Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-430S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-430S
Kenwood TS-430S Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $400.00 without filters or PS
Description: Kenwood TS-430S all Mode ,all Band HF transciever
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/ts430s.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-430S.

ON1VHF Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Nice performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the rig second hand in 1994. After 17 years, I'm still delighted with this radio. Had only a couple a birdies on all bands that was fixed by Kenwood very quickly. Pity with this rig, is that you just can't let it go for a new one. Receiver selectivity is very good, audio is crisp and power is still there. After all what has been said, not much to add. Only drawback is that you can't adjust the transmitting power to drive a small linear with less than 100W. Other than that, simply a great radio, very simple to operate and one of the best you could get for a reasonnable price.

N8RNA Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2011 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Kenwood about a year ago from the family of a SK. (I apologize but have forgotten his call) I have had a couple of 10 meter rigs and my share of VHF/UHF toys also. The receive is pretty darn good and I can talk to whoever I can hear. I have had great audio reports. With my location I only wish I had more antenna heigth and an amp haha. But all in all I have to say, the radio does a good job on 10 thru 80. The tuner won't attempt to tune on 160 and that may be the antenna. Not sure as it could be that the tuner just won't tune 160 for some reason. But that is fine as normally 40 meters gives me all I want :)

I would highly recommend this radio to anyone wanting anything from a starter radio clear thru to the last radio you will ever buy. I am happy...

KI4OWV Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2011 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Timex should learn from this rig...  Time owned: months
I carry a TS430s, in a samsonite case, W/a couple of dipoles,Astron SS-30m power supply,a 2 amp computer supply for receiving, and a few misc. jumpers etc. Picked up a boat in Florida. I'm a marine mechanic and I transfer boats from place to place. Had a boat owner tell me to take my "ham junk" back to my cabin and don't hook it to his $5000.00 + radio system. I complied. Off of Savanna, Ga. His ICOM type-accepted rig puked. The owner asked me if my ham rig would work on the marine ssb freq's. I advised him it would but I could not operate it unless it was a dire emergency. BUT - I could set it up for him. He used the TS430-s all the way to Wilmington, NC. Then tried to buy my "ham junk". He said he had never heard marine ssb that clear. HeHeHe...Is it as good as a '756 PRO III?, Or a MK V field? Nope. Is it a bullit-proof rig? Without a doubt. Easily serviced, All mods available. AM SUX without an AM filter. (the radio defaults to the SSB filter). 2.8 khz ssb, the am filter is 6 khz. Mine ain't for sale. AND - It does transmit out of the "ham bands". I would not buy a rig if it would not "go out of the ham bands" 'Course if you guys ain't expecting an emergency - You don't need "out of band" capability". My TS430-S is pure junk. But then again - my HQ129-x is too. Maybe I'll catch you on the air with my Swan 500....73 de KI4OWV......

KB0HAE Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Great older radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second TS-430S. I sold the first to keep the bills paid, and really regretted it. This one was sold by the son of a ham who was a silent key. The case halves need repainted, but I was very pleased when it arrived and I discovered it has the narrow SSB and AM filters. The Kenwood radios from that era have very good RX and TX audio, better than many modern radios. I ran the previous TS-430S side by side with an Icom 706mkii (with DSP). I liked both radios, but ended up using the TS-430S for HF most of the time because it had better RX and TX audio.

It is a very well built radio and easy to work on. I don't even need a microscope! Mine only required a few controls to be cleaned with Caig DeOxit D5. Common problems (and fixes) are well documented. The radio works very well on SSB voice, and digital modes. I have no doubts at all that I will always want a TS-430S in my shack!

ZS5WC Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2010 02:24 Send this review to a friend
Technicians Delight!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot of hams dislike the TS-430s because of it's reputation of dry joints, bad via's etc.. Here is my take on it: Any guy with a bit of patience, and a bit of tech. savvy can restore them to their former well performing glory.
Here is why I say this:
I recently purchased for a small price, a very sad looking TS-430s from a ham at the coast. It had been for sale for over 3 years-nobody wanted it-it was very much neglected , rusted and not working-even the plated knobs and mic. socket was GREEN with oxidisation!.
Daunting to say the least..
So having jumped off the deep end I decided since I have nothing to lose-this rig will get a proper once-over.. I removed the covers, removed the 'S'-meter and coin cell, popped the whole rig in the dishwasher!..After the washing cycle was done, rig was dried with a compressor, then a blow heater was used to further dry any wayward moisture. After this was done, the PA was repaired, I installed new MRF454 trannies, all the ovious dry joints and via's were resoldered.
All moving parts; fan, pots etc were re-lubricated.
Then the other PCB's were inspected and resoldered, plugs were removed with lubricating contact cleaner and re-seated.
Front face had to be epoxied to fix chips out of it and painted, the covers were sanded to bare metal and resprayed.
After getting the rig working, the alignment was done, and bias set..
She works VERY well now!..

If ANY rig in that state can still work that well, after being that abused-then it is GOOD!Hence my Rating of 5.
Would not have expected any less from a Kenwood.

William
ZS4L / ZS5WC

N3HAM Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2010 08:58 Send this review to a friend
They Keep Going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have two, one of which I've had for over twenty years. The receivers on them are just fine, easy to listen to all day, I don't find them particularly noisier than any other of my rigs.I can copy down to the noise floor with these. Most of the noise problems we urban hams have is locally generated. Maybe some people judge older gear by some of the beaters to be found out there. Give it a 2? No way! As I said in my first review, I never tire of running my 430s and I suspect that should I get a new toy to play with, I will always keep one and use it. My Yaesu FT990 on the other hand could be outta here!

LW8DJI Rating: 2/5 Oct 11, 2010 09:38 Send this review to a friend
just for starters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had two of these radios, I do not like. noisy receiver. many problems of poor contact on board. connectors between the board does not work. transmitter acceptable. good power. only if you pay very little money and as for beginners with patience and some electronics knowledge. in Argentina to this day price is 350 usd

ON4LDU Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2010 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
1 month I use it with all filter inside and working very fine. The cw narrow filter is very sharp and doing a great job.
Nice transceiver with easy interface and no menus.
Just a little sensible with swr and power diminution.
Very pleasant transceiver and attractive price in second-hand (+-300,00USD). Just check you have all filters inside.

FORMER_KC6O Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2009 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Right Alongside The TS-520S  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a sweet little rig. Does everything nicely. Not a TS-950, neither is it in the same price range.

Smooth, warm sounding rig with a friendly and easy to use face.

Loved mine. Miss it. Used to have it alongside the 520 and it was in use more often than was the beloved 520.

Also, I wanted to offset the moronic 0/5 and 1/5 erroneous ratings.

2E0XOM Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2009 19:04 Send this review to a friend
nice old skool set  Time owned: more than 12 months
simple to use just the radio for a started radio for hf