Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-430S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-430S
Kenwood TS-430S Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $400.00 without filters or PS
Description: Kenwood TS-430S all Mode ,all Band HF transciever
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/ts430s.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-430S.

KC2QYM Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2009 10:22 Send this review to a friend
For what it is it works fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The 430 I have was a gift from a local senior center HAM radio club as it was surplus to them. Therfore I can't comment on cost vs. performance; only on performance. Without any problems at all I have worked Africa and Europe. Mated with a hand me down Turner 251 microphone I have received endless Great sugnal/audio reports. OK the AM reception is muddy and I have to use an external SWR meter but this thing just keeps on ticking and she puts out just fine. The receive on SSB is great as mated with an old 12" speaker. Kenwood is to be commended for a simple to use die hard rig that I have have not one problem with.

WA8MEA Rating: 3/5 Feb 25, 2009 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Have had better....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the age of this unit, I have had better results with numerous other rigs from the same era. My Icom IC-745 keeps plowing along.

However, this quirk with the PC board around the final amp transistors is a pain to deal with. I bought the unit in mint shape from "The Ham Station" in Evansville, IN for a song. Worked good for a couple of months and then the reports of audio distortion started happening, along with varying output and erratic ALC levels. (Like the X-Box "Ring of Death". You know exactly what the issue is and it makes you mad....)

If you are looking for a $300 to $400 used rig, look for other rigs that don't have this quirk. There are plenty of them out there.

26TM119 Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2008 00:49 Send this review to a friend
IT,S A KEEPER  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had my ts-430 now for 3 years,chance purchase on evil-bay after reading reviews on here.well they were right it,s a cracker,i have the narrow ssb and uprated am filters installed and the variable power mod so i can run neighbour friendly outputs.easy controls and a good speech processor/mike combo(astatic teardrop)it really booms out.i intend to keep this one!

N3HAM Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2008 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Never Tire of Running It  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think it's about time I wrote a review. If an inanimate object could be one of your best friends, then this is one of mine. I have tons of QSOs mostly CW with this rig since first aquiring it used back in '89 when I finally got my ticket. It's been a workhorse with not much of a problem except for the intermittant PA problem which was fixed after watching N4DA's maintainence video. After a botched AM filter install (by me), I had to get it repaired (N4DA). It's back and working fine now. AM receive now is crisp. It always seemed immune to the RF interference that surrounds me. Thats more than I can say of my FT990. I just bought my elmer's 430, he moved 'up' to a 450. Yes I have two other make rigs with menus that are nice in their features, but I'm reading about some of the not so user friendly menus in the newest rigs. Not for me or my style of operating. I don't think I'm making a mistake owning two of these.

WA4UF Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2008 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Good second/portable rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was looking for a second HF rig for portable/vacation use, as my TS-830s is a bit cumbersome to pack on long trips. I was tired of pulling the FT-100 out the car. The target rig was the Elecraft K2, but it's too rich for my hobby budget. After reading a slew of reviews I set my sights on the TS-430s. There were several TS-430s offered at the 2007 Orlando hamfest; I bought one in ok cosmetic shape at a good price that included the matching power supply. When I cracked it open to install a narrow sideband filter I discovered that it also had the FM board. Sweet!

I take the 430 with me when I'm traveling, along with an MFJ tuner and a twinlead-fed 40m dipole. It does the job very nicely; it works as well and sounds about as good as my 830, and only takes up half the space in the trunk. It's very easy to move from one Kenwood to the other, as the controls and capabilities are about the same. The 1.8KHz sideband filter, combined with the notch and IF shift, made the 430s much nicer to use for Field Day than the FT-100, especially in the feeding frenzy on 20m.

I strongly recommend picking up a TS-430s if you're in the market for a solid used rig for portable use, or if you haven't that much real estate for a ham shack at home. I'm even toying with picking up another one to put in my car in place of the FT-100.

N4VNV Rating: 3/5 May 14, 2008 04:41 Send this review to a friend
KEEP PWR DOWN FM  Time owned: more than 12 months
With 10M band soon to start opening up, thought I had better send out this tip. It could save you some grief, as the FM boards are probably hard to find now days.
I purchased my Kenwood TS-430S when they first came out, the Winter of 1982. Twice my 10M FM board burnt out. Keep your power down to 40 watts if you tend to be longwinded. 10FM is loads of fun but the circuit board is VERY susceptable to heat. Keep a fan on it. I loved this rig but have moved on to the TS-2000.

