Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | PWRgate PG40S Help

Reviews Summary for PWRgate PG40S
PWRgate PG40S Reviews: 15 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: Battery isolator w/ charger
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/SuperPWRgate.htm

You can write your own review of the PWRgate PG40S.

CE3DNP Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Zero failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
This working 24/7 for over three years. When the power goes out is not noticed and even less with three batteries of 100 amp each. It really is wonderful and a very good investment. On the other side is a very good saving on the electricity bill.

KD7OED Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like an old Timex watch - it takes a licking and keeps on ticking! In service for 4+ years without a single problem during hundreds of simulated and real-world power failures (also a near-miss lightning strike that took out the switching power supply that was feeding the beast). Have conducted multiple tests on HF and VHF voice nets while switching off the power supply in the middle of transmitting a word and the receiving stations never noticed any difference in signal. The selectable charge rate is nice as I use it with a relatively low capacity SLA battery. Definately got my money's worth out of this product - will not hesitate to purchase a second unit if and when this one fails (now that I think of it - I probably will do so in the near term just to have a spare - the product is integral to my station and I can't imagine being without one).

W6CAW Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 08:15 Send this review to a friend
4 years, no problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these charging a 400 Ah bank of Gell cells for over 4 years at our fire department EOC. I run the radios directly off the batteries so only use the PG40S as a charger. These batteries were 2 years old when I got them and are still running strong thanks to the controlled charge of the PG40S.

KK4DDM Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Flawless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very impressed with this device after 3 weeks on it. I have two 33 Ah AGM batteries in parallel (~66 Ah) and this charges it in no time. I often forget to turn on my power supply and spend the whole day on batteries; when I switch to the power supply it is 100% seamless. Awesome product.

K7RFW Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2011 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Good company, good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these about 4 or 5 years ago from Powerwerx. Recently it was flaking out so I tried to get some help from Powerwerx but all I could get was "need 14.6 volts" (or something like that), so I ordered a new one, from Powerwerx. Well, in the process of testing it I must have reversed the battery leads and let the smoke out. All Powerwerx said was "Go see West Mountain Radio". When I told West Mountain what happened and that I might have goofed, how much to fix, they said "sounds like reversed power, RMA it", so I did. They sent me back a brand new one, no cost. THAT is customer care!

I use one on my HF radio with a 15 amp supply feeding a 52 AH battery and I have one on my VHF/UHF radio with a 4 amp supply and 7 AH battery. Both battery charging currents are kept in tolerance, even when I have a power outage and the batteries draw down. Plus, I do not have to worry about power outages. One day the XYL wondered what I did to the power, I did not realize the power was out and I was QSO'ing away on battery. And the discerning reader will realize that a 100 watt radio and a 50 watt radio will not work on those respective power supplies in transmit, but the PG40S/battery/power supply system will.

A nice inexpensive way to hook up a battery system that is charged from a power supply, yet isolated from power outages. Only wish there was a way to set the max voltage, but that would cost more. (Oh, my 53 AH battery was not holding a charge, that was what was wrong originally, so I have two PG40S's now.)

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2009 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Just what I needed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just what the Doc ordered for my shack. works perfect. I now have 2 more in service with the club repeater system. Can't be beat.

N2EHG Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2009 14:47 Send this review to a friend
great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 of these for quite some time. They work great. I currently use one to power my HF primary setup and another one for a second uhf/vhf/packet/gps only position. Used with Astron powersupplies and large Gell cell batteries

Think I will prob end up buying another so I can add more battery time to the pile of rigs at position 1. Folks at the company helped me with great patients setting up some unusual configurations. Product is really well built. I am very happy with the unit, perhaps i'll get a few more will at Dayton!

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2009 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3 PowerGates in service and have NEVER had anyone at WMR give we the smallest problem. always great to talk to, have worked out a couple items with no questions. The fellow saying to go elsewhere should tell everyone were we can buy the same item as a PowerGate for the same price. The folks at WMR are pretty good at customer service. Dont be scared away because one person seems to have had a bad experiance.

WD4MTW Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2009 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
My previous station's backup was modeled on the designs used in some of the GMDSS consoles that I was maintaining. Fast recovery,dedicated charger across a battery(ies)that was swiched into the distribution buss by a drop-out relay across the AC power supply's primary. Charging status was monitored by a Heart/Xantrex link 10. The system worked very well with only a glitch at switch over. When we moved into our present location, there was simply no room for a shack. Whatever could fit into a small computer armoire would have to do. Everything sat on hold for a while untill I seen the first powergate advertised. Only systems with diodes forming an OR gate that I've worked with had been trickle back-up supplies using resistors or bulbs to set the charge current. The lower loss of the schottky diodes looked interesting. Still no way to fit a high current charger and linear supply into such a small space. The PG40s changed that limitation along with a switching power supply. The combination with a Rigrunner 4008 mounted on the back wall allowed me to replicate the previous system along with the Xantrex battery monitor in a very low profile and compact manner with one optima bluetop AGM battery and have plenty of room to spare. Setup by jumper took minutes and the rest was wire distribution and crimping to finish the job. As the other's have noted, the only con is the powerpoles themselves. In my installation, they are hidden out of the way and not likely to get bumped. The system is running flawlessly along with a PC UPS for the computer. Power switch over to the entire station is seamless during an outage. Without the dual function of the PG40s's step charger, it would have been difficult to achieve the same capacity as before in a much smaller space.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2006 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I now have two of these units, one for a portable emergency VHF station (see http://www.wi-aresraces.org/emopportvhf.htm) and the other for a power module I plan on using for an emergency HF station. Since I use AGM batteries I adjusted the power supply output voltage upward and shorted the jumper inside each Powergate unit as per the instructions.

For the emergency VHF station I use an 18 AHr battery inside the station housing, with an external 33 AHr battery as a backup. An Astron SS-18 is the power supply. For the other setup I use a Group 24 80 AHr battery (brand name Werker from Batteries Plus) and an SEC 1223 power supply.

The battery voltage is monitored with either an analog Simpson meter or a slick tricolor LED circuit from Steve Weber KD1JV (slightly modified, see http://www.qsl.net/kd1jv/batmon.HTM).

I did a measurement and found that if the battery is connected to the PWRgate PG40S with no load there is still a small 0.5 mA drain from the battery. Since both of my setups are backups and I do not maintain a constant float charge, I now disconnect the battery when they are not in use and recharge the batteries every two weeks.

Pricy, but well-made and provides seamless transfer from power supply to battery. I agree with the previous reviewer's concerns about Powerpoles and heavy cables, but in my setups this has yet to become an issue.