Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-430S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-430S
Kenwood TS-430S Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $400.00 without filters or PS
Description: Kenwood TS-430S all Mode ,all Band HF transciever
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/ts430s.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-430S.

4Z5LA Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2002 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Realy Nice tranceiver!

KC6EDM Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2002 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently picked up a TS-430S with matching power supply, antenna tuner, speaker, and microphone and have to say that this is quite a nice rig. My goal was to get a reasonably priced complete HF system for under $1000.00, yes I'd love to have an ICOM 756 PROII or Yeasu Mark 5, but weighing cost with value I'm very happy with this radio. In fact after listening to the 756 PROII and comparing the audio and sensitivity it seems that the TS-430S is "easier on the ears" in that it isn't noisy to listen too, but does pick up the faintest signals. The rig has everything you could want, except DSP - but I'm so pleased with the tone of the radio that I don't particularly miss the DSP. If you pick one of these up remember that the radio is getting up there in years so as with any older radio there may be some maintenance that you'll have to do to make sure that all is well. The TS-430S has been known to gradually short one of the boards due to age, but this is easily rectified by simply tightening down a few screws - you can find the specifics of how to do this out on the Internet. Definitely an excellent all-around radio that's perfect for a beginner or a cost savy ham that appreciates an excellent quality, good sounding rig. Not rated a 5 due to the age of the radio.

N6INM Rating: 4/5 Nov 29, 2001 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my TS-430 since 1985. Bought it new. It is a great rig and worked many countries with it. For its size and features, it provides more than what I need. Working split is its best option I think. If you see one for sale and are on a budget, I highly reccomend this radio as a first or back-up rig.

K1SMM Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2001 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Flawless!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never a problem in twenty years of use. What else could you ask?

KH6DV Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2001 06:17 Send this review to a friend
wont give it up  Time owned: more than 12 months
My TS-430S has been powered up non stop for the last 15 years without a single problem, thats reliability. The receiver is great and the tx audio is very good. I have the narrow ssb, am, and narrow cw filters installed. In a previous review there was a complaint about slow switching on tr that made the 430 unsuitable for the data modes. There is a very common mod that is easy to do that will correct this. Navy mars for years used the 430 at numerous stations for amtor which switches much faster than pactor or gtor. I have used my 430 on amtor/pactor/gtor for years with amazing thruput after the mod. The best feature this rig has to offer the data operator is fantastic stability. I have a pair of sgc2000's running on pactor and they cant come close to the stability offered by the 430. I had a TS-450 with the optional high stability unit and sold it two months after buying it because of poor stability and the fact that it trashed my other rigs with wideband noise. When the 430 is running the other rigs dont know its on the air, its clean. I do run bandpass filters but the 450 was so dirty they were not enough. This is one durable little rig. I dont reduce power that much in the high duty cycle modes (pactor/gtor) and its like the timex watches, takes a beating and keeps ticking. It will probably be an endurance race to see which one of us expires first, me or the 430, as I dont plan of getting rid of it ever.

Ron KH6DV Kaneohe Hawaii

KD5NMI Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2001 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Dependable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great all around rig. Hot Receive and Great Transmit Audio (better than many new rigs). Easy cure for the "muddy" AM audio = engage the RIT and turn left to approximately 9 O'clock, and NO more muddy audio.

W4IIV Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2001 22:42 Send this review to a friend
good performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Got this radio for christmas this year because I wanted a general coverage reciever.
Installed the AM filter and the AM is great.
Transmitted audio is superb, almost rivals my hallicrafters HT-32.
Only prob i had was the vox would not work, turn it on and the transmitter locks on.
All and all not bad for $400

K4PDM Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2001 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Good value today  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig is a great example of the good used radios that are available today at such reasonable prices. I bought mine used when they came out, and had loads of fun with it for probably three years. My biggest complaint is the speech processor, which with some mikes tends to pick up audio reflecting from the room surfaces and gives an "echo" effect. Other than that, its entirely OK, although I would rate it below its nearest competitor of the day, the ICOM IC-735.

K1YPB Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2001 16:39 Send this review to a friend
A Good Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two 430's. I bought unit #1 in 1984 new and liked it so much I bought unit #2 in 1986 new. These have been my only HF rigs since. I have enjoyed them very much. Both are like new in mint out of the box shape (no dust, finger prints or smoke film) They have served me well over all the ARS HF bands as well as in USAF MARS service. I have never had any serious problems with either radio. True, they are not perfect, and maybe do not have all the bells and whistles of the newer digital and dsp rigs, but when you consider what they do offer in the package, for its size, it is a pretty darn nice rig for the money. Simple to operate, functionally user friendly, nice looking, and reliable. A good radio for the beginner as well as seasoned operator. What more could a ham ask for? I suggest that if you are looking for a nice rig, and can find a nice one buy it... if you already have one... keep it. My 430's are like old friends. I can't see hamming without them.

KB1FOT Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2000 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This has been my first HF rig and I love it! I am using it a lot for PSK31 and it is doing a great job. I have made many DX contacts. Unforntunately it does not stop whenever it picks up a signal when you are scanning the band, that is what I do not like. Besides that, it's great! I have done a lot of research and compared many radios and finally decided on this one, not in the last place because of its price. You can pick it up for about $400, the best investment you will ever make. Although I would like to get a more modern rig some time next year that has more bands and has a direct computer interface.