Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner
MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner Reviews: 59 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $359.95
Description: Updated version of the MFJ-989C Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner.

VK7NRS Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2013 16:06 Send this review to a friend
It Works, But Teething Troubles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my shiny new MFJ-989D yesterday delivered ex HamCity in the US. Great people to deal with, prompt serevice, good communication and reasonable postage rates. It would be really great to be able to give a 5/5 for the 989D, and I would have except that the MFJ quality control has let them down again. On opening the carton, the first thing I did was check the dial and switches, and you guessed it,there was a problem, the roller inductor handle, when turned, was grinding and the counter was slipping. It just did not have a good feel to it. So, like many reviews I've read, it was immediately open up the cover. Inside I found that the nylon gears on the counter drive were not meshing, the counter was slipping, and more worrying was that inside rattling around was a loose nut. A thorough inspection revealed that the nut was a spare that had been left inside the case. Jammed into the wrong place while being operated, may have let the smoke out of the box. Anyway, faced with having to return the unit to the US for repair and the clearly high cost of doing so, I decided to have a go at repairing things myself. The issue was that the reset button on the counter had been shortened to allow it to fit, but had not been shortened enough and it was hitting the inside of the front panel and forcing the whole couter assembly away from the front panel. This had the effect of not allowing the small drive gear to mesh properly with the large gear, and also to prevent the counter from turining as it should. This was fixed by removing the counter assembly, using a pair of cutters to further shorten the reset button, and reassembling. Something so simple, and if the RI handle had been turned and checked post assembly in the factory, it would have been obvious. I'm told MFJ is manufactured in the US. This is a good thing given that it seems just about everything is made in China now. I like to support businesses keeping the stuff home grown, but please MFJ, some simple QC, especially for us overseas buyers. It works absolutely as it should, just some very avoidable teething issues.

WR0F Rating: 2/5 Apr 25, 2013 18:11 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 989D back from repair   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well after a 2 + months repair at MFJ we received our 989D back.The counter for inductance is back to its old ways of slipping having to be reset to Zero constantly and the top lid was scratched up badly on top and front edges for one that was perfect when we sent it in.I just got it back 3 days ago . I will say it tunes on 10 meters now .
Now the warranty is run out as it was in their hands about 70 days. It would still be sitting there if I did not call in and complain .I think I will fix it myself this time as soon as replacement lid gets here .

WB0UPD Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my third MFJ tuner and I started out in 1977 with a Dentron.

Anyway I purchased used from a ham who had owned for 5 years. It took it apart when I first received after reading the reviews on here thinking the worst. All looked good inside except for a loose connection on the long wire input. Remember this is a used tuner. I fixed that, and installed the required 9 volt battery.
You either need to have the 9 volt battery or a 12 volt DC power source connected, Before the meters will work! The meter light will not light with the 9 volt battery. I have about a 100 ft long wire strung up in my back yard and this tuner will tune it for every band, Including 10 meters. Would I buy again, yes.

WA3RSL Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Tunes my gutter 160-10 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I first received nt MFJ-989D, I opened it up and did an inspection and found all solder joints excellent and no loose or missing parts. I live in an apt with antenna restrictions. I load up my gutter by running a single 22 gauge wire out a hole in the side of house to the gutter downspount and connected there with an alligator clip. Can load any band and have no problems at all. I have several ground radials run inside my apt. I have an Elecraft KX3 that drives my Dentron MLA-2500 to 300 watts out, so that's the max power I'v ever run through the tuner. I like having the dummy load, it's useful as are the meter and coax switches. 73 all!

WR0F Rating: 2/5 Nov 29, 2012 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Will not tune 10 meters + Slipping counter   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My MFJ 989D will easily tune 12-160 meters but will not tune any antenna resonant or non resonant on 10 meters.It never has been able to tune 10 meters using my TH7DX - Butternut HF9V - HY GAIN SPT 500 or even a simple dipole .I should have sent it right back to them .
The inductance counter is constantly slipping and has to be reset to zero so it is time to send it back to MFJ before the warranty runs out.
The tuner works great on even 160 meters with 1200 watts with my inverted L .

N4YX Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2012 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Please Read!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In addition to the used 969 I've recently acquired a used 989D MFJ tuner. BOTH (and I suspect many) of these tuners have the same Roller Inductor issues so mine are not isolated cases as you'll see via the supplied link. The tuner itself is good except for roller-to-shaft problems inside the inductor. There's an absolutely excellent article with fabulous close-up photos of this phenomenon at: http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/MFJ969-repair/index-mfj969repair.html. I plan on refurbishing both my MFJ tuners using this technique. This procedure can be accomplished without completely disassembling the roller inductor mechanism.

KE2TR Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2012 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: months
I just picked one of these tuners up, its not bad, the swr part could be impoved cause it might be affected by reflected power that may be coming back at times(place it in the peak position and its ok but slow). They could have painted the covers better, front apnet is nice though and I am surprised the metter light is bright, maybe they should do the same on the metters on the am,eritron amps as well. To my surprise the inside wireing was fine, I expected to resolder some joints but everything was ok. I did have to re adjust the bracket that does the turns counter(it was slipping) but I expected something that might not be right, MFJ has still not got there QC department workin right yet. I feel there air core roller inductor should have more turn on it, seems a little on the small side. I let you know in a year if it hold up, lol.
Jim

W5RHR Rating: 2/5 Apr 28, 2012 21:20 Send this review to a friend
uPDATE TO MY REVIEW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am updating my review because today I strung up a doublet fed with 450 ohm ladder line and no matter what, I could not tune the antenna. I first assumed my antenna and feedline were at fault and tried several remedies to no avail.

I took the top off the tuner and discovered one winding of the toroid primary was broken! I resoldered the connection and the balanced portion started working.
Another hit for QC.

AA1PR Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2012 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Typical MFJ issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this tuner it performs like it should however I have had to send it back twice as the meter stopped working, once under warranty & then again only a few weeks later off warranty. other then the meter problems this tuner can & does handle it with ease

W3AMF Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2012 19:10 Send this review to a friend
It Works Well and is Fairly Priced  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Perhaps I have not had mine long enough to experience the problems some guys are complaining about. Mine loads an A-Delta DX-A, an 8-band, gnd mtd DX Engineering vertical, and a Mosley TA-33Jr with ease. It gives me 12 and 18 meter coverage on my old tribander. For some reason, it will not load the DX-A on 1.900 - 2.000 Mhz. It runs cool with 500 W CW and 600 W PEP output. I made a detailed tuning chart (Excel) for the 3 antennas on all bands. The settings work, the tuning is repeatable, and I can change bands QUICKLY. I load it at 25 W output, then go to 100W. I, then, know that it will be ready for my Amp Supply LA-1000A if I choose to use it. The manual is excellent.