Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ETON E100 Help

Reviews Summary for ETON E100
ETON E100 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $100
Description: Pocket sized am/fm/sw radio. 4.9" X 3" 1.2" dimensions, 7.4 oz., 2 AA batteries. Continuous sw range 1.711-29.999 MHz. 200 memories. Direct keypad entry, slew, and tuning knob options for tuning.
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com

You can write your own review of the ETON E100.

KJ4KKI Rating: 4/5 Jun 1, 2012 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Not a Bad Radio at All.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these on sale back around 2006, with a Grundig Mini 300PE. I used the Mini, until it died. I liked the quick tune wheel on it, and I think it sounded a little better on FM (maybe?) with the external speaker. Anyway, that noted, this little radio has a lot going for it. The digital tuning in spot-on. The battery life indicator is handy, as is the on/off lock. The ability to have presets is nice also. My only gripe is that it is slow to scan. I'm listening to it with headphones right now. I don't really use it around the house, as my HF rig and 40m antenna are what I use for listening to SW. But, not-withstanding the lack of $1,000 circuitry and a antenna stretching over most of my yard...the antenna and receiver do a pretty decent job. I've actually made a long wire antenna for it out of wire and an alligator clip. It didn't seem to make a huge amount of difference. This is a throw-n-go radio, such as for camping, paddling, etc. It would be suitable for taking to a ball game. Basically, I haven't given it the high praise that some have, but if it is being phased out, I hope there is a suitable replacement, because it is a really nice little radio.

KD8HRS Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2009 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine used in a trade for a 40ch. am cb almost 3 years ago. Its never given me any problems and I listen to it everyday! Although it doesn't have sideband or cw reception, the receive overall is very sensitive. Battery life is great, it's small,has a external 3vdc jack,200 memories, and is super for am broadcast band dx'ing and listening to the am nets on the amateur bands as well as cb radio. If you find one of these used at a good price give it a try! A+

KWV8DA Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 13:39 Send this review to a friend
great rx...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
the e-100 is solid buy for a tiny portable. sw/fm
is great, and bcb/am is almost as good.i used this
radio inside my van, on the armrest with the antenna all the way up, and got solid sw signals.
none of my sangeans can compare. this radio is being closed out, and can be had for 50.00 if anyone looks around. half the price of the new g-6
the other reviews are right on.

QRPNUT Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2008 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Sweet!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like this radio so much, I bought a spare. I do a lot of traveling and this unit packs in the most in the least amount of room. Most impressive is it's robust audio with no distortion even at full volume. The only drawbacks I find with this radio are a rather "stiff" keypad and an rather unintuitive memory entry system.

VE3EFJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 2, 2007 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice 'lil radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine at Dayton during a Radio Shack closeout (or perhaps firesale). For about $35 in the bag, I am very impressed. It does not do SSB. The user interface for a radio this size is excellent. Performance is good, and for a radio that runs from but two AA batteries the sound quality and volume is good. Do I miss the SSB? Most portables that I've run across do it so poorly, why bother? In that case, its not missed. Its really not the kind of radio meant to be tuned around "hunting" for a station. Rather, you should punch in the frequency and listen.

A rating on a radio such as this is always related to price. Its stable, selective, sensitive and the user interface is quite well done for the radio's size. I'm amazed at what I can pick up on 6 and 9.5 MHz with the radio sitting on my table and the whip extended. No complaints.

KF4WDZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2007 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding pocket portable for use as a "walkman".  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is what I was hoping the Grundig YB-550/ Tecsun PL-230 would be, but it was a bit too big. The E100 almost the same radio, but it's smaller. The performance is exactly the same.

I was looking for a walkman type radio with more volume and better performance than your run-of-the-mill AM/FM kind. To me the SW bands are just an extra as it has no SSB circuit. As a walkman it's EXCELENT. Outstanding sound and reception and just the right size to fit in a pocket. Crystal clear sound with a tone switch. The tone switch is effective in that it rolls off the treble in a way that's very pleasing to my ear. There is also enough volume to really rock a pair of Koss Porta-Pros. It's only drawback is that it doesn't use the headphone cord for an FM antenna. It's sensitive enough that it's not much of an issue, though.

VE3NYZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2007 08:38 Send this review to a friend
excellent receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great portable radio with excellent receive abilities.
Good construction and very compact.

WQEP615 Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2006 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great radio! Excellent reception. I liked the fact that tuning was digital and even has a digital S-meter. The baclight was helpful and I'm glad they have included a "lock" button which prevents accidental power-ons while traveling. I wish it had an external antennae jack but it does have 3 levels of attenuation. Extremely detailed operation manual. Nice vinyl protective pouch. I paid $70 for it on sale at Radio Shack.

KITKAT Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2006 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Best Deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Eton E 100 is one GREAT radio.You are shocked at how well it pulls in the stations.It will pick up every one that the E 10 will because I have tested it.This little radio is fun to use and is very well made with a very firm antenna that you can move around to pick up the stations. You can not go wrong in buying the E 100. I love the feel of this radio.

TORONTOGUY Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2006 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Good Thing..Small package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted something that I could easily carry in my pocket. At first I tried the Grundig Mini300, which was small enough but the analog tuning was finicky. I wanted a direct entry digital tuner in a small package.
I investigated the YB550PE but it was too big and so I chose the E100. I have not regretted it.
MW sensitivity is acceptable and FM stations come in quite well. Even the little speaker, produces nice sound.
It is certainly more solidly than the YB550 (which felt a bit cheap).