrated 3 years at my qth 25 m up on a steel mast. It has been brought down once, due to malfunctioning rotator last year(HAM-IV). I took this opportunity to inspect all elements and hardware.
Everything was in perfect condition.
It has been working perfectly since day one.
Truly an amazing construction. What I hear I can work on 100 W.
I have recommended it before, and I do so agin.
BCNU 73 de Conny SM5ATP

SM5ATP Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2014 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Top Gun - in all aspects !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ref my review nov 19 last year:
I have now run this outstanding 11-5 for 18 months. Overwhelming performance. Time-to-time rough weather hasn't changed the performance at all. The SWR is the same as when I first raised it.
In one word: RECOMMENDED !
Conny / SM5ATP

AB1KC Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna, excellent support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is one of the pleasant exceptions you find in life where everything promised in ad copy is born out in reality. It is on the complex side mechanically but the build quality is very good. Having earned my living for many years as a European auto mechanic I instantly recognized the very German nature of the design and it is very nice. The antenna performs well on its designed bands with low swr and with good signal reports received. It is very nice to simply point the antenna and transmit!
Perhaps the best part of the experience for me was the support offered by the manufacturer when I needed a couple of parts. Although the antenna was well out of warranty, the parts requested were shipped instantly and at no cost to me. No questions asked! E-mails are answered by Tom the owner of Optibeam quickly every time too. Optibeam is a very nice company to deal with.
If I were to criticize anything at all it would be the manual supplied with the antenna. I have no idea why antenna manufacturers have such difficulty writing manuals but I have yet to find one that I consider good.
Do not hesitate to purchase this antenna if you are looking for an excellent, 5 band, 10m to 20m antenna.

NE4CW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2014 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Great performer / good looks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took my time with assembly of this antenna over several days, but all in all probably around 8 hours to get it together. Its a fairly large antenna with lots of parts but as stated in other reviews, all parts are marked and the boom is marked with exact element placement so assembly is not difficult. The manual is straight-forward but at times the German to English translation is a bit confusing. But Tom always quickly answered my emails and cleared things up for me.
Performance so far is great and swr curves exactly as described. Mine is at 72 feet..
This thing looks great up in the air, when the sun shines on it you can see it from a loooong way off...lol...great looking antenna!

WF2S Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Top Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my 2009 review.. A squared U-Bolt had a cracked Ny-Loc nut allowing it to loosen. It was a quick fix and DF6BO sent several replacement U Bolts immediately. That was 2 years ago.. Presently we are having winds >35 MPH and higher gusts. The antenna has been packed in ice several times. NO DAMAGES. If I hear DX, the odds are good it will end up in my log in short order.
The time and attention to careful assembly has give me a worry free antenna. I can not say the same about several other Yagi manufacturer's products that I have taken off my tower in various states of failure.

K4NNL Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the OB11-5 at 19.5 meters and an OB1-40 3 meters above that. All I can say is this is a great antenna as most of the calls I have made have been answered on the first or second call even on pileups with only 75 watts output from the transceiver. Having all the parts marked makes putting the antenna together a breeze. Thanks Tom for a great antenna and for all the support that you provided along the way.

MJ0ULE Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2014 01:05 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding performance and technical support.!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
We purchased an OB11-5 in late 2012 for the Jersey ARS.
Given our location on top of an exposed headland on the S/W corner of the island the build quality has been tested to the limit. Especially during the recent storms where the wind gusts reached 80 knots.! See link for short video taken day after the storm when the winds were still gusting 50 or 60 knots !
The only casualty was a small C clamp which Tom DF2BO very kindly has replaced immediately along with a strengthened upper wire rope clamp for the boom. Tom responded immediately to emails and has shown outstanding commitment to supporting his product and customers. Assembly was straightforward and performance was as expected. This is a 'beast' of an antenna with performance to match. Full marks to Optibeam for a first class product and grateful thanks from all at Jersey ARS. 73, Steve MJ0ULE.