Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ETON E10 Help

Reviews Summary for ETON E10
ETON E10 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $130
Description: Compact am/fm/shortwave radio. 1.7-30MHz continuous coverage. No SSB. 7.4"x4.5"x1.3". 1lb 5oz.
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com

You can write your own review of the ETON E10.

LIGHTFOOT44 Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2010 13:35 Send this review to a friend
E10 works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for almost 4 years. It has so many functions, that one needs to have the product manual handy, lest one forgets how to program some of these functions. Reception wise, it is good to excellent, pulling in stations from as far away as Australia and Thailand, as well as North Korea and the Philippines. Radio Japan comes in as clear as a local station on the AM band.
The plastic flip stand, or "kickstand," as Eton calls it, broke after about a year, and I hardly ever used it. Thankfully, I was able to replace that and repair it myself, although it cost almost $17 with shipping included. I'm just glad that Eton carries replacement parts for AC power packs, antenna, and the kickstand.
I do love how the display numbers are large, and that it has a powerful backlight that can be set to be on just when you tune, or fulltime. This is a great function for older folks who might have difficulty reading small displays. Overall a fabulous radio, if you don't mind referring to the manual once in a while, and like the sound of a desktop radio, with the portability of a compact radio. It's actually a perfect combination of size, and function.

K0PD Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2009 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning a E 100 i spotted one of these and noticed it was a larger radio but not too large.So i bought one and am ever so glad i did.The recieve i feel is slightly better and the antenna that is attached with the radio works very good in fact so far i've felt no need to use the external antenna yet.I like the carrying case and the read out is large and easy on my old eyes.I'd give it a five but only because no SSB...

K1LGQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2008 10:57 Send this review to a friend
E 10 Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dennis - K1LGQ
Brookline, NH

I JUST wanted a radio I could listen to AM, MW (FM) and short wave--that's all. At the M.I.T. flea market last fall, I bought one from a fellow and I really held my breath whether it was a good radio or not. I have to say--YES, it's has all the features I wanted but one--CW/SSB. The CPU controller within makes owning this little baby fun and has over 30 features. Over 500 store memories are available and I don't think I'll ever use the first 100. AND, it is so simple to operate, but there are so many operations that you'll need the manual all the time. MAKE COPIES!

The batteries were a little short on life, but that's to be expected with 1100mA NiCds. I replaced the 4 with 2500 mA and it's running like a champ and I have yet to be some place and run out of "juice." The E 10 even has its own built-in charger for the NiCds. The antenna trimmer knob on the side has to be one of the best features for no matter what ShortWave frequency you listen to, the antenna trimmer will make it sharper and stronger. The E 10 doesn't have an S-meter, but it does have a 0 to 5 bar graph which indicates signal strength. Also, there was a 50 foot wire external antenna as part of the package which can be reeled in with just your finger tips. This is where the antenna trimmer really pays off tuning an odd length piece of wire. The sensitivity is sharp and the station just "fall into your lap." The audio is full and there is even a switch for HI and LO tones, and when you use your earphones...there is true stereo.

There are two alarm settings, however, but no alarm buzzer or beeper. A receive station can be programmed to come on but that's about it, and the second alarm can be set to go any time after the first. The E 10 is small enough to be placed in your beach basket, ski parker, or even just hanging onto the nylon wrist strape. Going on hikes into the mountains wouldn't be bothersome either. Very light and easy to carry.

There is a backlight you can program to come on and STAY on, or turn off within seconds. There is a timer save feature when you initially turn the radio on, inasmuch, you can just touch the ON button and what time you had previously set the command, it will turn OFF later. The timer can be set from 1 to 480 minutes after turn on. Come on--how could you forget to turn off a radio? If you're that type, this is a good feature, even up to 4 hours!

I wish I had bought two for this is a radio which can be a gift without hesitation. Do I recommend this for HAM use--no, but for just listening to AM/FM and SW frequencies--this radio has it all from .550 kHz up to 29.999 MHz. I say--go for it. I did.

de K1LGQ -- Dennis
Brookline, NH

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 20:01 Send this review to a friend
A pleasant surprise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really didn't need another radio but when Fry's was selling refurbs for $29.99 I couldn't resist. My rating is partially based on that price. Fry's has been selling refurbs for the last few weeks for $39.90, still a great deal.

I didn't think I'd ever buy a single conversion radio but the very clever IF shift really works. I have a local on 1490 (one mile away) and it moves the image from 580 (listenable station there) to 590 (no signal there). Images of really strong SW stations are very weak; definitely unexpected in a single conversion radio. SW reception is excellent off the whip and it handles an indoor wire with no problems. The wide filter is too wide but it makes for great fidelity on strong stations.

A couple of oddities. What's with the antenna trim? Why is it needed? Also the 1100mah AA NiMh (no, that's not a misprint) batteries. They were .70 VDC upon arrival and the radio wouldn't charge them. There are quite a few postings on Eton/Grundig Yahoo Groups from people who had the same experience. I charged them outside the radio the first time around and they've been fine ever since.

My main thing is MW DX'ing. This might seem like an unfair comparison but I put it up against my Kaito KA1103. The Kaito is a little more sensitive but the E10 is pretty damn close.

