Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | PAR Electronics, Inc EF-10/20/40 Help

Reviews Summary for PAR Electronics, Inc EF-10/20/40
PAR  Electronics, Inc  EF-10/20/40 Reviews: 92 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $59
Description: The EF-10/20/40 replaces the EF-20/40. Physically identical to the EF-20/40 (39' overall) it adds 10M operation. 25W power limit. No tuner is required.
More info: http://www.LnRprecision.com

You can write your own review of the PAR Electronics, Inc EF-10/20/40.

WB8VLC Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2015 13:24 Send this review to a friend
update on early review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I promised if I was wrong I would redo my earlier poor review and eat my words.

Some assortment of stupid errors but mostly using the efw 40/20/10 for the wrong use was my earlier problem.

I was trying 5 to 10 watts local, 300 to 500 mile, ssb when I found that 3000 to 10000 mile qrp ssb on both 40 and 20 were better.

Testing last nite running 5-10 watts on 40 ssb neted about 20 dx contacts from South cent America to numerous JA'S, SIBERIA, New Zealand and Hawaii.

Requesting honest reports responses were 53 to 59 from around 10 dx stations on 40 meter qrp ssb.

I had good results on 20 qrp ssb at 10 watts also with the honest report request generating 56 to 59 from South, Central Amer, South Pacific and Japan.

W2LJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2015 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for QRP Portable Ops  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the antenna from LNR about two years ago. I have used it for the QRP To The Field, Flight of the Bumblebees, NJQRP Skeeter Hunt, QRP Afield and the NoGA Peanut Power Sprint contests. I'm not out to win these, but to enjoy a day out in the fresh air and playing radio. The antenna performed very well for me. The goal here is to set up quickly, make lots of contacts and tear down quickly. I want to spend my time operating, and this antenna allows me to do just that. One tree or even a 31' Jackite pole is all that's needed. It is quality constructed, stores well in my QRP "Go Bag" and works well every time. I get a very acceptable SWR without the need for my KX3's autotuner and I end up working just about everyone I can hear - and I can hear plenty. Is it as good as a beam on top of a 60 foot tower? Heaven's - no! But for a day out in the field, I think you'll be very satisfied.

K8QV Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2015 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Works Very Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own other PAR endfed antennas and I have used this model as well, though I didn't actually own it. It seems to work great in the field no matter how you configure it (within reason!). So I just bought one.

I don't understand how someone can trash a product that has gotten 5 out of 5 rave reviews for years without realizing that the fault must with that one particular item, the coax, connectors or operator. Everybody else can't be so totally wrong about this antenna.

K1APA Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2015 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine installed at 12 to 15 feet across the deck to use in stealth mode due to my restricted environment. I run a KX3 at 10 watts in SSB mode and have no problem working many US, Canadian and even some Europeans stations. My bandwith with 1.1 to 1.2 SWR on 40 meters is narrow, but much wider on 20 and 10. I have had specially good luck on 10 meters when it is open. I trimmed it to proper length using an antenna analyzer.

Anyone not having good luck with this antenna either has a defective antenna matchbox or some other setup problem.

KC9PHX Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Performance-Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
What else can be said. They're amazing and worth every dollar.

(40/20/10 qrp version (25w (nice))
Fantastic results and can be used on other bands by by replacing the wire with a different wire length(40/20/10 matchbox only!). Use it on 17 and 15...perfect.

I used a FG-01a Antenna Analyzer to cut/tune for 1.2 or less across entire 20m and 10m band. Then cut the 40m portion to 1.0 at around 7.150...covering the entire band 40m with highest SWR around 1.6 at ends of band. Your mileage might differ.

I use at home and portable with a MFJ 9420/40 and TenTec R4020.

As mentioned in previous reviews and I agree, take the time to put it up in a few situations and use an Antenna Analyzer and trim the antenna. I mostly use it as a vertical or slope portable. Once cut correctly never need a tuner.

Amazing and I also have the 100 watt versions.
Go for it. Must have one of these.

N6PG Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2015 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great performance and well built  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was suspect of an endfed with no counterpoise, but I've had fantastic results using the trail friendly Par EndFedz. It's easy to deploy and well constructed. The wire gets pulled on when it's up in a tree, and it's holding up well. I have verticals, dipoles, etc... But this is now my favorite field antenna. And it packs up small..!!

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2014 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Zepp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my EF 40/20/10 for about a year now & use it as my secondary antenna at my home. I have not trimmed the antenna for 40 meters so my SWR on 40 is at 2:1 across the band. My MFJ 949e solves that problem. On 20 meters it is 1.3:1 and on 10 meters it is also 1.3:1. It even has an SWR on 12 meters of 1.5:1 and on 18 meters 2:1. Here's the key to this antenna: it is a Zepp in which the center conductor of the feedline coax radiates RF through the antenna while the outer skin of the coax feedline radiates RF as common mode current. Therefore aligning the feedline is critical. Keep it away from metallic objects and run the feed line, in as much as possible, in a horizontal configuration off the ground. Since it is limited to 25 watts (per the manufacturer) there shouldn't be a problem with RF exposure. However, I use an MFJ-915 1:1 isolator near the transmitter just in case. This is a very competent antenna for a Zepp.

NY4Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2014 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my 'trail friendly' antenna last week. Put it up yesterday, trimmed it using my Rig Expert antenna analyzer, and went on the air.
I am located in Northern CA, and got my father in Tampa, FL on both 40 and 20 meters. I was coming in a solid S9 to Tampa. I am so surprised such a tiny package can pack such a wallop. I just ordered a second PAR antenna to use for a permanent installation. Can't say enough good about this antenna.

Bob Smith NY4Y

NK5G Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2014 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent End Fed Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the 10/20/40 antenna for about a year. I have the antenna mounted on the back of my house at just 15 feet sloping down to 6 feet with only short run of coax into the shack. I put it there as a quick and dirty antenna for digital modes on 20 and 40.

I used it for the 2014 CQWW WPX CW contest in QRP category for 20 meters. Comparing it to my other antennas, I was rather impressed how well it performed with such low power and not very high off the ground. Running S&P I worked all over Europe and Japan with ease.

As described,these antennas make for excellent portable antennas, but can also be a good solution for those is HOA restricted areas as the match box and 18 gauge wires can easily be hidden.

I have not yet tried the 100 watt versions, but if they perform like the 25 watt version and placed higher than mine, you will be pleased.

AE7UT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2014 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Best portable antenna for camping and SOTA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the EF-10/20/40MKII for over a year now. I've used it on numerous camping trips and SOTA activations.

I'm always impressed with this antenna when I use it. I turn off my internal tuner on my KX3 and always get an SWR <1.5:1. I've tested it against a Buddipole, Alpha antenna, AlexLoop, EARCHI end fed, SotaBeams dipole and a ZS6BKW. The LNR performed as well as the dipole and ZS6BKW and was significantly better than the others. In terms of ease of deployment it blows all the competition away.

I've used my antenna in rain, wind, sand storm and snow. The only thing that harmed it was me. I recently broke the choke in my backpack. I know it was my fault.... but after calling LNR they are sending a new one for free. They said it should have withstood even my carelessness.

So a great antenna for a great price. Every ham should own one.