Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Icom IC-745 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-745
Icom IC-745 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $650.00
Description: Old ICOM HF rig

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-745.

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2008 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the unit when it first came out and was very impressed. Had the unit retuned a few years ago and it was like new. Reliable, great audio, durable, no major problems and I am rough on equipment. If you are lucky enough to get one, send it to one of the many excellent places to be tuned, or get a service manual and do it yourself, the unit will be like new again.

WA8MEA Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2008 15:26 Send this review to a friend
They don't make 'em like they use to!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this used from a friend of mine. My youngest son (age 13....) said; "It looks like an Army radio, Dad!" Yep! It's got bulk! Not one of those little peanut whistles where you can't even see the dial.

I've had two MINOR problems since acquiring: 1) This has an internal power supply which makes it even more appealing. HOWEVER, after time the power supply's insulation "gasket" deteriorates and one has to resort to remounting and re-insulating the supply from the chassis of the rig. Nothing that angle iron and duct tape can't repair. 2) The diode which connects to the center pin of the coax jack likes to separate from the PC board and turn freely. A quick re-touch of solder solves the problem.

The filters on this are unbelievable and seem way ahead of their time. Power output easily adjustable from QRP to full output. All solid state. 10, 18 and 24 WARC bands. I've read a questionable mod about opening this up for 60 meters by clipping a certain brown wire. I think I'll pass. General coverage receiver.

Some might think that the high impedance antenna jack for the AM broadcast band is a bit of a headache. Nonsense. I've connected my 160 meter dipole to this during the summer and am amazed at the AM stations I can receive with this rig. And you can leave both the AM antenna and transmit antenna connected since the rig will automatically switch when you go to the OLD AM band limit of 1600 khz.

KI4RIG Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 18:08 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love this radio it does what I need it to do no need to buy a new one It give it a 5 out of five no problems. I get great audio reports with the icom sm-8 microphone

KB2DHG Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2007 11:42 Send this review to a friend
GREAT TRANSCEIVER  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first new transceiver purchased back in 1987. Till today it has been a GREAT performer. I worked the world with it and it always performed 100%. Just recently had to have the trim capacitors replaced and that is all!
if you can find this rig on the used market BUY IT! Easy to operate and a dependable rig!
NO NEED FOR ME TO BUY ANOTHER TRANSCEIVER...
If anything should happen to it I will either have it repaired or search for another one!
GOD I WISH ICOM WOULD MAKE THIS RADIO AGAIN!

CX6AV Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2007 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Yo trabajé en el Icom dealer en Uruguay en los años 80 y utilizabamos al Icom IC-745 hasta en bandas comerciales, fuera de Ham radio,por lo que su rendimiento es excelente hasta como banda corrida.Su comportamiento es tan bueno, que luego de haber tenido equipos de hasta U$S 2000, he vuelto al viejo amor del 745.Siempre quise tener uno propio y he conseguido uno inmaculado,como nuevo,con su fuente ps-15.Un equipo con todo lo que se puede pedir, un NB útil y efectivo mejor que todos los Kenwood de esa época que lo traian de adorno,mejor recepcion y transmisión que el IC 735.Gran sensibilidad, un filtro notch que elimina radicalmente portadoras de AM,un display mas visible que cualquiera de LCD ,y un Smeter hermoso y completo,bien grande,exacto y multifuncional, un panel de control con perillas directas sin dobles funciones muy agradables,muy buena operación en CW,medidor de R.O.E.incluido,control de Tono,AGC regulable,RX muy buena,versatil como movil o base,sólida construcción casi sin plásticos,muy bueno para DX en SWL,etc.etc.Lo recomiendo a todos!!!

G0UAA Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2007 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Cannot fault it Ic-745  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took 1 in trade as faulty, It only needed the VCO's re setting as the trimmers had oxidised an absolute
doddle to do using my brothers PoScope. (Lids off 15/20mins tops sorted) Now its back to normal and for the life in me I carnt see any reason for getting rid of it. Nothing wrong with the display,RX is as good as anything I've owned & I love the Ole worlde look. Icom bolt in PSU as well. Iv'e had some very nice radio's in the past, But I'm sure if they were all sat on my table now I would still be able to here the same voice coming out of this (Has to be) Classic Icom Ic-745 speaker.

(It's good being me)

73's All Ian G0UAA IO83VT SD83

Ps. I do use a W9GR DSP Audio Filter with it, But
hey why not.

KA4PXK Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2007 21:49 Send this review to a friend
GREAT older rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used several older Icoms, when I bought mine, I thought it would be a fine rig. I haven't been disappointed. It beats everything I have owned except my FT 757GX (it had all the filters and a custom alignment done twice in its life and was spot on.) The receive might be a bit noisy by todays standards but it works great and I have used it, in a location where the floor is very quite and I haven't had a problem. In the first few hours I had it I worked DX on 80, 40 and 20 and added a few new states to the 5 band WAS I am working on. I love it and I will not sell it when I can afford the New DSP Icom, it will make a great back up rig.
2 negitives the mode switch is a pain, but I can live it with
The RAM problem but I am going to buy the after market board and fix that.

The receiver beats the one in the 720 and 730 series and the interface is better, it was a real winner.

KD3GG Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2006 11:25 Send this review to a friend
IC 745 20+ Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife bought me an ICOM 745 for our first anniversary 25 years ago. Have worked over 300 countries and most modes. Noted that the receiver was not as sharp as it had been and sent it out for realignment. Came back like new and is doing a great job. No repairs, no problems except I no longer can receive the AM radio band, never even tried to find out what happened. Nice radio and cheap on the used market.

K2ACB Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2006 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Still in Use 18 Years Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was in the UK from 85-88. Before I left for the UK I bought a used IC745 to take over there. It served me well with no problems both on cw and ssb during my stay there. Before I left I sold the IC745 to G4ZOD.I was recently in touch with him after many years and to my surprise he told me he still had and used the IC745 which I sold him and it still worked well. For someone who does not want to spend a lot of money and can find one of these rigs on the used market in good condition I would recommend to consider it.-K2ACB

KB2JRD Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2006 09:10 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT WORKHORSE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this rig in the 80's from a fellow ham. It served me well for years and is still alive and well. The SSB contacts made all over the world on a simple dipole made me belive this rig is as good as it gets. An interesting side note is that in the last few years it was hit by lightning twice. I thought it was then, both times, becoming a boat anchor. However, Icom service twice resurrected it from the dead. 100 bucks the first time....200 bucks the second time. It works better than ever. Lesson learned, disconnect everthing from your rig before a storm hits. Anyhow, all these 5000 dollar rigs just have whistles and bells...but the Icom-745 does the same job!