My rating would be lower if I'd paid full price, which is about $130.00. I don't think it's worth that. For another $20.00 the Eton E5/Grundig G5 are supposedly as good as the KA1103 (almost identical circuitry and both are built by Degen/Kaito) and have SSB reception (the E10 doesn't).

The E10 has exceeded my expectations. The build quality is excellent. I think it will replace the KA1103 as my travel radio.

M1MBZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2007 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for listening to am/sw broadcasts.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my hands on an Eton E10, first impressions are it's a nice looking radio, comes with the usual plastic fold out stand, has a nice large display.

The radio receiver is as sensitive as you'd expect a radio like this to be, tested using the AM broadcast band, found the receiver not to be noisy, was able to listen to distant AM stations during the day without straining, strong signals do cause distorted audio output, I live near a strong AM transmitter using 1548kHz and 1260kHz, at both frequencies I needed to reduce the antenna gain to local (as expected) to make the audio sound clear on these stations.

The local station on 1548kHz provided an excellent opportunity to test the IF shift function, as BBC world service can be heard on 648kHz, but often portable AM receivers cannot pick this up in this area due to an image of the 1548kHz transmission being there, well with this radio the image was on 639kHz, switching the IF moved the image to 648kHz so this feature while not needed in this instance, proved it can be effective at moving an interfering image signal away from the wanted signal.

Shortwave broadcast reception was as good as expected, the audio is good from the loudspeaker while using the built in whip, it must be noted that the receiver is AM only, does not receive SSB.

There is an antenna trimmer knob, which has an effect, it appears to increase or decrease the signal and noise level increases or decreases with it's use, however is this feature really necessary? None of my other sw receivers have this function, nor do they appear to need it either.

FM reception is okay, not as selective as the sangean ats909, distortion heard on most stations, not sure if this is due to the de-emphasis circuit not matching european specification, there is no 50Ás or 75Ás option, there is no mention of it in the manual.

What comes in the box:
The Eton E10 radio of course, with a soft pouch for travelling and keeping dirt and dust out of the radio when not in use.

Comes with 4x 1100mAh AA batteries, which can be charged by connecting the radio to the supplied PSU, and turning on the charge function.

Earphones and longwire supplied too.

Good points:
Full continuous coverage of SW band up to 29.999MHz
External antenna jack for SW/FM.
3 position rf gain control.

Bad points:
If you want to use the memory function, keep a paper copy of which station is stored where, with 550 memories it's easy to forget as there is no onscreen indication showing which memory location is used or not.

This radio is my number three shortwave receiver behind the sangean ats909, and the sangean ats605.

VE1BLL Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2007 17:02 Send this review to a friend
A keeper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these today for $39.96 at The Source (Canada). Unlike the YB400 I bought at the same time for the same price, the E10 is a keeper.

The build quality is very good, nearly Sony quality. The case has a rubberized feel. The switches and buttons have a decent quality to them (they do not feel cheap).

The performance is reasonable. It is sensitive enough and quiet enough that you can hear down into the atmospheric noise over most of the HF bands. There's plenty of adjustments including some sort of IF Shift (On/Off only) that might help with images.

It came with a set of NiMH rechargeable batteries but they appear to be past their prime. But similar batteries are available at discount shops for next to nothing so it isn't a significant issue.

The user interface is slightly complicated. This might not be the best radio for someone that doesn't enjoy such complications. But the basic functions are fairly intuitive.

I'll give it 4/5 (but this is on the portable radio scale).

TORONTOGUY Rating: 3/5 Jun 8, 2006 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Looks good on paper  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the YB-400PE, the E100 and the E5 so I was drawn to the E10 because of its impressive list of features. As people say: "It looked good on paper."
This is not to say that the E10 is a bad radio..it is just that it underwhelms.
I got better sensitivity from the little E100 on the whip antenna and, with an external antenna, I got better performance from the E5.
As expected, the YB-400PE speaker outperformed the smaller E10 speaker.
Battery life with the rechargables was another minor let down.
Overall it is a good radio but it is not in the same league as the YB-400PE or even the remarkable E5. I expect that I will be using the E100 as a travelling radio just for the size but the E10 will be close by.

LRDHEAT Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2005 19:55 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good sensitivity...similar to YB400. Easy to tune around...knob has only minor muting, tunes by 1 or 5KHz steps. Up/Down buttons tune by 5 or 100KHz steps. Also steps to beginning of each successive shortwave band if desired. 550 memories. Rarely use wide filter as narrow sounds fine, and is not narrow enough to block strong adjacent stations. IF stage toggles between 450 and 455KHz to diagnose whether or not one is listening to an IF image on this single het radio.

Radio has a setting for rechargables or traditional batteries in order to function at it's best as voltage in batteries drops off. I did notice that strong signals can splatter across a band as voltage drops off...fresh batteries seem to solve this issue.

Radio also allows user to tweak/trim the whip to perform optimally. I wish that there was a more objective means to discern if it is trimmed properly than tuning in a station that is fading in and out, and wish that the sweet spot was sharper. The best trim is nearly in the same spot for all sw bands.

Fine radio for major broadcasters. India, Iran, North Korea from home transmitters have been listenable as is BBC off of Singapore relay and VOA off of Philippines. Batteries seem to last. Easy size and weight to handle.