Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner
MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner Reviews: 70 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $359.95
Description: Updated version of the MFJ-989C Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2017 19:19 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions Very Positive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading some of the reviews on eHam, I had some concerns about buying this product. I almost wonder if most satisfied owners aren't the writing/reviewing kind? Well anyway...

I got a great price on this from Gigaparts at Hamvention. It arrived today (Wednesday 5/24) in the MFJ factory box. Packing on the part of MFJ was more than adequate with what looked like hand made Styrofoam inserts and loads of packing material. I disassembled the unit for a quick inspection and to install the recommended 9 volt battery (no need, really). Construction looked first rate. The roller inductor and turns counter operate smoothly. I'd give the fit and finish about a 4.95 as it took a little effort to get all the screws back in. There was also one tiny paint missing spot near one of the screws. Otherwise, the unit looks nice sitting on my upper equipment rack. The SO-239 connectors and binding posts seemed first rate. The coaxial connectors were very tight, just like you'd want new ones to be. I think this says that MFJ did not use cheap ones here!

As a tuner, I successfully matched a 2.5:1 at 3.770 on my OCF dipole (no big deal). All controls worked smoothly. Using an MFJ 259C as a tuning aid really works slick.

The watt meter might be a tad generous but basically agrees with the RF Applications VFD I just sold. The peak-reading meter does a better job of catching expected voice peaks than did the VFD (older version with 8 bit processor probably not fast enough). The meter is large, bright and easy to read (powered it with a $6 Chinese 12V 2 amp wall wart). It shows the expected 600 watts out of my ALS 600 (to be augmented by an ALS-1300 tomorrow, oh boy). The dummy load handles 100 watt audio tests without bothering on-air operators. Nice feature to have and look Mom, no transformer oil!

As a ham since 1964, I would recommend this tuner to anyone except perhaps for a RTTY or digital contester running 1500 watts, full duty cycle. Construction is medium to heavy duty; good enough for casual SSB rag chewing and DXing at 1200 watts. Connectors and controls are solid. Matching appears so easy and repeatable, I could not justify twice the price for an automated tuner like the MFJ 998.

F4EKQ Rating: 1/5 Dec 18, 2016 03:59 Send this review to a friend
no good for me this article  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello everyone
I use recently this box I buy new
I had big problems with ...... and the power reading no longer works on the crossed needles only the ROS is reading
I contacted MFJ and nothing to do they do not want to know anything, I have to fend for myself to repair it
Fasteners not tightened, connector of the chokes not tightened, lighting led connected upside down (the lighting does not work)!
I made a document to see the link on my site
This material is not worthy of a professional especially after-sales service.
If oms have already had problem
Good traffic 73 QRO
Here is the link: http://f4ekq.free.fr/radio/mfj989d.doc or see on my site

F4EKQ Rating: 0/5 Dec 18, 2016 03:56 Send this review to a friend
Big Problem this article for me.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hello everyone
I use recently this box I buy new
I made a document to see the link on my site
This material is not worthy of a professional especially after-sales service.
If oms have already had problem
Here is the link: http://f4ekq.free.fr/radio/mfj989d.doc or see on my site
Very sorry for that @Didier
Good trafic 73 QRO

VE1FG Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2016 12:33 Send this review to a friend
well worken unit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
got the 989d about 8 months ago used and haven't had anything go wrong with it so far even with 1.500 watts running in it on all bands ...for the money ide say its a good worken unit I use it on a windom -80 ant and it tunes all the bands from 6-80 fine so far so good mike in Canada ve1-fg.

KJ4IIB Rating: 1/5 Nov 23, 2016 17:32 Send this review to a friend
DONT !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
PURCHASED NEW,THE AVERAGE POWER SETTING WOULD NOT WORK,SO I COULD NOT TUNE MY 811H PROPERLY.I NOTIFIED MFJ,THANKS MR.ROB...HE SENT OUT A NEW ONE.MFJ HAD NO ANSWER WHAT CAUSED THIS.IM SCARED TO PUT IT IN LINE,WILL PROBLY BE DISAPPOINTED....SENDING IT BACK TO HRO FOR A DIFFRENT TUNER.

K1GLD Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2016 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner and easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I usually use an automatic antenna tuner. Push a button and the radio matches the antenna. Everyone said I wouldn't like a manual tuner and that it is too cumbersome.

WRONG. This is easy to use with great directions. It tunes extremely well on both my vertical and off center dipole. Very pleased and highly recommended.

