Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, duplexer, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, e | PAR Electronics, Inc BCST-HPF MW Eliminate Filter Help

Reviews Summary for PAR Electronics, Inc BCST-HPF MW Eliminate Filter
PAR Electronics, Inc BCST-HPF MW Eliminate Filter Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $67.95
Description: The BCST-HPF is a RX only 7 pole elliptic filter featuring very low loss from 1.8-->30 MHz (under 2dB worst case). Average MW loss 50dB. Features die cast enclosure, stainless hardware, gold/teflon SO-239 connectors and a bypass switch that effectively takes the filter out of line.
More info: http://parelectronics.com/swl_filters.htm

You can write your own review of the PAR Electronics, Inc BCST-HPF MW Eliminate Filter.

MBOTT Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2015 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Exactly what was needed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I noticed that I was having RFI issues with my SDRplay that I wasn't experiencing with my Icom R75. Local AM stations showing up where they should not be in the shortwave bands was my biggest complaint. Adding the PAR Electronics BCST-HPF to my set-up has removed those issues completely. Would not hesitate in recommending the HPF to anyone. Dale Parfitt makes an exceptional product.

N5ZAP Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2014 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Very happy customer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of Par Electronics AM broadcast high-pass filters in order to solve overload issues with my CommRadio CR-1. The CR-1 was suffering from broadcast overload in a bad way: I was hearing talk radio conversations on WWV at 5 and 10 MHz instead of the normal, soothing tick-tock that I expected.

The HPF arrived promptly arrived neatly packed in a small box. Fit and finish were excellent. The HPF is a small box, about the size of two packs of cigarettes machined of shiny aluminum. The model I ordered had two SO-239 connectors (Dale will ship you one with other connectors, such as BNC, if you order direct from him). There is a handy switch used to take the filter out of the circuit.

I installed the filter and tuned the CR-1 to WWL on 870 KHz, a 50 KW powerhouse that barges in on almost every other frequency I try to tune. Switching in the HPF brought the signal down from S9+50 to S9, a 50 dB improvement. Audio disappeared, as did the intermod that was making my radio unusable.

I canít recommend this filter, or Dale, highly enough. If you have broadcast interference, or own a CR-1 radio, you should visit Daleís site right away.

WE4U Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2013 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Equipment!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the BCST-LPF in a timely manner. It is the Long-wave version of the BCB filter. I enjoy DX'ing and logging Non Directional Beacons from around 130 to 530KHz.

I have two broadcast stations near me, one to the east two miles away, and one to the south that just happens to be exactly two miles away. I hear both on the same frequency and can not hear anything else!

Testing on around 180KHz in the day time it cuts them completely out, which allows the very weak NDB's to be heard.
The real improvement is at night when propagation brings the weak ones in I've been missing.
The BCST-LPF is well made and the service from Dale at Par Electronics was excellent.

Tim WE4U

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2007 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Wipes out BCB Overload  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living in the LA basin, I thought I had to accept the front end overload and interference from the numerous broadcast stations, one as close as 5 miles from my home. However, using the BCST-HPF filter that problem is a thing of the past.

I do not have the test equipment to verify the specifications of this filter, but I will say this: I chose one of the stronger stations in the LA area, and engaged the filter, (it has a convenient activate / bypass switch) it was like I had disconnected the antenna. Gone, nada, nil.

Connected in-line with my beverage system, I'll never have to worry about BCB interference on "Top Band" again.

Thanks Dale for another fine product.

BODEN Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2007 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Zap that MW interference!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After encountering occasional MW interference here in the S.W. USA, especially nighttime broadcasts from Mexican AM stations, I decided I needed a high-pass medium-wave filter for my old single-conversion Halli S-40. I thought about building one, but had no toroid forms around. Looking around, and seeing that PAR Electronics made one, I simply ordered a BCST-HPF from them, as I've had good experiences with their products and service.

The HP filter does exactly it says it will do and effectively blocks AM signals across a broad range of the SW bands. So far it's worked effectively down to about 2500 mhz, I haven't yet tested it any lower. It was especially useful on the 31, 41, and 49 meter bands. Uses a good metal housing with S0239 input/outputs and a useful bypass switch, and the toroids are nice quality. I even use it on my Kaito KA-2100 portable.

