Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Smiley 2 meter Stubby Duck Help

Reviews Summary for Smiley 2 meter Stubby Duck
Smiley 2 meter Stubby Duck Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $16.00
Description: STUBBY TUNED DUCKS Super efficient VHf of UHf antennas. Strong and flexible, sealed in synthetic rubber and MPQ-2000 coverings. Available from 136 - 174 MHz 3db gain. This new flex coil matching network provides at band center low SWR as well as a + or - 5 MHz band center. (Example an antenna tuned at 146 being the band center, the antenna will perform the same between 141-151 MHz.)
More info: http://smileyantenna.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=32

You can write your own review of the Smiley 2 meter Stubby Duck.

NC5P Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2015 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Amazing for so small a size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this along with the 5/8 slim duck. Using both on the Motorola XTS2500 VHF. While not as high a performer as the 5/8, it is still quite decent. It's more sensitive to proximity to the body than the 5/8 as would be expected. Thus the 5/8 is probably better for holster use with the speaker mic. The stubby though is sure nice in the hand with it's small size. Makes a 2m radio look like your running 900 MHz. I'm glad I bought both.

KC0QBV Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2015 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For overall performance, I'm inclined to give this a "4". I definitely don't notice a large difference between this antenna and the stock antenna for my VX8-dr. But, then again, this antenna is roughly half the length and only cost $15 or so. Roughly equal performance in roughly half the size, is a win in my opinion.

Overall build quality is very nice. Although it is clearly a hand-made (and tuned) antenna, it is professionally constructed and the attention to detail is apparent.

I ordered the wrong mount, and the people at Smiley mailed me the correct mount (which I purchased) at a discounted shipping rate. First-class service like this deserves at least a half point increase in rating.

I will definitely buy more antennas from this company in the future.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2010 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Another excellent duck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Smiley stubby duck for over a year now and have been surprised by its performance, given its short length. A recent study I conducted of HT antenna matching shows this antenna (and other Smiley models) to be very well matched to 50 ohms on the two meter band. I think this good impedance match helps to account for its good performance-to-length ratio. A keeper.

AJ9J Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2009 17:00 Send this review to a friend
very good antenna for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my stubby duck a couple days ago. working great on my old Tempo s-15 i checked into a net 25 miles awayon 5 watts, my original duck wouldnt even bring it up,

N7TRZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2009 22:08 Send this review to a friend
The king of ducks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I mostly use slim ducks on 2m and 220, but I had crossmod issues with a FT-23 here in town which the smaller stubby helps a lot with. My enthusiasm derives from an incident where I hadn't locked the BNC onto the HT and the Smiley Stubby dropped to the ground as I entered my pickup. When I pulled out, I drove over it, then noticed it wasn't on the HT on the seat. I went back and found it on the ground. Except for a little dust, it was unharmed physically and electrically. I'm sold on them, and have several Slim Ducks on my collection of 2m and 220 radios.

KE5JKJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2007 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my Kenwood TH-K2AT in July. Although I got good results from the stock duck, I decided to try the Smiley Stubby Duck, based primarily on the one review I read here and comments made on other HT reviews.

But first, I purchased the SMA-to-BNC adapter custom made by Stephen Gulyas, KC2BHO, for this radio. The antenna works great but I am equally pleased with the BNC adapter, which is well designed and manufactured and unlike anything I found on any retail site. Email Stephen at gulyas@earthlink.net for more info.

I use the radio mostly while commuting to and from work inside a moving vehicle in a densely populated city with an abundance of noise sources.
Most of the repeaters I monitor are at least 10 miles away but if I can hear a station, they generally hear me loud and clear. I attribute that in part to a great little radio and in part to a great little antenna that has lived up to its hype. I gave it a 5 because it has clearly exceeded my expectations.

N8GSJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2005 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Really performs...  Time owned: more than 12 months

I received my TH-K2AT yesterday and after charging it I got my Smiley antennas out and as usual I was Wowwed by their performance over the stock antenna...With 1.5 watts there is no problem hitting the repeater quietly that the Yeasu VX2R could not get to with 1.5 watts...I just hit a repeater 35 miles away with the Smiley at 5 watts and could be understood at 1.5 watts...What really shocked me was driving right through Billings ,Mt with the VX2R trying to hear the NWS weather report where the signal originates and was struggling to hear it...The TH-K2A is full quiet 20 miles out of Billings on that same frequency using the Smiley Stubby duck antenna...The base of this antenna can be changed from BNC to SMA or whatever your radio needs...Very good product...
Gary