Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-430S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-430S
Kenwood TS-430S Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $400.00 without filters or PS
Description: Kenwood TS-430S all Mode ,all Band HF transciever
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/ts430s.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-430S.

KB9MRK Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2013 10:35 Send this review to a friend
A Great old rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Ts430s is really a great rig. The one thing that I like about it is the fact it is easy to work on. Most of the problems with these rigs are very easy to fix and usually are loose connectors. If you get one in good shape they have very good receive and transmit. They are simple to operate and very solid. I installed the A.M and SSB filter in mine, also I got an F.M board installed as well. The AM filter is really worth it if you like to listen to Shortwave and such...Makes a huge difference. This rig is under-rated in my opinion, it does have some short-comings, but really for an old rig they are simple fixes and so much info on the internet is available. For the price... Well you cant go wrong, and is most likely the best bang for the buck for a used old rig.

GM8GIQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 09:30 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB OLD RIG  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One of the best rigs I have used.
Great receiver and excellent transmit audio.
Easy to use, must be getting old but prefer to use this than my 897D because of lack of menus.
Everything you want at the press of a button.
Bargain buy if you can get one buy one you will not be sorry.

KB2BAF Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2012 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for it's age  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got to tell you, I bought my 430 in 1986 and it has worked flawlessly ever since. After 26 years, it still has full output. The alignment is still right on the money and all functions work. Yes, it's a simple rig and doesn't have the bells and whistles that other rigs have but it has that great Kenwood audio. I use a Sennheiser MD421 mic with it and I always get great audio reports. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the AGC speed, which tends to be a little slow. It's only really noticeable after unkeying with the amplifier on. Bear in mind it's not adjustable on this rig. It takes about 2 seconds for the level to come back up to normal. Under normal recieving conditions it's fine, though. Other than that, I can't complain about a thing with it. After all these years, to never have a problem and still be well aligned is amazing. I will use it as long as it works or if I die first. If you are looking for a good, solid starter rig and can find one that is working well, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2012 23:19 Send this review to a friend
Ideal nostalgia rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have not been a fan of Kenwood since some bad experiences with their early equipment.
But, having seen a forlorn looking TS430S at a hamfest which no one seemed to want, I decided to adopt it.
It had not been used for six years, was obviously used mobile for many years, and looked and smelled like a camels armpit.

For the price, I thought I would try to restore it to working condition, or junk it for spares.
Well, when I powered it up, it worked fine, and has continued to do so for the last six months.

Now cleaned up and de-odorized it has performed really well for such an abused rig.
I have been very impressed with its performance and ease of use, and it is actually fun to use.
It is also small and someone has put the wideband transmit on, so it is ready for any new WARC bands as well.

If you are looking for a starter vintage rig, or a nostalgia rig, with a small footprint, this is a great little rig.

Oh - and after using this rig, Kenwood has been redeemed in my eyes.
If they have continued the legacy of this rig in their new offerings, I will put them on my short list for my next new rig.

73 - Rob

WB1AAL Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2012 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Time Radio--They Just Knew How To Build Them!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've generally been happy with just about every Kenwood product that I've purchased. This includes several different Kenwood stereo products and a two-meter mobile. So when I saw a pristine Kenwood TS-430S, fully loaded and with power supply, in the used equipment section at Universal Radio--well, it was love at first sight.

Have you ever had a radio call your name and ask to come home with you? That's what the TS-430S did. (Yes, I am an otherwise sane individual.) I had even left the store and gotten into my car to drive home when the rig called me back inside.

Let's face it, they just knew how to build decent radios in the 1980s. True, they lack the bells and whistles of today's rigs. But sometimes that's a good thing. I love my modern Alinco and Yaesu gear, but the user manual is a necessity especially for those less often used but never-the-less important features. I always keep the Alinco and Yaesu PDFs of the user manuals nearby and handy on my iPad for these two state-of-the-art rigs.

Not so with rigs of the same generation as the TS-430S. They somehow were more intuitive to operate. They managed to get the job done in a much more simple and straightforward manner. Frankly, there is just something pleasing about that. As other reviewers have said on eHam, you can operate this rig in just a few minutes and the manual is optional.

