Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | ProAm HF Mobile Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for ProAm HF Mobile Antennas
ProAm HF Mobile Antennas Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $19.95-24.95
Description: Band specific loaded whip antennas for mobile and portable operation with 3/8" X 24 threaded stub. Available for 75M/80M, 40M, 30M, 20M, 17M, 15M, 12M, 10M, and 6M

You can write your own review of the ProAm HF Mobile Antennas.

M0CFM Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using ProAm Mobile Antennas on and off since 1996, where I lived at the time I had no garden, i used them from a forth floor balcony fed against a tuned counterpoise. I used one for each band (160m - 6m) and they worked fantastic, my license conditions at the time permitted only 3 watts (UK Novice) and I worked some great DX! Even the 160m is good, I've since moved and now have a garden and still use the 160m Whip for my weekly club Top Band Net, as for quality, this Whip was second hand when I got it and its still going strong! Here in the UK you can't get the ProAm antennas anymore, I had to settle for a AmPro 60m whip! (I don't know what the difference is but they look identical)
If you have little space you can certainly use a ProAm (AmPro) whip! They are easy to tune and stay tuned when disassembled! I've even used 2 x 80m whips in dipole configuration and although difficult to tune, once tuned worked very well indeed! A rotatable 80m dipole!! Of course these antennas are a compromise but if that's all you can use, it's better than nothing! They really do work and for the price you can't go wrong!

VY2REG Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2009 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the 20 meter ProAm mobile antenna attached to a magmount on my truck roof. With my 10W Icom 703 I get good signal reports from European stations. Today I made a contact in South Africa, signal report was only 45, not bad considering that it was a 12,000 kilometers contact using 10 Watts mobile.

Antenna quality is excellent. I like the way the antenna unscrews in the middle and you retain the stinger adjustment.

WS4Y Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2007 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent results on 30 meters  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the 30 meter model on a trunk mount on my
Ford 500. My rig is the IC-703 so only 10 watts of
power. Never the less I had great results keeping
skeds with W7JI in Kansas while I was in the Florida panhandle. I especially like the way
the top whip retains the frequency setting during
break down and assembly. A good product and great
value

KA4AXS Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2006 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Good DX  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used several ProAm Valor HF mobile hamsticks--40,20,17,15 & 10 meters. The price is cheap and they are easy to use. My Kenwood 480SAT tunes them up very nicely and I don't have to fiddle with them. In just a few months, I've worked over 75 countries including 3Y0X on 20, 17 and 15 meters with 100watts. I also own a 15m Lakeview Hamstick and I like the ProAm better because I can unscrew the whip without having to get out a screwdriver to disassemble the antenna.

AI4IJ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2005 19:26 Send this review to a friend
High quality! Great Value!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The ProAm HF Mobile antennas are band specific, loaded whip antennas for mobile and portable use. They compete directly with the Lakeview Hamstick (R) antennas.

My first purchase of a ProAm HF Mobile antenna was the 17M model. The build quality is excellent and incorporates a high quality chromed base with standard 3/8" X 24 stub, 4ft. black plastic laminated fiberglass loaded section, brass whip attachment stub with two allen wrench set screws, and an adjustable 4ft.stainless steel whip.

I tried it out first with a standard single magnet mount antenna for stationary mobile use. It tuned up nicely, but with some RF feedback on the line. But, I attribute that to the mag mount and the lack of a current balun at the base. Once I incorporated a few ferrite chokes at the base, the RF feedback on the RG-8x feedline was eliminated.

It performed well, with some nice contacts in Europe with good signal reports - despite the compromise mount.

I then tried it out mounted to a standard ground plane mount with four 1/4 wave resonant radials on a ten foot antenna mast supported by a fiberglass and aluminum step ladder. The results were much better. I was able to compare the signal reports back to back with a 1/4 wave wire ground plane with four 1/4 wave radials with the feedpoint at about 20ft.; and, the ProAm loaded whip compared very favorably. Some stations could not discern the difference between the two antennas. Other stations reported as much as 1/2 to 1 S-unit difference in signal with the ProAm being a little weaker. Still, a few stations actually reported the ProAm as being a little stronger. In the final analysis, there was no clear winner between the two. But, because of the loading, I would have to say that, technically, the ProAm shouldn't be as strong as a full-sized vertical.

Nonetheless, I was sold on the ProAm. The advantage of not requiring trees for support and the ability to attach to standard antenna mounts makes it a very convenient and attractive alternative to a wire ground plane.

So, I returned to my local HRO to purchase additional models for other bands. To my dismay, they were largely out of stock of the ProAm models; but, they did have the Lakeview Hamstick models in stock. So, I purchased a 20M ProAm model, a 15M Hamstick model, and a 10M Hamstick model.

Immediately, I noticed significant differences between the two different brands. The main difference I noticed was that the ProAm models were designed such that you could preserve your tuning settings while the antenna was disassembled; because, the brass fitting into which the stainless steel whip mounts is also removable - not so with the Lakeview products. The Lakeview products required that you loosen the set screws used for tuning the whip to remove it. Another significant difference was in the build quality. The ProAm models seemed to be of a higher quality. And, the ProAm models were $5.00 less expensive at $19.95, rather than $24.95 for the Lakeview Hamsticks.

These differences were enough that I returned the Lakeview products a couple of days later. Luckily, HRO had just gotten in a new shipment of the ProAm models; so, I replaced all of the Hamsticks. And, with the money I saved, I purchased an entire set of quick disconnects. I also ended up purchasing two of the ProAm 40M models and a dipole adapter. I didn't purchase the 75/80M model; because, I intuitively did not expect to be satisfied with an antenna that is so heavily loaded; and, the price was also higher at $24.95.

I will say, however, that the 40M models did not perform nearly as well - either as verticals, or configured as a dipole. A simple full-sized wire dipole for 40M suspended from a tree in an inverted V configuration just blew them away. The 40M models are also much narrower banded - because, of the extra loading required, of course. In short, I wouldn't recommend the 40M models for general mobile or portable operation wherever there are trees available to support a wire dipole. Of course, if you must operate mobile on 40M, a wire dipole isn't an option; and, the ProAm 40M model is no longer than any of the others. With a suitable mount, it is acceptable for mobile operation; and, is a lot less expensive than a screwdriver antenna.

I haven't tried the 75M/80M or 30M models; and, probably won't. But, I have been quite pleased with the 20M, 17M, 15M, and 10M models - especially, when configured as a ground plane with resonant radials for each band. And, I color-coded mine with colored electrical tape, as well as color coding the resonant radials. This makes setup and band changes a breeze. Otherwise, it is almost impossible to discern the difference between the various models when they are all out of their packages.

They represent a very cost effective, and high quality, option for mobile and portable operation. I can highly recommend the models for 20M, and above, for power levels up to 250 watts. If you like Hamsticks, you'll love the ProAm HF Mobile antennas. They have all the benefits of the Hamsticks, and then some, including better build quality and a lower price.

Richard