Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB11-5 (high performance 11el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10 Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB11-5 (high performance 11el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10
OptiBeam OB11-5 (high performance 11el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,750
Description: Performant Yagi designed as interlaced monobanders for 20/15/10m plus high efficient "hidden sleeve element technique" for 17/12m.
Loss free broad band OptiBeam driver feed system reqires only one single 50 Ohm coax.
Optimized computer designed German Yagi without traps and with full size elements. High gain and f/b ratio on all bands.
The OB11-5 has 3 el on 20, 3 el on 17, 3el wide spaced on 15, 3el wide spaced on 12 and 5 el on 10 meters on a 6.00 meter boom.
No switching, no tuning, no flexible parts, an absolute trouble free performer !
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB11-5 (high performance 11el fivebander 20-17-15-12-10.

AB1KC Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna, excellent support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is one of the pleasant exceptions you find in life where everything promised in ad copy is born out in reality. It is on the complex side mechanically but the build quality is very good. Having earned my living for many years as a European auto mechanic I instantly recognized the very German nature of the design and it is very nice. The antenna performs well on its designed bands with low swr and with good signal reports received. It is very nice to simply point the antenna and transmit!
Perhaps the best part of the experience for me was the support offered by the manufacturer when I needed a couple of parts. Although the antenna was well out of warranty, the parts requested were shipped instantly and at no cost to me. No questions asked! E-mails are answered by Tom the owner of Optibeam quickly every time too. Optibeam is a very nice company to deal with.
If I were to criticize anything at all it would be the manual supplied with the antenna. I have no idea why antenna manufacturers have such difficulty writing manuals but I have yet to find one that I consider good.
Do not hesitate to purchase this antenna if you are looking for an excellent, 5 band, 10m to 20m antenna.

AI4U Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2014 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Great performer / good looks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took my time with assembly of this antenna over several days, but all in all probably around 8 hours to get it together. Its a fairly large antenna with lots of parts but as stated in other reviews, all parts are marked and the boom is marked with exact element placement so assembly is not difficult. The manual is straight-forward but at times the German to English translation is a bit confusing. But Tom always quickly answered my emails and cleared things up for me.
Performance so far is great and swr curves exactly as described. Mine is at 72 feet..
This thing looks great up in the air, when the sun shines on it you can see it from a loooong way off...lol...great looking antenna!

WF2S Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Top Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my 2009 review.. A squared U-Bolt had a cracked Ny-Loc nut allowing it to loosen. It was a quick fix and DF6BO sent several replacement U Bolts immediately. That was 2 years ago.. Presently we are having winds >35 MPH and higher gusts. The antenna has been packed in ice several times. NO DAMAGES. If I hear DX, the odds are good it will end up in my log in short order.
The time and attention to careful assembly has give me a worry free antenna. I can not say the same about several other Yagi manufacturer's products that I have taken off my tower in various states of failure.

K4NNL Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Perfection  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the OB11-5 at 19.5 meters and an OB1-40 3 meters above that. All I can say is this is a great antenna as most of the calls I have made have been answered on the first or second call even on pileups with only 75 watts output from the transceiver. Having all the parts marked makes putting the antenna together a breeze. Thanks Tom for a great antenna and for all the support that you provided along the way.

MJ0ULE Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2014 01:05 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding performance and technical support.!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
We purchased an OB11-5 in late 2012 for the Jersey ARS.
Given our location on top of an exposed headland on the S/W corner of the island the build quality has been tested to the limit. Especially during the recent storms where the wind gusts reached 80 knots.! See link for short video taken day after the storm when the winds were still gusting 50 or 60 knots !
The only casualty was a small C clamp which Tom DF2BO very kindly has replaced immediately along with a strengthened upper wire rope clamp for the boom. Tom responded immediately to emails and has shown outstanding commitment to supporting his product and customers. Assembly was straightforward and performance was as expected. This is a 'beast' of an antenna with performance to match. Full marks to Optibeam for a first class product and grateful thanks from all at Jersey ARS. 73, Steve MJ0ULE.

G0TKJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2013 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Best Yagi I have owned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well what can I say just a superb antenna, very well built and very easy to put together. I have had the antenna built and running since the 12th of May and have never been so pleased. I decided to get the OptiBeam from Tom DF2BO for the simple reason of mechanical ruggedness as I didn't want stepper motors going down on me. The antenna is a real gem to put together with all of the guess work taken out of the install because all the elements are together and taped in one part so you have the right tubes for the right part and all the elements are labeled and the boom and the boom to element mounting plates are also labled so no guess work and no need to get the tape measure out either. Just a great bit of kit to go with the station.

Thanks Tom DF2BO

73's Terry G0TKJ

SM5ATP Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Perfect - All I need  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Operating an Optibeam 11-5 for 6 months, during various rough wx and conds. It replaced my earlier tribander (10-15-20), 25 m up on a steelmast. As I almost entirely run cw, I lengthend the elements as per recommendation in the manual. SWR never exceeding 1,5 in my favourite segments of any band.
My report: Outstanding ! It has fulfilled and often exceeded my expectations, mechanically as well as in radiating performance.
I sincerely recommend it.

Conny / SM5ATP

F8PDR Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2012 13:30 Send this review to a friend
So good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A very good antenna that gives us a remarkable Recption, very simple to assemble because all the elements are reported. It is a pleasure to do radio with this type of antenna. Thank you to Tom and his team

LA9DFA Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2011 04:48 Send this review to a friend
All over excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the OB11-5 for 3 months now, and all I can say is that this antenna is an excellent performer. I got in contact with Tom, DF2BO early this summer and placed an order with him. The antenna arrived safely here and I did start the assembly short after. At the same time I had my tower project going on, so the antenna was finished in good time before the tower was up. It was an easy task to assembly the OB11-5. I used to days. Much longer than others I suppose, but I wanted it to be perfect. And it did get perfect!! Everything fitted nice together and all the pieces was clean and accurate produced. Well marked so assembly was really easy. Really German quality. Rock solid!!
At the 10th of September I had some friends over to help me, and we raised the tower up and put the OB11-5 up. Itís placed 18m over the ground. Itís doing great up there. SWR is low and flat all over the bands. No problem what so ever.
By now I am very spoiled working the pileups. It takes me one, sometimes two calls to break the pileup. If it takes three attempts, I often check the antenna switch or other things to see if Iím transmitting on the wrong antennaÖ.hihi. So working DX has become easy! Iím so spoiled with this antenna. Really looking forward to 2012 and some big DXpeds to see how it performs when I must break trough huge pileups to very rare countries! Guess it will be easy!
I found myself breaking true huge pileups with a lot of hams more southern in Europe, with much better propagations than us up in north.
I only have nice things to say about Optibeam so far. Excellent service all the way by Tom, and nice communication too. I surely will go for another Optibeam antenna when the time comes.
If you consider buying a new antenna, buy Optibeam! I promise you that you wonít be disappointed!
Looking forward to work you all on this antenna!! My signal is huge :)hihi
73ís Morten LA9DFA

W3DIY Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2011 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased an OB11-5 from a local radio club who did not own a proper tower to support this beam.
Some of the factory markings had vanished over time so I e mailed Tom for help and received a response within an hour. The antenna was out of warranty for a long time but Tom was always available to answer questions promptly.
Prior to the OB11-5 a Force 12 and Hex beam were installed on the same tower. Without question the Optibeam outperforms both and the construction quality is superior to any antenna owned in the past. If you are considering an OB11-5 buy it, you will not be disappointed.