Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sennheiser HMD-280 Help

Reviews Summary for Sennheiser HMD-280
Sennheiser HMD-280 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $$309.00
Description: The HMD 280 is perfect for broadcasting in high-noise environments. The headphone pads are tightly sealed around the ear and the noise-compensating supercardioid microphone rejects external noise. Features: single-sided cable; hard-wired XLR and 1/4" connectors; very good attenuation of background noise; microphone can be worn on either the left or right hand side. Headphone frequency response is 8 Hz-25 kHz; impedance is 300 ohms. Microphone frequency response 50 Hz-13.5 kHz; impedance is 200 ohms.

You can write your own review of the Sennheiser HMD-280.

AE2T Rating: 3/5 Dec 31, 2009 01:14 Send this review to a friend
Great headset if you understand how to use it.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've used a Heil Proset for many years and loved the mike element, but wasn't crazy about the headphones. They were comfortable, but there was a plastic-on-plastic creaking noise with the slightest movement. Both pivot points broke at the sides at one time or another. I patched them up, but finally sent the set back for refurbishing. (Which, incidentally, they did a super job on and was much cheaper than a new set.)

While they were gone, I wanted something to use in their place. I had been using a mixer and a performance-style mike. I had the Sennheiser HMD 280 from some podcast work I had done, so I tried them out.

Pro: The Sennheiser headphones are very comfortable without a hint of mechanical noses like the proset. While they are full-range transducers, I didn't find them objectionable or tinny.

The Microphone element sounds good and I got some compliments on the audio. Since I was using a mixer between it and the rig, the audio can be tailored with the mixer settings.

The headphones are very rugged, more-so than the Heils, and can fold up quite compactly. I've carried these, as well as the headphone-only version, in cloth gig bags for several years and never broken one. Both sides of my Heils had broken despite being stored in a hard-sided case.

Con: You do need some sort of a preamp. Connecting them directly to the radio left the audio weak and thin. But I already was using a mixer, so no problem. I know a lot of Hams are doing the same thing in their shacks these days, so that's not a big deal.

The element is not a HC-4 and not tailored to communications frequencies. The ear transducers may be too wide-range for your liking, or for certain rigs.

The price of the Sennheisers is high, list at over $300, but you can find them for around $220. That's still way higher than the same headphones without the boom mike, which often can be found for under $100.

I love this headset, but only because I already had one. If I was buying one for Ham use, I'd probably stick with the Heil Proset for lower cost and higher performance.

My repaired Proset is back now, so I have a choice of which one to use.

K8JHR Rating: 3/5 Jun 24, 2008 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing and Uncomfortable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I waited with great anticipation for this headset to arrive. Ultimately, I am disappointed. The dynamic mic has a very low, weak output and needs to be driven hard by the mic input on the radio - a TenTec Omni VII. It gets good sound reports, but has to be driven high, and one risks distortion and pushing the AGC all the time. The earphone receivers sound good, but play all sounds, so any hisssss the other phones may not play is reproduced right along with the sound you wanna hear. Also, they are rather heavy and have a good solid pinch to them - which is good, I guess, as it helps the ear pads cut ambient noise significantly, but the vinyl ear pads "squeak" and "crunch" as you move your head around, and the cord makes a thumping sound as it tugs on the case. Using Heil cotton earphone pad covers helps cut this down considerably, but the headset should not make noise as it sits on your head.

I am returning to my old favorite, a Shure 512 headset mic - even though it has only one earphone receiver. Or possibly going back to other headphones that do not make shuffling noises as I move my head, and using a desk mounted mic. My cost was about $220. I think the Shure SM2 would be a better bet with a hotter mic, and most likely more comfortable earphone cushions. '

Just MY take. Your mileage may, of course, vary. /// K8JHR ///

K1XV Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2008 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Great with W2IHY gear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use a W2IHY 8 band equalizer, which feeds a W2IHY EQplus. The 8 band equalizer has, in addition to "ham" microphone connectors, provisions for a standard commercial XLR microphone input. The 8 band also has provisions for matching different impedance microphones. It also has pots for adjustment of microphone gain for mikes with different output levels.

As a result, this headset works fine with amateur radio gear if you use the W2IHY 8 band unit as an interface. I have only had this a couple of days, but used it for three hours on DXing the other day and there was no undue fatigue from wearing the headset. This is a high quality piece of equipment for commercial use. Got good audio reports from those who know what I sound like.

The only thing else I can say is you will probably need a stereo headphone extension cable, because in most shacks the place you plug in the microphone may be feet away from where you need to plug in your headphones.

NY9H Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2007 12:25 Send this review to a friend
probably the BEST headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used cheapo computer headsets which work great with their electret element,if you need the very cost effective route.
THIS headset (for those who want the best) which has a dynamic element, properly connected works great, and feels VERY fine after many hours of use... using with ICOM exciter..which does require proper preamping up to the expected "electret" level. built VERY WELL,,,
it is a sennheiser..who actually makes the stuff,
and knows about microphone design//.
mine came from ebay ..used for 150$....GREAT DEAL
I also have A HMD 414 & HME( elecret) 1410...aircraft headset...,. all work great when properly installed...

KF4EOM Rating: 1/5 Jan 15, 2007 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No amount of audio processing could make this headset sound good. I have the pro version and it has a very poor mic element that causees distortion very easily when trying to drive it. And you really do need to drive it because the design prevents the mic boom from being placed in front of your mouth. You "point it toward the corner of your mouth" the manual says. It's not long enough to go any further which makes it hard to drive a radio without lots of drive; which in turn distorts the audio.

I worked with it and 5 different pieces of audio gear with no benefit. I'm sending it back before it's too late.

W7JK Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2005 23:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am using this headset in conjunction with audio processing gear and the results have been extremely gratifying. All of the parts are replaceable and it's virtually indestructible. Don't let the MSRP scare you away. A person can easily locate a much better price through a Google search.