Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra HS-2700/Pro Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra HS-2700/Pro
High Sierra HS-2700/Pro Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $400
Description: Longer version of the HS-1800/Pro.
More info: http://www.cq73.com

You can write your own review of the High Sierra HS-2700/Pro.

G8WVW Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2005 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Really, really GREAT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just come to end of week one of HS2700/Pro ownership. Below are my initial impressions:-

PERFORMANCE = 5!

First contact from my home here in ZD8 was Japan on 40m, that is 15,800 km. The third contact was a MM5 on 60m (yes 5-MHz), a distance of 7,500 km. This was using an IC-706M2G with 100W. The performance is outstanding!

Previous mobile antenna systems have been 10 whip and Icom auto-tuners, a selection of G-whips and homebrew centre-loaded antennas. The HS2700 beats them all by a very big margin, especially on the lower bands.

CONSTRUCTION = 5!

This is a impressively big antenna. Mounted on the tow-hitch of my European station wagon, its tip is some 13-1/2 off the ground at full extension with the loading coil well clear of the vehicle bodywork. The build quality of the antenna and its mountings appear first rate but we'll see how it weathers in the harsh climate of Ascension Island. The handbook does emphasis the importance of annual maintenance.

CONTROLLER = 2

The antenna is great but the controller is about as basic as it could be with a simple rocker switch for up or down. There is no indication of the coil extension or any aid to tuning. To be fair this is as advertised but it does make adjustment while driving very difficult as you have to reduce transmit power, watch the transceiver VSWR meter for a dip, then put the transceiver to full power. On my IC-706, this is impossible to achieve safely while driving and I am sure other antennas of this type have similar problems. I have ordered an I-box which should make this process slightly easier in that the controller will automatically reduce the transmit power but you still have to watch the VSWR meter. I believe the simplest answer to this problem is to insert a simple bridge in the coax that emits a tone whose pitch changes with the VSWR. This would allow the tune point to be found while keeping both eyes on the road.

SERVICE = 4

High Sierra seemed reluctant to sell me the HS2700 and tried to persuade me to buy the HS1800! WHY? The UK dealer, Waters & Stanton did not stock the HS2700 but were extremely helpful in placing a special order which arrived promptly and without fuss. Thanks Bill! The antenna did arrive with three brackets missing; two of which I do not need with the current installation and the third had been improvised. I await the missing bits.

OVERALL = 5

This is a fantastic, no compromise, very high performance antenna.

Ian.