Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Peg Leg Help

Reviews Summary for Peg Leg
Peg Leg Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $US$ 16,95
Description: It is an ingeniously made tilt stand, designed and manufactured in Germany. This useful accessory comes as a kit, and includes detailed mounting instructions and all necessary parts like washers, screws, etc. The legs are made of stainless steel and provide maximum stability and longevity.
US Distributor

You can write your own review of the Peg Leg.

VE3KKU Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2010 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is really quite ingenious - simple, effective, reliable, quality. What more can you ask for? I am so glad I found this by looking through the QRP section.

The packaging is really quite professional and kind of cute - even comes with a spare bag of parts, great instructions, etc. Other companies take notice!

I don't understand the gripes about price! They priced it at only $20. Would you pay $20 to elevate your normally pain-in-the-butt un-elevated radio? Obviously you did, so it must be worth the $20. The value is what it does for you, not in the amount of metal or plastic that is involved. It cost something to design, stamp and create the parts, create the instructions and provide all the little baggies. Do you begrudge them $10 in profit? Also, complaining about $7 to ship from Europe?? What do you think it costs to package, administer (handle your emails) and ship from there?? Give me a break....

Hats off to Palm Radio for a superb little device.
Great job! Check out their other nifty products.
K3PRN Rating: 4/5 Jun 17, 2010 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Good Produce but expensive.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Peg Leg accessory allows you to elevate your Yaesu FT-817ND about 1-1/2" and the provided rear feet preventing sliding. The big bonus is they fold out to raise and fold back to put in the Yaesu soft case or pack. This device works very well and one has to accept the high cost.

Installation is quite easy but my problems were 64 year old eyesight and the assistance of my 5 month old cat!

The major negative is the $19.95 cost and yes it is made in Germany, with this price must be in the Leica camera factory! To add insult to injury is the shipping fee of $7. The Peg Leg comes in a plastic package that is 3" x 5" and would easily fit into a business envelope or a small mailing envelope. I guess they use the large box for their shipping convenience and to send you a Morse catalog.
K1TP Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2009 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Decent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Decent product that should have been included with the radio to start with. Only gripe, too expensive for what they really are.
IZ5RIE Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2009 13:30 Send this review to a friend
PegLeg = Columbus' egg  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
* simple to install
* easy to use
* quality of materials
* attention to details
* spare parts included
* a friendly sales manager (Mr. Hannes)
* reliable service pre/post sale
... what else?
N4KZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2009 10:07 Send this review to a friend
The best stand  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed the Peg Legs on my FT-817ND and I'm impressed. They look factory-installed and I like the fact they tilt out of the way when not in use. I'm on my third FT-817. I foolishly sold the first two but when I bought the third, I vowed it was staying no matter what. Along the way, I've homebrewed stands to tilt the front up and used other commercial stands. All had their pros and cons. I started with a sheet-metal bookend which I bent further for my needs. It worked well but looked goofy and was not something I wanted to take on vacation along with the rig. When I bought my second FT-817, I bought a wire stand from another company. It worked well but was just something else to haul in the suitcase. Recently, I used a plastic stand I converted from a household item. It worked fine at home but again I wasn't thrilled about hauling it around with the radio. Now, the Peg Legs are attached to the radio permanently, tilt out of the way when not in use or during travel and fold back down when in use. Deceptively simple. Why didn't I think of this? Took 10 minutes to install. OK, I'm mechanically challenged. Most of you could install these in 5 minutes or less. Very nice addition to a fun little rig. Yaesu should have gone this route too!
DL9SCO Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2008 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Elaborate design  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a short comment on the words of SWDUNCAN:

The height of the stainless steel feet has been designed to ensure very good display readout - by raising the back end of the FT-817 you reduce the tilt and thereby nullify one of the main benefits of the PEG LEG.

I would rather just use the front antenna BNC connector which is just perfect to use a BNC plug with short piece of RG174 to have a nice flexible connection to your radio.
KG6BRG Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2008 10:58 Send this review to a friend
best of the bunch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice solution to elevate the 817. Like most I've tried different ways to home-brew something. Once you get over the $20.00 U.S. (plus $7.00 shipping) for a bit of stainless steel and a few nylon washers, you will find that the expense is soon forgotten. They work, period. Also it's nice to get something that's not made in China. My only gripe is when tilted all the way up the rear antenna socket is to close to the table to be used and the supplied feet don't raise it enough, even with a 90 degree adapter. My solution was to buy two, 1/2 inch tall rubber feet (self sticking) and use them instead, now I can use a normal patch cord or coax with room to spare. That's why I rated it a 4, but some may think it's not a big deal and may use the front antenna socket. All and all the best elevating system out there. cheers.
ON6VG Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2008 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received the shipment of my PegLeg.
I mounted it and it's perfect, congratulations on the design and the quality of the product.

Best 73 from Belgium

Gilbert on6vg

G0MLY Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2008 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Above level pegging!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not much to add. Simple idea, brilliantly executed. I tried some other solutions but none were as good as this!

One caveat for DinKey users. You cannot use this with the Dinkey in the stand position as it shorts the keyer to earth and send streams of CW!!! A minor issue, to be fair, and one that the makers of 2 excellent products could not have known about.

This is simply a top top product - just buy one!
EI2DJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2008 03:43 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic item  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a fantastic product and its a must have for owners of the FT-817, you will wonder how you ever did without it. Your neck will thank you. I would highly recommend to any FT-817 user.