Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | mfj-1768 Help

Reviews Summary for mfj-1768
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: 2 and 440 meter beam
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the mfj-1768.

KN4MC Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2008 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Good LITTLE antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up a little over a year ago. I have made 2 meter (SSB) contacts well over 500 miles away with only 50 watts. I made one contact on (SSB) 70cm to Canada from Western Kentucky with only 20 watts, (VE3TMG has a great station).
If you just want an antenna to get on 2m & 70cm SSB (or set it vertical for FM) and do not have a lot of room for larger antennas, this is a good antenna. I am thinking about stacking 2 of them just to see if it can be done.

KB9WSL Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2006 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I opened the box I was not sure about the antenna when I saw the feedpoint connection on a circuit board type setup. But being a new ham
in 2000 I assembled the antenna and mounted it at 66 feet on my tower. The antenna is mounted horizontally for SSB work. The antenna has performed well for me and has been exposed to Northern Indiana summers and winters for 6 years now without any problems. SWR on both bands is nearly flat in my experience. While not a contesting antenna by any means..I would recommend it to a new ham who does not have a big budget.I will eventually take this antenna down and use it for rover and portable use due to its size..(5 foot boom)

WB5MHA Rating: 2/5 Nov 27, 2005 19:13 Send this review to a friend
poor quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
"cheap" is a word that comes to mind regarding the price as well as the quality of this antenna.

Instructions are not clear. Holes and parts do not line up. Workmanship is poor. It is made just well enough to work.

In all fairness it does load up. It is directional but I doubt it's gain figures.

For a little more money you can buy a higher quality beam. Expect what you get from a product that is made in China by slave workers who really don't care.

Mine sits in the yard while my coax is put to better use.

W5RHR Rating: 2/5 Apr 11, 2005 11:09 Send this review to a friend
poor quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
very poor manufacturing and design. the parasitic elements are not in line with the driven element assembly, which is a copperclad circuit board.
the mounting holes for the matching assembly were not at a 90 degree angle to the parasitic elements, resulting in the driven elements being cocked. I had to remove the assembly and drill out the holes till I could line up the assembly.
Also MFJs method for securing the parasitic elements were to use a type of speed nut to hold the element in the boom. lines were scribed in the elements to capture the speed nuts, but the lines were scribed for a larger diameter boom.I had to manually center the elements on the boom.
In fairness, the antenna does have a low VSWR for the band it is cut for, but I have yet to make a contact with it.Purchase a Cushcraft instead, the few dollars you save on the MFJ are not worth it.