Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner
MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner Reviews: 65 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $359.95
Description: Updated version of the MFJ-989C Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-989D 3kW Roller Inductor Antenna Tuner.

W7XY Rating: 2/5 Apr 15, 2014 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Not Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several MFJ tuners and the trouble is the meters quit after a short time. If they just used a little better quality diodes in the meter circuit is all it would take to correct the problem. When I called them they offered to send me the replacement diodes free but I have had enough of this type of doing business. I like an American Company doing their production here but I won't buy any more products from them after this practice. I have bought many of their products in my years as an Amateur and the older items seemed to work just fine until I had the experience with their tuners.
WB0AQW Rating: 4/5 Feb 12, 2014 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Would Recommend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Granted, I just got the tuner. It was packaged very well in a good heavy box with the tuner ensconced in styro foam. My first impression was that MFJ cares about the product enough to properly package it.

Upon opening the box and unpacking the tuner, I hear a rattle inside the tuner. I had already determined that I would remove the cover and do a thorough inspection of the solder joints, nuts and bolts and all other components. So I wasn't over concerned about the rattle. While the product was still in the plastic bag I saw the source of the rattle. I found a bolt and when I took it out of the bag, I found it's accompanying nut in the bag as well.

I removed the cover and my impression was very favorable. The paint was nice, the bolts were threaded into threaded holes as opposed to using metal cutting screws. Well done, MFJ. The source of the loose bolt and nut was found to be one of the four bolts that mount the Antenna capacitor. It probably didn't get fully snugged upon assembly and rattled loose during shipment. A pretty understandable slip through QC. I will give them a semi pass on it but did lower my rating.

The rest of the interior was immaculate. The solder joints were well done. The capacitors moved smoothly with just enough drag to hold a setting easily. The roller inductor was also very smooth and turned quietly and accurately. Checked other fasteners all of which appeared to be snugged down properly. So far, my opinion is that this is a nice piece of equipment which seems to be well built.

Now was the time for the rubber to meet the road. I like to work 3.740.00 Mhz for rag chewing with a group. So trimmed my antenna for resonance on this frequency. But I also enjoy BPSK31 on 3.580.15 Mhz and at this part of the band, my antenna exhibits a 5:1 SWR. Tuning this portion of the band to 1:1 was absolutely effortless. Using the manual's suggested starting points, it took less then a minute to have my TS850S loving that portion of the band. Other bands I've set up on were just as easy and on 75 Meters I applied my SB-220 Linear into the MFJ 989D and everything just worked to perfection.

I can't say yet what things will be like in a year or so. But I know how I treat my radio equipment and I'm convinced that a year from now I will say the same thing.

Are there better tuners out there? Of course, but for the money, the 989D is pretty hard to beat. I also own the MFJ 4245 power supply and if the 989D performs like the power supply I will be a happy camper.

If you aren't independently wealthy and you would like to have a tuner that can handle way more than just what your transceiver puts out, the MFJ-989D is an highly recommended option in my opinion.

There have been many unfavorable reviews of this tuner but to date, I have been unable to discover their foundation.

Remember, a tuner doesn't fix the antenna. It only makes your transceiver happy by having it feeding a proper load. If your antenna sucks, after tuning your tuner for minimum swr, the antenna will still suck.
KG2S Rating: 2/5 Dec 25, 2013 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Repeat Meter Problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the second time in less than a year, the meter on my MFJ-989D has stopped working. I sent it back under warranty to MFJ for the first repair. Now the meter has failed again and I am out of warranty. From what I can see on the schematic and the numerous user reports from other owners, I believe that D202 (1N34A) is the problem. When I removed the cover to look over the circuit board, I noted the components are facing the rear of the tuner case and you canít easily check for problems. It looks like a bit of work just to troubleshoot the meter circuit and repair it. As you have probably guessed, I am not too impressed with a tuner that needs repair [again].
KL7EU Rating: 3/5 Dec 20, 2013 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Not great, but acceptable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having read the reviews previously, I decided to open the cover on my new unit to inspect before using it. I found a piece of 2" long bare 18-ga hookup wire floating loose inside, which conceivably could cause problems. Most of the solder joints look ok but I will redo some. The quality of the caps and roller inductor is good but not "top drawer", they're just "ok". (no ceramic insulators are used, just cheaper material that looks like fiberglass) The winding on the balun looks to be a little carelessly's a little sloppy and loose on the toroid core. And, the indicated power from my TS-140S reads 120 watts into the built-in dummy load...about 20w too high. When I attempted to adjust the indicated power I found there is a 1/4" shaft directly in the way of the trim-pot can't access it...MFJ really screwed up in the location of that. I will temporarily remove the shaft to get this adjustment done, but just needing to have to do this on a brand-new tuner is really aggravating. This unit will do the job, but be prepared to do your own QC if you get one of these. My $.02 worth.
KE0Q Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2013 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a 989D Tuner from GigaParts. The price was very low and I decided to take a chance even after reading some poor reviews. When the tuner arrived I opened it up and thoroughly inspected everything--no loose parts and the solder joints were quite good. Even the finish of the cabinet was good and the lucite front panel is very nice. It's not a Cadillac and it's not meant to be, but it well laid out, and the controls are smooth.

