Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner
MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner Reviews: 56 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $359.95
Description: Updated version of the MFJ-989C Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner.

WA3RSL Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Tunes my gutter 160-10 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I first received nt MFJ-989D, I opened it up and did an inspection and found all solder joints excellent and no loose or missing parts. I live in an apt with antenna restrictions. I load up my gutter by running a single 22 gauge wire out a hole in the side of house to the gutter downspount and connected there with an alligator clip. Can load any band and have no problems at all. I have several ground radials run inside my apt. I have an Elecraft KX3 that drives my Dentron MLA-2500 to 300 watts out, so that's the max power I'v ever run through the tuner. I like having the dummy load, it's useful as are the meter and coax switches. 73 all!

WR0F Rating: 2/5 Nov 29, 2012 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Will not tune 10 meters + Slipping counter   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My MFJ 989D will easily tune 12-160 meters but will not tune any antenna resonant or non resonant on 10 meters.It never has been able to tune 10 meters using my TH7DX - Butternut HF9V - HY GAIN SPT 500 or even a simple dipole .I should have sent it right back to them .
The inductance counter is constantly slipping and has to be reset to zero so it is time to send it back to MFJ before the warranty runs out.
The tuner works great on even 160 meters with 1200 watts with my inverted L .

N4YX Rating: 4/5 Nov 21, 2012 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Please Read!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In addition to the used 969 I've recently acquired a used 989D MFJ tuner. BOTH (and I suspect many) of these tuners have the same Roller Inductor issues so mine are not isolated cases as you'll see via the supplied link. The tuner itself is good except for roller-to-shaft problems inside the inductor. There's an absolutely excellent article with fabulous close-up photos of this phenomenon at: http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/MFJ969-repair/index-mfj969repair.html. I plan on refurbishing both my MFJ tuners using this technique. This procedure can be accomplished without completely disassembling the roller inductor mechanism.

KE2TR Rating: 4/5 Jun 27, 2012 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: months
I just picked one of these tuners up, its not bad, the swr part could be impoved cause it might be affected by reflected power that may be coming back at times(place it in the peak position and its ok but slow). They could have painted the covers better, front apnet is nice though and I am surprised the metter light is bright, maybe they should do the same on the metters on the am,eritron amps as well. To my surprise the inside wireing was fine, I expected to resolder some joints but everything was ok. I did have to re adjust the bracket that does the turns counter(it was slipping) but I expected something that might not be right, MFJ has still not got there QC department workin right yet. I feel there air core roller inductor should have more turn on it, seems a little on the small side. I let you know in a year if it hold up, lol.
Jim

W5RHR Rating: 2/5 Apr 28, 2012 21:20 Send this review to a friend
uPDATE TO MY REVIEW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am updating my review because today I strung up a doublet fed with 450 ohm ladder line and no matter what, I could not tune the antenna. I first assumed my antenna and feedline were at fault and tried several remedies to no avail.

I took the top off the tuner and discovered one winding of the toroid primary was broken! I resoldered the connection and the balanced portion started working.
Another hit for QC.

AA1PR Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2012 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Typical MFJ issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this tuner it performs like it should however I have had to send it back twice as the meter stopped working, once under warranty & then again only a few weeks later off warranty. other then the meter problems this tuner can & does handle it with ease

W3AMF Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2012 19:10 Send this review to a friend
It Works Well and is Fairly Priced  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Perhaps I have not had mine long enough to experience the problems some guys are complaining about. Mine loads an A-Delta DX-A, an 8-band, gnd mtd DX Engineering vertical, and a Mosley TA-33Jr with ease. It gives me 12 and 18 meter coverage on my old tribander. For some reason, it will not load the DX-A on 1.900 - 2.000 Mhz. It runs cool with 500 W CW and 600 W PEP output. I made a detailed tuning chart (Excel) for the 3 antennas on all bands. The settings work, the tuning is repeatable, and I can change bands QUICKLY. I load it at 25 W output, then go to 100W. I, then, know that it will be ready for my Amp Supply LA-1000A if I choose to use it. The manual is excellent.

K7TXO Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2012 22:54 Send this review to a friend
Made my day w/DX contacts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I received the new MFJ-989D, I was put off a bit that it is light in weight and the cover paint job seems not as good as anything else. But after hooking it up and actually using it; this tuner works outstanding on my vertical, dipoles and hex beam with my rigs at low or high power or with linear too. I give it a 4 because I think the cabinet paint could be better and the inductors mechanical gearing could operate smoother. Otherwise based on a short time of experience, it works good enough for me to otherwise rate a "5". I do hope it provides me this kind of operational service for years to come.

KE8G Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2011 03:34 Send this review to a friend
Very good tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this tuner now for almost a year and it works great. If you take your time and start with low power; 10 - 20 watts, then there is no problem tuning it. I've been able to run about 600 watts using it and no problems.

I love the cross needle SWR/watt feature, it gives a lot of information at glance. The only thing I might say that I wish was different would be a bigger meter!

I would recommend this tuner to anyone who is in the market for a high-power tuner.

73 de Jim - KE8G

K0HWY Rating: 2/5 Jul 6, 2011 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perhaps it's just my bad luck, if you believe in luck. I don't. This is the second and last MFJ-989D I've tried in the past two months. There's quite a price step between this tuner and some of the comparable units offered by other manufacturers. But I would recommend spending the extra $200 and save yourself the frustration and grief I've been through. There are some decent MFJ products on the market but this isn't one of them.