Once at my home and connected up in the shack, the TS-430S did not disappoint. Neither did the signal or audio reports from the other hams who I QSOed with on CW and SSB. The receiver is sensitive, selective and sweet sounding. The transmitter is rock steady with a solid measured output of 110 watts on all bands except for 10 meters where it runs 95 watts.

I am saving the link to the eHam reviews of the Kenwood TS-430S. I will use it to re-read my review and the other eHam reviews of this marvelous rig. Should I ever be tempted to do so, the link will serve as a reminder never to sell this rig. It's too much of a sweetheart and a winner!

K4TMN Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2012 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig and easy to maintain.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remember when I got my Novice ticket, that I lusted over a TS-430S. Many hams used the TS-430S and the TS-130 as mobile rigs. The TS-430S was almost always brought out on field day.

These days this excellent rig is available from $250 to $450, depending on what it comes with and what filters it has inside.

I had one, added filters, fixed the little problems that it had and used it for years. Then I decided to get a modern rig and sold my trusty TS-430S. That was a mistake. I eventually decided to get another one, and again added the filters and fixed the little things like the dial light, relays, and memory battery. It works great - so great that I bought another one to use on field day and to have as a backup.

It doesn't have a TCXO, and doesn't really need one. I love the sound, sensitivity, and feel of this old rig. It is a great rig for general SSB and CW. I also love to listen to AM, since it also has the AM filter.

You can spend more for an inexpensive general coverage receiver, but why - when you can have a transceiver with general coverage receive?

This is one of my favorite rigs of all time. It is easy to repair, and is one of the best designs of a small sized, full power transceiver.

NA5XX Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2011 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Great field radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio as a field radio. It is simple to use and sounds great. It lacks DSP and this is possibley the only fault you can give it. As a field radio, any one can sit in front of it and be operating in 3 min. If you can find one, buy it.

ON1VHF Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the rig second hand in 1994. After 17 years, I'm still delighted with this radio. Had only a couple a birdies on all bands that was fixed by Kenwood very quickly. Pity with this rig, is that you just can't let it go for a new one. Receiver selectivity is very good, audio is crisp and power is still there. After all what has been said, not much to add. Only drawback is that you can't adjust the transmitting power to drive a small linear with less than 100W. Other than that, simply a great radio, very simple to operate and one of the best you could get for a reasonnable price.

N8RNA Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2011 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Kenwood about a year ago from the family of a SK. (I apologize but have forgotten his call) I have had a couple of 10 meter rigs and my share of VHF/UHF toys also. The receive is pretty darn good and I can talk to whoever I can hear. I have had great audio reports. With my location I only wish I had more antenna heigth and an amp haha. But all in all I have to say, the radio does a good job on 10 thru 80. The tuner won't attempt to tune on 160 and that may be the antenna. Not sure as it could be that the tuner just won't tune 160 for some reason. But that is fine as normally 40 meters gives me all I want :)

I would highly recommend this radio to anyone wanting anything from a starter radio clear thru to the last radio you will ever buy. I am happy...

KI4OWV Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2011 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Timex should learn from this rig...  Time owned: months
I carry a TS430s, in a samsonite case, W/a couple of dipoles,Astron SS-30m power supply,a 2 amp computer supply for receiving, and a few misc. jumpers etc. Picked up a boat in Florida. I'm a marine mechanic and I transfer boats from place to place. Had a boat owner tell me to take my "ham junk" back to my cabin and don't hook it to his $5000.00 + radio system. I complied. Off of Savanna, Ga. His ICOM type-accepted rig puked. The owner asked me if my ham rig would work on the marine ssb freq's. I advised him it would but I could not operate it unless it was a dire emergency. BUT - I could set it up for him. He used the TS430-s all the way to Wilmington, NC. Then tried to buy my "ham junk". He said he had never heard marine ssb that clear. HeHeHe...Is it as good as a '756 PRO III?, Or a MK V field? Nope. Is it a bullit-proof rig? Without a doubt. Easily serviced, All mods available. AM SUX without an AM filter. (the radio defaults to the SSB filter). 2.8 khz ssb, the am filter is 6 khz. Mine ain't for sale. AND - It does transmit out of the "ham bands". I would not buy a rig if it would not "go out of the ham bands" 'Course if you guys ain't expecting an emergency - You don't need "out of band" capability". My TS430-S is pure junk. But then again - my HQ129-x is too. Maybe I'll catch you on the air with my Swan 500....73 de KI4OWV......