K4LVR Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2008 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Dependable, A great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
My TS430S, purchased new in 1985, was my first brand new, manufacturer assembled HF rig. I still have the factory shipping box and packing!

I splurged at AES Clearwater... The 2.1kHz SSB filter, the 400Hz CW filter, the FM module, the mobile mount. All the options!

It has been the best investment ($400 plus a TS-130 trade) that I have ever spent on ANY amateur radio device in 32 years in the hobby!

This TS430S has worked flawlessly since 1985, at home with wires, then beams, then in my car, working Australia and Scotland with a Hamstick on 15 meters while commuting home from work, on my sailboat loading the backstay with a tuner during the Gasparilla Celebration in Tampa, in a rental truck on a trip to New Orleans and back, in contests as late as 2006 and many FD's since the late 80's.

Not a wimper, not a glitch. Always there. Always reliable. Always consistently good performance.

While it does not compare with my newer radios, using it just feels right. All the controls are where you expect them to be and work as you expect them to work.

I recently had it serviced and it works as new. My last trip with it was to my in-law's in Pennsylvania, where it traveled in a Pelican case with an MFJ autotuner and a G5RV and was knocked all around by AirTran both ways. No problems! My friends back in Florida were treated to solid 10 over 9 signals on 40m to their amazement.

I had not used since last summer, it was still in the Pelican case. Took it out last night, plugged it in, and it was like old times... No issues, no problems, just solid performance.

The audio, as always, garners compliments from stations I work. I use a Heil BM5/DX4 boomset which matches the radio audi characteristics perfectly.

Working split is a bit cumbersome, but useable (I miss the TF-SET button on my 850) and the IF shift is primitive, but the filters do amazing things in QRM for its design age.

Simply put, if you can find one in good shape from someone that you trust, you wont be sorry.

And no, I will not sell you mine! If this thing had a computer control interface, It would still be my main HF transceiver.

Do the math. $700 outlay, used for 22 years and over 25 thousand QSO's with $125 invested in service. That's true value for the money.

Lu - W4LT

CX6AV Rating: 2/5 Jan 10, 2008 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Mediocre  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ancho en recepción sin filtros opcionales, problemático en la salida de RF cuando existe R.O.E. inmediatamente se le incendia una resistencia del modulo de salida.Noise Blanker de adorno e inutil como casi todos los Kenwood de los 80s. y 90s.,lo único que hizo bueno la kenwood en esos años fueron los Receptores como el R1000,R2000 y R600.
Muy bonito de terminaciones,pero Yaesu y Icom de esa época fueron muy superiores...Lo tuve 3 meses y lo vendí.

KD7YVV Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2007 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Takes a licking.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this rig from my uncle in law when I
upgraded to General. He's been trying to get it
back since. :)
Very nice radio. I ordered an IC-7000 from HRO
and ended up sending it back.
This 430 just takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
The receive was opened up to receive below 150 khz.
Lots of NDF beacons from all over the place down
there.
The audio is excellent, and I always get great
audio reports.
I wish there were a way to filter out the hash
you hear on HF as it can get tiring to hear at
times, but for a radio its age, it's one of the
better ones out there.
As others have said, the AM is a little muddy
but for it's time, it was one of the best.
Full 100 watts out into a dipole and a tuner
with no problems.
When I first got the radio, I didn't have an HF
antenna or tuner, but I was curious to see what
I could hear. A piece of speaker wire 8 feet long
stuck into the antenna jack and laid out on the
living room floor pulled in some really good
signals.
I hope this radio can go another 20+ years because
I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

KD6MXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2007 15:10 Send this review to a friend
A friendly buddy  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 430 is over 22 years old and going strong. It has been on CAP search missions in the field when new and been a joy to have in the shack on 20 meters. Great audio and constant 5/9 contacts using a dipole. I do have the matching tuner. I do wish the noise blanker was more functional but that has been a minor complaint. Would like to know how to connect Kenwood SM-220 for band and reception monitoring. I prefer this old friend over my ICOM706mkiig (use primarily for 6 meters in the shack and my Motorola MICOMii. Good signal and transmit reports all the time. KD6MXE