Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | The Original 3898 Pecker Help

Reviews Summary for The Original 3898 Pecker
The Original 3898 Pecker Reviews: 56 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $65.00
Description: The Pecker is designed to tune any tube final transmitters and amplifiers for SSB use fast and safe. It uses a single pulsed tone at a 30% on 70% off dutycycle. The short dutycycle helps keep dangerous heat buildup off your expensive tubes. It is NOT similar to MFJ's amp tuner the 214 and others that plug into the cw jack and use a pulsed carrier.
More info: http://k4avu.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1298636

You can write your own review of the The Original 3898 Pecker.

K2HN Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2016 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Product-New Source  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these years ago from Larry and found it to be a great help. Since then, over the years of relocating etc.. I had sold my amplifier along with the tuner. Recently I have purchased another amplifier and in search of another tuner I discovered they can now be purchased at http://www.k4avu.webs.com Look identical and good customer service.

G4OBB Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2013 12:07 Send this review to a friend
if you have a tube amp....you need this  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got mine, always been a bit dubious tuning my AL1200...this is SO simple wish I'd got it years ago. Thanks Mr Pecker

VK4SX Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2012 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to the shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I lost my original Pecker in the floods of 2010/2011, I recently purchased a ACOM 1500 amp, boy what a beautiful partnership, the TRI tuning of the A1500 is magic, then couple in the 3898 pecker, and then time is halved again
most definitely aids in tuning the amp for SSB,
use CW to tune the TRI indicator, then use the Pecker 3898, and if is noticeable to the eye, that the Pecker takes any little differences out of the equation, and when modulating in SSB after 3898 tuning procedure, the TRI Indicator does not move about.
great gadget, well made, good service, an a handy item in the shack,
Thanks Larry

N1TIZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2012 05:18 Send this review to a friend
Amplifier pecker device the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently read about this amplifier tuning pecker, and decided to purchase one. Well the unit is very well built, and performs exactly as described to properly tune your amp for ssb. The directions are very well written, and had it up and running in no time. I had a few questions, and called the seller / builder. Larry was extremely helpful before, and after the purchase, and explained he wanted all his customers to be 100% satisfied with his product. It so easy to use, should have had one long ago, saves your expensive tubes,and gives them extended life. N1TZ

W8GTX Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2012 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What more can be said. Nicely built, fast shipping. Works great. No longer do I need to AHHHH into the mic and external load to tune the amp. Makes this fast simply easy and saves on that poor little 3-500Z of mine :-)

G4AWJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2012 00:42 Send this review to a friend
Amp Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Larry, in the few days I have had your unit I am sold,great little piece of equipment,tune-up is a breeze and worry for my tubes is removed,really is plug & play, find I can now change bands quicker and with no sweat,I will highly recommend your unit in conacts,so Larry,your marks on this test is 10/10+.well done.
regards.
Gordon. G4AWJ

KR9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2012 11:50 Send this review to a friend
One of my best purchases for the shack  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was shopping for a CW pulser when KB4OEI's SSB pulser was recommended to me. It's easy to use, don't have to worry about stressing my 811H's tubes anymore and I'm getting full spec'ed power out with about 60W exciter drive power - except 10m where I usually drive with 45W. This is an outstanding addition to my shack! I added labels so I'd notice when I'd left it on (9V battery powered) and still left it on all night once so added a $2 flashing red LED to the box - solved that minor problem. I like the low grid and plate tuning currents, but was really surprised at the pecker tuning point resulting in a hundred or so more watts out of the linear amplifier.

KD8QNC Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Great tuning .. cool running  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the 3898 Pecker for about 2 weeks and it does exactly as advertised. I can tune my ante tune and 3-500z based amplifier to run perfectly at full output from my Kenwood. The tune up is fast with nothing put under a strain in the process. My amp. puts out as much SSB as specs allow while getting a perfectly coupled grid load. The pecker is a "must have" for anyone wanting to get the most from your amp on SSB.

WA3UOO Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2011 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product that gets the most out of your amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned an Ameritron AL-811H for two years and have never been able to get the rated SSB output power from it. That is, until I bought the 3898 Pecker. This product makes tuning up my amp incredibly quick, easy and accurate. Great job Larry!

AK4NO Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2011 14:21 Send this review to a friend
I Like It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A nice addition to the shack. Best of all it works! I can now easily tune my tube amp to peak output with no worries. Fast and easy.