I would guess that most users of these filters are hams, but actually, any SWL'er with a portable who's added an external wire antenna w/coax feed and now finds AM interference and/or images all over his set ought to try this filter out. It will definitely zap that AM BCB interference, but good!

SDP69 Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2007 10:08 Send this review to a friend
A Valuable Addition to the Shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I recently moved from semi-rural Massachusetts to northern New Jersey, I figured there would be "challenges" to shortwave listening. I was too optimistic by half. Now I'm 14 miles from New York City and its numerous blowtorch BCB stations. When I set up my 97.5-foot Inverted-L antenna that worked so well in MA and turned on my Ten-Tec Rx-320, I heard WOR 710, WABC 770, and Bloomberg Radio 1130 on the 31, 25, and 19-meter bands. Utter SWL hell.

So I threw up a 60-foot Inverted-L. Some of my favorite world broadcasters were more copyable, but so was "77, WABC," Hoping to capture still less interference, I turned to a 9-foot CB whip, which was a bit better even though it lowered SW reception slightly. All antennas were grounded and impedance matched. I was stalemated.

Enter the Par Electronics's BCST-HPF. It does what Dale Parfitt says it will do. Installed before my preamp, the filter severely attenuates BCB interference, reducing it to more-than-manageable background noise. I expect that in a less congested rf environment, it would be effectively eliminated. The bypass switch is a nice touch, too.

The takeaway is this: if you're an SWL living near BCB transmitters, move. Failing that, get a Par BCST-HPF. Much cheaper. Oh, and try shortening your antenna, use your preamp with care, and follow the rest of the recommendations Dale includes on the accompanying spec sheet

This filter is a winner, definitely a 5.

K0YW Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2005 09:20 Send this review to a friend
thie unit is very effective on 160-80m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed a 160m beverage receiving system here at my Southwest Colorado QTH. It consists of 3 Misek SWA two wire beverages each 660' long, giving 6 directions. The front to back ratio averages 20-25 db depending on wave angle of the signal arrival. While the receive gain was excellent at 40 and 80 meters, it was a bit low on 160M with my K2 and TS 850 receivers. I built a high dynamic range low gain(9db)pre-amp using a 2n5109 CATV amp transistor in a Broadband circuit with lots of feedback. The result was a desired improvement in the receive gain on 160. Weak DX signals that were whisper copy at full audio volume on the K2 were now comfortable Q5 copy at 1/3 to 1/2 audio gain. On 80 and 40M it was necessary to turn off the internal K2 preamp to end up with the same levels on 80 and 40 as I was seeing on 160 with the new preamp. There was a problem however.While no spurious signals were noted during daytime testing (No local strong AM broadcast signals)Some unwanted carriers were found on 160m at night. They were AM modulated and appeared to be AM Broadcast band harmonics arriving on the beverages via skywave. Switching my beverages in different directions brought the signals up and down depending upon their direction. Since my preamp didn't have any selectivity built in, I was pretty sure this was going to happen. I tried a couple of filters that I had on the shelf. While both had some positive effect,one high pass filter had excessive insertion loss almost 10db.While it got rid of the harmonics, it also effectively eliminated the beneficial effect of my preamp on 160M. I swept the filter and found that it was a high pass filter alright, but one whose roll off was at 3.4 MHz! At 1.8 Mhz its loss was over 10 db. The other filter was a 160 BP unit, but didn't have enough poles to be effective below the band...the source of my problem. I then spoke with Dale, W4OP who sent me his BCST-HPF filter. When placed in series in front of my pre-amp..all of the BC Harmonics completely dissapeared! It was easy to check on them as the filter has an IN-OUT switch on its front panel. Using a modified metal Hammond chassis box, The unit is a tiny package, but the filter components are good sized toroids that allow exact adjustment of the filter poles for optimum BC band nulls (up to 80 db)while precisely setting the filters knee at 1.8MHz where the insertion loss is slightly less than 1 db. Other than the ubiquitous "Fish Buoy Beacons" and in band intruders, 160M is now a pleasure to listen to signals on. I highly recommend The Parr BCST-HPF filter as standard equipment for the serious 160M-80M operator. 73 Bruce Clark K0YW