W3ATT Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2016 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got mine used from HRO consignment page and it works perfectly. I had to open the cover to tighten the studs for balanced line output but no big issue for me. They came loose from repeatedly tightening and loosening the wing nuts when testing different antennas. Over all it works fantastic for me (been about 10 months of daily activity on the bands.) I have easily peaked 1200 watts with zero issues. Have used it with various wire antennas, Mosely tri bander and 170 ft cf Zepp down to 160m.

KX7L Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2016 16:08 Send this review to a friend
pretty good but for that turns counter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one of these at a hamfest, from a guy who won it as a door prize, but didn't need it, so it was essentially brand new.

When I got it home, right away I noticed that the inductor turns counter seemed to "skip" every so often, but only when turned counter clockwise. So I opened it up and took a look.
First of all, the solder joints all looked good and solid, no need to touch anything up.
Fortunately the turns counter is very easy to take out, so I took a look at it. The inductor shaft has a large nylon gear that engages a small gear on the turns counter. On the shaft with the small gear is a metal worm drive. That worm drive engages a black plastic gear, and that's where the problem was. The black plastic gear had a worn spot and the worm gear would slip when it got to that spot. Not sure why it was that way, but I ordered a replacement turns counter from MFJ.
Two other things to note: The downloadable manual from MFJ does not have a full schematic. (but I did find one on PA0FRI's website)
The manual does not quite explain about how the internal 9V battery works. At first I thought it was not connected, as the power/SWR meter did not work without connecting an external 12V supply. However, after looking at PA0FRI's schematic I see that the 9V battery is only connected to the circuit when the "Lamp On" switch is pushed in. Then the lamp (and the SWR circuit) will turn on and off as the transmitter is keyed. Kinda weird.

I also understand why those 1N34A diodes were blowing out in the MFJ-989C and older revisions - the "D" version has an op-amp buffer circuit to implement the Peak/Average feature, whereas the older versions just put a large (220uF) cap on the output of the 1N34A rectifier. With 5Vpp coming out of the bridge, the 1N34A sees a 47 ohm load, and about 100mA of current until the big cap charges up, way more than it's rated for. The '989D circuit should take care of that.

AA4AJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2015 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I read eHam reviews before I buy something so, I owe the reviewers one.

I bought my MFJ-989D because my auto tuner would not find a SWR that was low enough to suit me. I also got it on sale at an excellent price from HRO. I read the reviews here and checked the tuner very carefully. The fit and finish are first rate. I opened the case to check the battery clip and the components seem to be high quality. The wiring is well done. The inside was clean and nothing was loose. The tuner works on all bands without a power connector as the power only controls the meter light. None of the components are the very highest quality but, they work well and are the same ones as on other MFJ / Ameritron products. To get that 'high quality', you pay a lot more.

The tuner works very well. The meter is bright and clear and seems to be reasonably accurate. The inductor doesn’t feel the same as the one in my other tuner but, it is a different technology and has worked well. The turns counter seems accurate. The capacitor tuning knobs are directly connected (no planetary gears) so you have to be careful with tuning. Using the MFJ supplied instructions, tuning is quick and accurate. The tuner settings are very narrow and specific. Depending on the antenna, a final setting can be quite broad in frequency coverage.

First rate. You can spend a lot more ( I did that ) and will get very little extra.

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2015 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner for the money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MFJ gets a lot of flack for their equipment but if you understand its limitations and don't get a defective unit to begin with, the products are worth the money. I am very pleased with the new 989D I bought a month ago. I've made dozens of contacts with powers up to a kilowatt and had no problem. The meter is dead on with a Bird slug I borrowed at the 1000 watt level.

A used Palstar might be better...but it might not be. No way to know how much power might have been put through it, or if the meter works right, or if it had been hot-switched...Point being, unless you know the history of a used tuner, you're taking your chances. With a new MFJ, you've got the warranty.

My other tuner is a really old MFJ 986 with the split capacitor design, and the 989D will match on bands where the 986 had difficulty. One tip--it is well known that this type of tuner can show an SWR minimum at more than one adjustment. On my tuner, after tuning with low power and applying 700 to 1000 watts input, the reflected power meter will suddenly peg if I'm on one of the wrong dip points. I don't suppose it is designed to do this, but that's what happens on mine, and I know to re-tune for a dip more in line with the recommended settings.

Con: It is somewhat misleading to use a 3-digit turn counter that maxes out before the hundreds digit can change, actually utilizing only two of the digits. No problem, just a weird choice.

Different tuners react differently to different loads and I don't know if this is the perfect tuner for you. For me, with a 400-foot doublet fed with a 9:1 balun and ladderline, and an elevated Hustler 5BTV vertical, it is working quite well.