I've only run it using 100 watts without any problems tuning a 43 foot vertical and an inverted L. One thing I do like is the meter in Peak Mode. It seems accurate and easy to read. When I get my amplifier I will will put the power to it and then write another review.

This is my third MFJ Tuner and I've had a number of other MFJ products over the years and never had any problem. MFJ fills a niche for the average Ham with equipment that is affordable. So far I'm satisfied.
KD8PIQ Rating: 0/5 May 19, 2013 19:14 Send this review to a friend
No good for 100W  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Used mine for about 6 months, the meters do not read power out, or reflection. I Payed over $50 to shit to MFJ, about 4 to 5 weeks later I received my tuner back from repairs. 5 min into loading the tuner, the meters died. My big FT-857D blew her up. After looking into the tuner, I found some of the worst solder work I have ever seen! Here is a link to the pic's I took of this crap repair job. FYI my SWR is 1.5
Just copy this, and paste to the browser address bar to view the pics I took.

VK7NRS Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2013 16:06 Send this review to a friend
It Works, But Teething Troubles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my shiny new MFJ-989D yesterday delivered ex HamCity in the US. Great people to deal with, prompt serevice, good communication and reasonable postage rates. It would be really great to be able to give a 5/5 for the 989D, and I would have except that the MFJ quality control has let them down again. On opening the carton, the first thing I did was check the dial and switches, and you guessed it,there was a problem, the roller inductor handle, when turned, was grinding and the counter was slipping. It just did not have a good feel to it. So, like many reviews I've read, it was immediately open up the cover. Inside I found that the nylon gears on the counter drive were not meshing, the counter was slipping, and more worrying was that inside rattling around was a loose nut. A thorough inspection revealed that the nut was a spare that had been left inside the case. Jammed into the wrong place while being operated, may have let the smoke out of the box. Anyway, faced with having to return the unit to the US for repair and the clearly high cost of doing so, I decided to have a go at repairing things myself. The issue was that the reset button on the counter had been shortened to allow it to fit, but had not been shortened enough and it was hitting the inside of the front panel and forcing the whole couter assembly away from the front panel. This had the effect of not allowing the small drive gear to mesh properly with the large gear, and also to prevent the counter from turining as it should. This was fixed by removing the counter assembly, using a pair of cutters to further shorten the reset button, and reassembling. Something so simple, and if the RI handle had been turned and checked post assembly in the factory, it would have been obvious. I'm told MFJ is manufactured in the US. This is a good thing given that it seems just about everything is made in China now. I like to support businesses keeping the stuff home grown, but please MFJ, some simple QC, especially for us overseas buyers. It works absolutely as it should, just some very avoidable teething issues.
WR0F Rating: 2/5 Apr 25, 2013 18:11 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 989D back from repair   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well after a 2 + months repair at MFJ we received our 989D back.The counter for inductance is back to its old ways of slipping having to be reset to Zero constantly and the top lid was scratched up badly on top and front edges for one that was perfect when we sent it in.I just got it back 3 days ago . I will say it tunes on 10 meters now .
Now the warranty is run out as it was in their hands about 70 days. It would still be sitting there if I did not call in and complain .I think I will fix it myself this time as soon as replacement lid gets here .
WB0UPD Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my third MFJ tuner and I started out in 1977 with a Dentron.

Anyway I purchased used from a ham who had owned for 5 years. It took it apart when I first received after reading the reviews on here thinking the worst. All looked good inside except for a loose connection on the long wire input. Remember this is a used tuner. I fixed that, and installed the required 9 volt battery.
You either need to have the 9 volt battery or a 12 volt DC power source connected, Before the meters will work! The meter light will not light with the 9 volt battery. I have about a 100 ft long wire strung up in my back yard and this tuner will tune it for every band, Including 10 meters. Would I buy again, yes.
WA3RSL Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Tunes my gutter 160-10 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I first received nt MFJ-989D, I opened it up and did an inspection and found all solder joints excellent and no loose or missing parts. I live in an apt with antenna restrictions. I load up my gutter by running a single 22 gauge wire out a hole in the side of house to the gutter downspount and connected there with an alligator clip. Can load any band and have no problems at all. I have several ground radials run inside my apt. I have an Elecraft KX3 that drives my Dentron MLA-2500 to 300 watts out, so that's the max power I'v ever run through the tuner. I like having the dummy load, it's useful as are the meter and coax switches. 73 all!